The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evening All!

13 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear suspects this is the same stuff:

https://www.frost.co.uk/lumiweld-kit-10-rods/

Same sort of idea but not the same material I believe.    There is (or at least was) also Technoweld.  I have not used either of these products so I can't say with any authority but the reports I've heard of them were very varied in their praise hence I stick with what I know.   There is a definite knack required in using Alutite but it's not difficult.   Perhaps the problem with the reports on the other products were actually problems with the users rather than the product?   Not sure.

The blurb on Lumiweld mentioned it works on Mazak.   We all know about Mazak .......

I can confirm that Alutite works well on it too.   I rescued a broken Amal carburettor casting that had lost one of its lugs.    This was the first job I did with the Myford's vertical slide.      Worked well.

319130660_CarbRepair(4)-Small.jpg.eeb4bb550f048fa153f548dc76a188e9.jpg

18 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Sorry folks - just had news that my best friend at school and since had a massive MI and died last night.  RIP

Sorry to hear your news Peter.

In Other News

Very nice work on display there Mr @polybear.   You have been busy bear!

Today has seen the  attachment of the "Make Good" block for the crankcase casting.   It has been securely fastened with the aid of 3 countersunk M5 screws.   I think I might forgo the Alutite "Belt & Braces" on this occasion.  I can't see it going anywhere as it is.

At last!     A Sunday morning bimble and breakfast is planned for the morning.    We are venturing to the outskirts of the late, lamented ChrisF's stomping ground.      I've almost forgotten what a Full English looks and tastes like!

Alan

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Well Mrs SM42 and her friends have gone out to the pub to meet up with some other friends. 

I have around two  to three hours before I act as Joe le Taxi and there is the potential for a gaggle of giggly girls to be in residence later. 

It could be a long night which may involve the further intake of intoxicating substances once they return. 

Alternatively they could all shuffle off to bed and not be seen till morning. 

It's difficult to predict which way it will go. 

Andy

7 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Today has seen the  attachment of the "Make Good" block for the crankcase casting.   It has been securely fastened with the aid of 3 countersunk M5 screws.  

M5?  On a Beeza??

Shame on you, Puppers.......

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

I was surprised how cheap venison is, you can pay the same or even more for beef. You can't go wrong with it in a stew or casserole.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TheQ said:

It that were down in Norfolk, there'd be grockles out there wondering why they were surrounded by an increasing amount of water.

"There's now so qu33r as folk" as they say oop north.  And there's no accounting for why some folk set off across the sands of Lancashire and Cumbria just because they are temporarily not covered by water.  

The water returns very very quickly and silently too.  Becoming cut off and / or bogged is life-threatening for victims and rescuers alike.  

There are regular rescues from the Kent Estuary around Arnside.  No doubt farther north as well.  It's not just a Norfolk "thing".  

• Like 10
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, polybear said:

A few projects from Night School 🤣

A Drop Rivetter:

IMG_3401.JPG.887fd7be880127ac5af32c21263cf707.JPG

A "Thing" for forming curves:

IMG_3402.JPG.f98b20785124c72f2d55e51a30c687ee.JPG

And another one:

IMG_3403.JPG.aba4d4c8f2580da54aba874c60016d19.JPG

A Tailstock Die Holder:

IMG_3404.JPG.c8d65de5052a7b1191076bd2883b74ec.JPG

A Taig Toolpost:

IMG_3405.JPG.ec608ea028605efcf50fce8b490ea2d6.JPG

More to come..........

Very impressive Mr Bear, especially with paws the size of shovels!

I have a drop riveter, a bought one, but it’s not had a lot use yet and the rest of the stuff, I haven’t a clue what’s it’s for but does look good. Are the items to go in your display case, a sort of modern art collection?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

It's not just a Norfolk "thing"

We had a day trip to Brancaster Beach when we visited Norfolk last September.  There were  signs about the time the access road could be flooded and the car park was really wet even with the tide out. The OS map wouldn’t have encouraged me to wander out to sea over some of the visible sand. Anyway that day it was so windy even venturing very far along the sand was an effort. We thought we would find a nice pub for lunch but couldn’t find anywhere open. We eventually drove to Hunstanton and had fish and chips. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

23 hours ago, PupCam said:

No Alutite is not an epoxy adhesive it is like an "Aluminium solder" - it is most definitely  not solder but for our purposes can be considered to be like a solder for aluminium.     It comes in the form of a thick wire (about 1/8" diameter) and is bought by the metre.   It's not cheap at ~£50/m but if used correctly is very economical so not actually expensive on a per joint basis. 

The way I use it is to "tin" (to use the soldering analogy again) both surfaces and then sweat them together.      It uses no flux but the tinning process is critical because aluminium oxidizes immediately it is exposed to air.

So, you clean the surface to be tinned with Emery or Wet & Dry paper immediately before use.   Then using a blow torch (it's not a soldering iron type of job) you melt a small amount of Alutite onto the surface of the aluminium and using a very sharp pointer (I use an old Rat-Tail needle file) you scrape the aluminium through the pool of molten Alutite.  Because the air is excluded by the Alutite it then sticks extremely well to the newly exposed fresh ali.   You keep scrubbing away with the  pointer until the Alutite covers the entire area of interest.   Then repeat with the mating surface followed by clamping the two together and re-heating to sweat the two together.  A very strong bond is the result if the joint covers a reasonable area.

I have learnt through bitter experience 😂 that because it is normally harder than the aluminium it's difficult to clean up any "extra" that's kicking about  so best to only get it where you absolutely need it (which helps with the economy!). There used to be a chap who supplied it who went to various model, motorcycle and car shows and also the ME exhibition although I haven't seen him for years.    I bought my last lot from Permagrit tools, if you've not discovered Permagrit tools you've missed out particularly for woodworking they are fantastic - usual disclaimers just a satisfied customer.   Alutite is not on their website but you can phone them up to order it.

https://www.permagrit.com/

This is a little dummy speedo gearbox I built for the Beeza.    First photo is the two main bits that have been "tinned".

656889767_TinnedBits.jpg.321fbdc1111a1bdae4a30d422487cc6c.jpg

Second photo shows them sweated together.  The joint is as-is with no cleaning up.  It really does pay to go sparingly!

Joined.jpg.a72dd08373fce4fbc10cbc1112808f4a.jpg

And a quick sandblast in the neighbours cabinet turns it into a "Casting" just like an original Smiths job.   So far no motorcycling Rivet Counters have spotted the subterfuge!  🤣

1774108213_FinalAssembly.jpg.6fd256b2740e35981d3a1c62aa9b7fcb.jpg

Hopefully that is of interest.

Alan

Yes thanks very interesting.

I only did metal work at school for one year I think  the only thing we did was a bit of riveting and forge work. 
I did learn one thing though, when you drop an item that’s been in the forge don’t pick it up with your hand, use the bl00dy tongs! For a time I had a nasty scar on my palm, rather like the Nazi ‘baddie’ in Raiders of The Lost Ark. however I didn’t go around saluting.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

M5?  On a Beeza??

Shame on you, Puppers.......

😬

In my defence; I would just like to say that I have a number of M5 taps, I have an M5 tapping drill, I have an M5 clearance drill, I have a number of M5 countersunk screws but I don't have any corresponding imperial jobbies and I want to geronwithit.  

Note: I've been very careful not to mention this misdemeanour to the Beeza so as far as it is aware they are all Whitworths .....    😀

Night All!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

"There's now so qu33r as folk" as they say oop north.  And there's no accounting for why some folk set off across the sands of Lancashire and Cumbria just because they are temporarily not covered by water.  

To get to the other side.

Back in the 70s a group of us went across with official guide.  He'd take about 100 or so at a time, and progress could be a bit slow.  The second time we did it, he mentioned to a few of those who had no problem keeping up that there was a return trip available.  About 10 miles each way.

Adrian

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The water returns very very quickly and silently too.  Becoming cut off and / or bogged is life-threatening for victims and rescuers alike.  

There are regular rescues from the Kent Estuary around Arnside.  No doubt farther north as well.  It's not just a Norfolk "thing".  

34 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We had a day trip to Brancaster Beach when we visited Norfolk last September.  There were  signs about the time the access road could be flooded and the car park was really wet even with the tide out. The OS map wouldn’t have encouraged me to wander out to sea over some of the visible sand. Anyway that day it was so windy even venturing very far along the sand was an effort. We thought we would find a nice pub for lunch but couldn’t find anywhere open. We eventually drove to Hunstanton and had fish and chips. 

Not as dangerous as The Broomway.

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20170110-why-the-broomway-is-the-most-dangerous-path-in-britain

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just had a ham roll for supper, proper ham, not that tasteless pink and pasty stuff full of water that passes for ham but the real McCoy. All washed down with a muggatee (or two).

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

As are my shoulders.  5 barrow loads from the ready use pile to the Verandah, about 80 yards each way.  Then a box of kindling.  What really did for the shoulders was shovelling a few barrow loads of soil later.

Jamie

Self inflicted then so you won't get any sympathy from me I'm afraid Jamie.

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

The thing that shocked me most was the alleged level of complicity of neighbours/fellow countrymen in the vile acts that were part of the ethnic cleansing.

Having seen a very good "neuroscience explained" documentary series where one episode focused on the human need for belonging and how that can be manipulated, it is sadly not shocking at all. This programme avoided the holocaust but focused instead on the more recent Bosnian genocide to illustrate just how 'easy' it is for people who had lived together for years to turn on each other based on redefining the 'in group' versus the 'out group'.

16 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

Programmes like this have to be shown…lest we forget!!

Yes. Very much so. The regular reminder of just how possible such things are is necessary, as is education.

A news programme last night shared of a recent survey in the US that found that in the young generation, 34% believed that the Reichskanzler* (of the Third Reich) came to power by violent overthrow rather than democratic election.

* Usually known by a more familiar name meaning 'leader'.

Never again.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Oh! you keep your grockles to yourself please.

We have enough to contain with without you sending us your lot thank you.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Very impressive Mr Bear, especially with paws the size of shovels!

I have a drop riveter, a bought one, but it’s not had a lot use yet and the rest of the stuff, I haven’t a clue what’s it’s for but does look good. Are the items to go in your display case, a sort of modern art collection?

56 minutes ago, figworthy said:

To get to the other side.

Back in the 70s a group of us went across with official guide.  He'd take about 100 or so at a time, and progress could be a bit slow.  The second time we did it, he mentioned to a few of those who had no problem keeping up that there was a return trip available.  About 10 miles each way.

Adrian

The time to worry is when only ninety eight make it back.

• Agree 10

It is dreary and dark this afternoon and (very) light rain is beginning to fall. We are forecast to have cold air infiltrate from the east, but despite the precipitation, only trace amounts of snow are projected this evening, even though tomorrow's low should approach -6°C. It's still around 7°C at 3:00pm.

When I checked the mailbox I was surprised to see a flight of three Black Hawk (presumably) helicopters flying quite low (though well above treetop level) but well under the deck of the heavy clouds.

Golf from southern California is on. The final round is being played today (rather than Sunday) to avoid conflict with the penultimate NFL playoff games tomorrow. During one of the bumpers going to commercial they had some nice drone footage of a grey whale* with a dolphin playing in it's bow wave.

* currently migrating north

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Not read “the Old Ways” but did enjoy one of Robert MacFarlane’s other books “Underlands” which is subtitled “A journey into Deep Time”. In it he visits various underground places including the Crypts under Paris and a number of isolated caves and deeps, looking for a place in which to secrete a box with something of his past he wanted to let go of.

”Old Ways” is on my list to read.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4