The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Will be going out shortly to Tess Coes to get a few essentials, and to draw more tokens for the toy fair tomorrow (Rayleigh). If you want cold Mount Washington is the place to be, with the added wind chill it will be -78C.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/04/mount-washington-as-cold-as-mars-as-polar-vortex-brings-record-breaking-windchills-of-110/

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Just found this on YouTube.  I suspect that Stewart @45156 and other pickers and strummers may like it.

Yes indeed - I've been a subscriber to all four main participants channels for some time, and they are all superb musicians, both collectively, and individually - nice to see that I'm in good company - they have toured Europe as a foursome without the bass player, but I've yet to see them live.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

more snowdrops have bloomed and the crocuses are putting out plenty of leaves.

Ours are the other way round! Lots of leaves on the snowdrops and crocus are in flower. 

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Leccy C.U. Box sanded.  Tick

Two coats of Primer added.  Tick

Some prep of the Hallway wall carried out - much more to do.  Tiny Tick.

Today's din dins was somewhat adventurous for this Bear; I've had a packet of "iNDi Grand" Balti Curry Sauce in the cupboard for soooo long it was 2 years past it's "Best Before" date - I've never tried it before and when I saw it in Home Bargains I thought I'd give it a punt.  Actually it was rather good** - I bunged it on top of some of the freebie Broccoli & Carrots from NNNND, as well as some Peas.  Seemed to work ok too.  Oh yes, and I bunged a Scotch Egg on top for good measure.  Not quite sure what Aditi would've made of it though.....

(**TBC - it's quite possible that the Beary Bottie may have other views tomorrow.....🤣).

Incidentally, Bear has a sealed unopened packet of "Tilda Long Grain Rice" that's got a BBE date of July 2020 - will it be worth trying, or shall I ditch it?  Google suggests that'll be safe.

Bear gone.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thoughts with Barry O family.

Snowdrop and daffodil greenery around but not flowers and croci have not even surfaced.

In some ways the late/first in-laws did what they could and their total 'remaining donated wealth' was a cheque for 14d (old money).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear has a sealed unopened packet of "Tilda Long Grain Rice" that's got a BBE date of July 2020 - will it be worth trying, or shall I ditch it?  Google suggests that'll be safe.

Sealed dry rice should be perfectly fine and the date is only “Best Before” (which is no longer legally required) not “Use By” (which is because some foods are much more risky). One thing: cook what you need, discard any uneaten cooked rice and use the opened pack reasonably quickly. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 03/02/2023 at 09:02, Ian Abel said:

Outside temperature this morning retrieving the newspaper... -25c - a dubious win for sure, but I don't expect any other ERs can beat that.

Out correspondent from Guelph, ON ( @BR60103 ) came close at -21°C on Friday if the Accuweather website is as accurate as it implies.

It has been very cold in eastern states/provinces in the last day or so.

News reports indicated that the wind chill temperatures* at Mt. Washington, NH were the coldest on record anywhere in the US, including Alaska. 

* Though not actual temperatures - which are the 'official' record.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The errant Chinese 'weather balloon' has been shot down. I wonder if the one over Latin America wandered off course too?

I thought that they wouldn't shoot it down because of the danger of falling debris?

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I thought that they wouldn't shoot it down because of the danger of falling debris?

Waited until it got over the Atlantic coast into territorial waters

US shoots down suspected Chinese spy balloon over Atlantic Ocean. Balloon was downed over North Carolina coast, with the goal of recovering the remnants before they sink into the ocean

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/04/chinese-spy-balloon-shot-down-us

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

Just now, PhilJ W said:

I would have thought that the best way to deal with the balloon would be to puncture it sufficiently to make it descend slowly so that it could be captured intact.

My guess, is that it was more important to have a controlled recovery space where a local can't get to it first - the USN is very good at underwater recoveries and assets can more easily be maneuvered to be in place ahead of time than over irregular terrain. There's no guarantees on what is/isn't part of the payload including (conceivably) fuel cells* which can be dangerous to handle.

* More likely Li-ion batteries, given the solar panels

Logistically it was tricky. The plan (speculated yesterday) was to down it within the 12 mile limit of territorial waters - trickier than it might sound from 60,000' with variable wind.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5