The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

@Tony_S Do you think that the prevalence of flat earth ridicule postings on science joke sites is contributing to teh spread?

I really don’t know. I suppose it could be a similar process to that of satire programmes where the person saying unpleasant things somehow becomes a role model. Sometimes things started as a joke can attract a lot of followers. The chaps who started making crop circles with ropes and weights even after fully confessing are disbelieved by the alien visitor believers. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Flippin’ eck.  Or words to that effect.

I need some 20mm  T2.5A fuses. Preferably ceramic but not essential.  £2.59 for 10 on Amazon.  Thinking about the postage and wait, I thought I would have a look at Screwfix.  They have fuses that size but Worcester Bosch labelled and with a replacement part number for their boilers. £27.99 for 10.  Can fuses differ that much in spec. and tolerances?   Like I said, Flippin’ eck.

Off to do more searches.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

11 hours ago, AndyID said:

There's a great example (and very local) example of how one junior researcher, J Harlen Bretz, stood the scientific establishment on its head just one hundred years ago here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula_floods

That reference reminded me of the Parallel Roads of Glen Roy which seems to be an example of a similar phenomenon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Roy

Many years ago I identified them on an OS map and decided they deserved a visit.  Although they are called roads and are easy to identify, they do not make easy walking as they consist of quite large rocks - at least the ones I investigated.  That was all part of a pleasant week tramping across the Highlands starting in Aberdeen and ending up dipping my toes in Loch Linnhe on the west coast.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Round of applause 2

At work I wear Rohan stuff as much as possible, Double 2 short sleeve shirts as the Rohan ones have gone trendy and not practical, and Karrimor shoes. This is from practicality as I'm often crawling round fixing deckh stuff and taking pix as well as teaching.

And it's just comfortable.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I really don’t know. I suppose it could be a similar process to that of satire programmes where the person saying unpleasant things somehow becomes a role model. Sometimes things started as a joke can attract a lot of followers. The chaps who started making crop circles with ropes and weights even after fully confessing are disbelieved by the alien visitor believers. 

You have reminded me of my current mailing-list signature:

Archbishop James Usher claimed that the heaven and earth were
created on Sunday 21st October 4004 BC at 9 a.m.  This too was

incorrect, by almost a quarter of an hour.      -- Good Omens

• Like 7
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

You have reminded me of my current mailing-list signature:

Archbishop James Usher claimed that the heaven and earth were
created on Sunday 21st October 4004 BC at 9 a.m.  This too was

incorrect, by almost a quarter of an hour.      -- Good Omens

I thought it was Dr John Lightfoot, vice chancellor of Cambridge University, who claimed October 23rd... 

That's in my copy of 'The Book of Heroic Failures', sub-section 'The art of being wrong', immediately before the entry 'Rail travel at high speed is impossible, because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia' (Dr Dionysys Lardner, University College London, as you ask). 

• Like 16

7 hours ago, polybear said:

As are Air Miles.  When you're retired you'll be very very glad you did.  Ask Bear how he knows......

In other news......

Bear has sanded the joints on the coving; I've just given the joints a wet-wipe to get rid of any dust and now a few areas will get a second dose (using fine surface filler this time) to get rid of any remaining surface blemishes.

7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

“Science” is basically all about testing hypotheses. Unfortunately for some reason some people just will not accept that their test/proof is not supported by evidence or replication. I find it amazing that flat Earth or young Earth beliefs still exist or worse are being more widely promoted. 

I'm going to stick my head up here, quite happy to have it blasted off though if someone disagrees, but I wonder if the failure to comprehend what science is about, is because there has been a downgrading in its popularity and a corresponding surge in none science or science 'light' topics in education.

Whether that is because such courses tend to be perceived as easier and so more likely to obtain a pass, which in turn ensures the education establishment it's existence is I think worth considering as well.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

9 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

I wrote these some years ago because I was getting questions from younger researchers about the common units they were finding in documents in both measures and money. I'd lived using them and could translate relatively easily.

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/historic-british-coinage/

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/ancient-and-non-metric-measures/

And most useful they are too - particularly the coinage which most online sources don't consolidate the way you have done John.

Google's 'search bar' unit converters are quite handy for measures - though they don't do the gill or the larger more obscure Imperial measures like firkin, barrel and hogshead. (They do include the "oil barrel" which* is 35 Imperial gallons / 42 US gallons, as distinct from 36 Imperial gallons in the Imperial barrel.)

* As of course you note

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Google's 'search bar' unit converters are quite handy for measures - though they don't do the gill or the larger more obscure Imperial measures like firkin, barrel and hogshead. (They do include the "oil barrel" which* is 35 Imperial gallons / 42 US gallons, as distinct from 36 Imperial gallons in the Imperial barrel.)

* As of course you note

I thought the firkin was the British Standard unit of excess, normally used in two's. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

I used to wear a suit every day.. even when having to climb in and out of tanks. Reduced that to 4 days a week by getting the boss to have dress down Friday ( a half day anyway). 

Saved me a lot of dosh when I moved to a company who did lots 9f work on building sites as you didn't wear a suit.. well a boilers suit on occasion!

Idohave a wedding/funeral/ b7siness lunch suit? And anyone want any ties.. I have loads of them!

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

A quite enjoyable day has been had.  After breakfast a brief walk was walked but I could only manage just over a mile as The Hip was not enjoying the excursion and that's putting it mildly.  On our return we had a fairly long chat with a friend who was outside washing his and his wife's cars.

Meters were read and I had a pleasant surprise as although more gas has been used the electricity was a lot less than the previous month so the net result is a lower cost for the month.

Steve popped in for a chat at lunchtime and stayed for a couple of hours and then it was time for rugby.  At least England managed to win but it'll take a lot more than that to get me too excited. 

Tonight I managed to surround a portion of very nice steak and mushroom pie made by The Boss and of course it was accompanied by a glass of wine, only a small one though.  I think I need to take the diet more seriously as I only lost 1lb last week.

Now waiting for the The Boss's skating programme to finish and then we'll probably watch Vera.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

Working in IT, most companies have introduced corporate polo shirts, much more sensible in Australian climates. Even the government IT branches have them. I still have hidden  in my bottom drawer the short-lived one that the Secret Services division of Defence put out - black with an "SS" (secret services) logo. ...

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. As I will shortly having a funeral coming up I will have to give some thought as to what I will wear. I have a black jacket and trousers and a roll neck jumper in suitably sombre colours. Only problem is shoes, due to problems with my feet I only one rather tatty pair of shoes.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Whether that is because such courses tend to be perceived as easier and so more likely to obtain a pass, which in turn ensures the education establishment it's existence is I think worth considering as well.

Some (most?) schools have been ‘gaming’ the exam systems for years to ensure that their data satisfied Ofsted and in turn the local press.  Toward the end of my career there were an awful lot of staff who believed that if you trained your pupils to answer the exam questions and they got a grade C (pass) then it was for them you were doing the service rather than the school.  I suppose to a certain extent that was true as x number of passes were the key to further education, training and possibly jobs.  How much educating and understanding was taking place was debatable.  

It was difficult for an individual to ‘fight’  against such a system that attached so much kudos to a good Ofsted report and even more  stigma to a bad one.  I think things were just starting to turn away from that approach a little bit when I retired.  I don’t know what the situation is like now.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10