The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

If my maths doesn’t let me down that’s…. err …. a fair few drill bits.

Bear got exactly the same answer.  What's even better is that whoever designed the storage box most thoughtfully left a storage slot for a 6mm drill bit as well - and Bear had a nice shiny new spare 6mm Dormer drill in the tool chest so that's now in the drill set as well.

I do have a second set of 1mm to 6mm drills in 0.1mm steps - some of these are starting to show their age so I figured a nice shiny new set for "best" would be nice and also makes financial sense; as I identify which older drills are getting blunt I'll turn them upside down in the case and replace them with new as required.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, BoD said:

I have just received an e-mail from Northern Powergrid, our electricity supplier, saying that following an amber met office warning there is the possibility that the supply may be affected.  I suspect @DaveF @Two_sugars and others may have had the same.  Having checked the met office's own site the warning appears to have been downgraded to yellow, although it is still the first named storm of the season. Otto I believe.  We are on the bottom edge of it so those further north be be hit harder than us.

Unfortunately the direction of the wind suggests that there will not be the chance of any spectacular photographs of waves breaking over the lighthouse this time.  A pity as they have just repainted it for the occasion.  

Yes we got one of the earning emails....in Leeds.. better to be safe than sorry

Baz

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Oh and just to pip  Q to the post we have a narcissus - that's a daff to you lot, out in our local park.

A bit bedraggled I will admit, I think someone had attempted to pick it, but still its out.

IMG_20230216_165249.jpg

There were lots at RHS Hyde Hall. We have some out in our garden, all near a west facing fence. The same variety planted on the other side of the garden haven’t bloomed yet. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Done a bit of shopping at Tess Coes, just for a few bits and pieces. I bank with Nationwide and have done so for almost 45 years. I had an e-mail from them this morning stating that when I shop at Tess Coes and other major supermarkets between 9th of Feb and the 30th of April using my Nationwide debit card I will get a 5% cashback up to £10 per month. Quite handy as I have spent £45 just today.

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Condolences card about your brother?

I very much doubt it, unless its from the golddigger.

3 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Joking aside, I have seen this...  Usually in springtime. Sometimes horses just love a ****** good roll, especially if it's sunny and they've just been put on a new field. It's a bit worrying for a few seconds until you realise it's just high spirits! 

Nor is it confined to horses. I well remember a certain dog, who, when he thought I/we weren't paying him enough attention, would roll onto his back and stick his legs in the air. If that didn't do the trick, after a few seconds, he'd start barking (while still upside down). He would probably have got on well with the awl, as at the time I was building a layout in the garage and he was outside on the lawn. If he didn't see me for a while, legs up time! Photographing this was tricky, as if I was in sight he'd roll back and start tail wagging. But one day I managed a frame before he was right way up again. (Apologies for the poor photo, it's from a cheap camera and has been on my wall for many years, with some UV fade). 

76837669_Charlieinverted.jpg.e0da1ff87e1b5cfda76d38f41af5a00e.jpg

He doesn't seem too pleased at being caught on camera.

32 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Oh and just to pip  Q to the post we have a narcissus - that's a daff to you lot, out in our local park.

A bit bedraggled I will admit, I think someone had attempted to pick it, but still its out.

IMG_20230216_165249.jpg

I have some just in front of the house, they haven't flowered yet and I'm not expecting them to as they are in constant shade until April when they do flower.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Narcissi have been out a week here, the snowdrops are almost over, the crocus in full bloom.

Given the wind outside this evening, there'll be none left in the morning.....🤧

Yes but you're on 'foreign' turf so to speak Neil so I wouldn't expect anything else.

It used to be that you would see them in the supermarkets but I've not seen any. Now of course someone will pop up and say they saw them in sainsbods or wait rose only the other day.

I know you can get them flown in from the isles of Scilly or from deepest darkest Cornwall but they charge quite a bit - ask me how I know. One thing I do know is that there's been a big push in floristry to only use UK grown flowers in recent times but unless you grow things under cover, 50 acres of polys anyone? you are handicapped if you want to that.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Lovely place. Honeymooned on Kaua'i - pre-Hurricane Iniki*. It took a long time to rebuild after that.

We stayed just across the road from the Coco Palms Resort, badly damaged by Iniki. As of today, that still hasn't been rebuilt.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12