The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, pH said:

A thought - would these units have been appropriate if the report had been discussing “Fat Man”?

It'd probably be censored for being not politically correct.....

7 hours ago, pH said:

We are the first house on our street. Drivers who realize they’ve made a wrong turn will often use our driveway to turn round. Sometimes they’ll clip the landscaping timbers at the side of the drive - I’ve had to replace several over time. 

I’ve thought about putting something more substantial and taller in their place. The problem is that we have to reverse down the steep drive into the street and due to combinations of frost, snow, inattention etc. I, my wife and visitors have also clipped timbers on the odd occasion.

What you need are some Thunderbirds Palm Trees.....

7 hours ago, BSW01 said:

After dinner she watched a couple of films, whilst I once again did some work on the kitchen plan and I’ve now come up with a plan that both Sheila and I are happy with.

Bear's kitchen planning tip of the day:

Watch out for the corners.....

https://advice.diy-kitchens.com/customer-questions/plan-kitchen-corners/

Bear here....

Today?  Dunno yet.

Bear gone.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I wrote these some years ago because I was getting questions from younger researchers about the common units they were finding in documents in both measures and money. I'd lived using them and could translate relatively easily.

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/historic-british-coinage/

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/ancient-and-non-metric-measures/

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

The issue is due to the classification of the land - highways or whatever the equivalent is for the IoM, own 1.5 m from the kerb edge ( there exceptions to this) and anything placed on it such as a concrete or timber post is classed as a 'permanent' structure. Can't remember if shrubs are but what I have seen used are planters or large pots. Of course you run the risk of them being 'acquired' or damaged but they will not have any permant impact on the land.

6 hours ago, AndyID said:

Did you find out which one of your neighbors shopped you? 😀

• Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

We had a nice lunch with Aditi’s Mum yesterday. It wasn’t quite as planned as she had frozen one of the items  instead of putting it in the fridge overnight but we sorted it out. Over afternoon tea we got her chatting about her life before the family fled from what is now Pakistan. Her cousin (two families lived together ) was supposed to get married but didn’t want to, she wanted to study mathematics. So MiL, who wanted to go university the following year suggested her cousin went on hunger strike but MiL secretly passed her food and water.  The deception lasted 3 days after which the family accepted the girls were going to study more. Aditi wondered what happened to make her Mum so conventional and authoritarian when Aditi was a teenager. 
On the way home on the M25, we overtook a motorbike. It was in the second lane, doing about 50mph. As I went and was checking the mirror just to make sure I was quite clear, I realised the bike had no headlight on. 
Anyway I have been tasked today with sorting out why the en-suite extractor fan is noisy. The instructions state the motor is removable for cleaning. Perhaps it is. Otherwise it will be a trip soon to Screwfix to collect one. 
Tony

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Thought provoking, Ian.  It is Highways here too, as part of the Department of Infrastructure. 

In the village of St Mark's they had an issue with speeders, so made chicanes of planters about three feet square and four feet high on alternate sides of the road.  First weekend, someone drove straight into one!  They had reflectors.  Must go by that way and see if they're still there.  Or what's left of them.

Next thing was one of those signs that shows your speed and a smiley/sad face.  These are seen as a competition by the kids to see how fast they can drive through them.  Speed cameras are not in legislation here, not sure why they have not been introduced- possibly because the Courts system couldn't cope with the number of prosecutions they would bring.....Harry The Hat who does 40 everywhere in his rusty Allegro Vanden Plas would be forever getting done.  the kids would just slow down where they are.  Then cut them down.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Trains per hour?  
Cheese-gratings per pizza?

Pobble-beads per square black-hole?

My favourite unit that I came across during my education was the “barn” used by particle accelerator physicists. Originally defined in fractions of square angstroms but now in metre squared. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

14 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Thought provoking, Ian.  It is Highways here too, as part of the Department of Infrastructure. 

In the village of St Mark's they had an issue with speeders, so made chicanes of planters about three feet square and four feet high on alternate sides of the road.  First weekend, someone drove straight into one!  They had reflectors.  Must go by that way and see if they're still there.  Or what's left of them.

Next thing was one of those signs that shows your speed and a smiley/sad face.  These are seen as a competition by the kids to see how fast they can drive through them.  Speed cameras are not in legislation here, not sure why they have not been introduced- possibly because the Courts system couldn't cope with the number of prosecutions they would bring.....Harry The Hat who does 40 everywhere in his rusty Allegro Vanden Plas would be forever getting done.  the kids would just slow down where they are.  Then cut them down.

You could try getting permission for the planters given that you'd already been contacted by them. Would certainly stop the neighbour in his tracks if he moaned again. Those blasted cameras are every where here. Traffic lights being the favourite. A couple got attacked I seem to recall. The speed indicators do recall the speeds as I've seen a print out showing the various speeds - 66 in a 30 mph zone!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I'm not a big fan of long haul flight but if you must flay long distances then the good seats with ANA are a good way to go. 

As are Air Miles.  When you're retired you'll be very very glad you did.  Ask Bear how he knows......

In other news......

Bear has sanded the joints on the coving; I've just given the joints a wet-wipe to get rid of any dust and now a few areas will get a second dose (using fine surface filler this time) to get rid of any remaining surface blemishes.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

the mark of intellectual honesty is the soliciting of contrary evidence and theories'. Though probably in Latin!

“Science” is basically all about testing hypotheses. Unfortunately for some reason some people just will not accept that their test/proof is not supported by evidence or replication. I find it amazing that flat Earth or young Earth beliefs still exist or worse are being more widely promoted. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:
4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I'm not a big fan of long haul flight but if you must flay long distances then the good seats with ANA are a good way to go. 

As are Air Miles.  When you're retired you'll be very very glad you did. 

We always used Seatguru to identify the best seats.  Once Emirates had their fleet of A380s as staple on the Dubia - Melbourne and Dubai - London flights we knew which seats to book.  The London aircraft have the higher-density seating (an extra three rows iirc) meaning it wasn't as simple as always looking for 43A or 43K.  A better row on the high-density aircraft was 45.  A or K for window seats without the inward curve of the body towards the front restricting your space nor the lack of overhead lockers caused by the configuration of the cabin.  Added to which you were among the first to be served by the trolley and were only a few rows back from the lavatories and could always see if there was a queue.  

I had to leave my quite considerable total of air miles behind when the need to fly long-haul ended around six years ago. They expire after three years in most cases.  I still have a few but their value gets donated to the Emirates Foundation in lieu of being any use to me.  I don't altogether agree with the way of life in Dubai but when in Rome ..... and we only ever transited their airport (which I accept supports their regime) and never entered the city itself.  

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, DaveF said:

So I was very surprised when he told me that Harold and Kathleen (my grandparents) had stayed there in the 1920s, before Dad was born

“There is a small matter of the bar bill…”

My great grandfather used to get a few repeat and generational visitors at the place he worked at in Birmingham. My grandmother was actually born there, in a turret.

• Like 16