The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

I'm not asking anyone to support Soviet/Russian state actions, just to understand why they might (either reasonably or unreasonably) fear certain things which they see as threats. And react accordingly. The English Channel/La Manche has always been something of a private moat for Britain against the tides of european events. Switzerland has the Alps. Japan also has a maritime 'buffer zone'. As Il D [almost] says, Russia has nothing ... For better or for worse, that's always going to affect a country's behaviour, both at an individual and state level.   

In life I find there are two axioms which are abused/ignored most of the time:

-In statistics, correlation is not causation; and

-to explain and try to understand is not to condone.

I think the second is rather pertinent in world affairs, and always has been. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, BoD said:

I must remember that being  a sensible diabetic is for life and not just when I want to be. 

Um, yes - my HbA1c has slipped considerably, but testing just after the holiday period was probably unfair.  Still in the green but much higher than usual.  Back, like you, to being strict with myself.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Mrs NHN reported traffic delays this morning getting to work, mountain road closed.

Oh yeah, it was frosty....surprise surprise.....#sigh.

Must have been a good driver as he/she missed the fence - and not a wall in sight this time . . . . . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 5

29 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Must have been a good driver as he/she missed the fence - and not a wall in sight this time . . . . . 

Not a Mercedes driver you see. Takes a skilled driver, that's not a Mercedes driver by the way, to hit an unmoving object like a wall.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

11 hours ago, TheQ said:

Contrary to many people's beliefs after the 1745 Jacobite rebellion, not all the Highlanders were hunted down and killed.  Several officers who were known about and a lot more men, mostly not known about until much later, chose to join the British Army. Many of the  men had not been " loyal to the cause" but had been loyal to their clan chiefs and there is evidence some were "strong armed" into joining the Jacobites.

About 900 were transported to the North American colonies. 

The 1746 Act of Proscription famously banned the wearing of "Highland dress", except (less famously) in the army. Two highland regiments (almost 1,500 men) were raised in 1757 to fight in the Seven Years War. The 77th Regiment, (Montgomery’s Highlanders) fought in the Battle of Fort Duquesne (now Pittsburgh) in 1758.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, Grizz said:

I trust that it wasn’t used in a film about tanks in the following paint scheme……as that might just probably be viewed as a tad insensitive in some [places]

Not as bad as "Erika"/"Heather". A harmless, yet somehow quite terrifying song about little flowers and girls back home.

(I'll let the curious find recordings online, today being International Holocaust Remembrance Day, it doesn't seem fit to link to them.)

Or the Panzerlied.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Gold

The PupCam BSA restoration was very impressive. I rebuilt a musical cake slice yesterday. Definitely not in the same league but my silver grey Milliput moulding was rather pleasing. Can’t see the join at all!

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Evening All!

Left =        What it should be (Original crankcase casting)

Middle =  What it is  (Replacement crankcase casting)

Right =     Block to "Make Good" (Match new to old)

643457102_StrapMountRepacement.JPG.238ab5f90b0b71f3275967c6213a2b20.JPG

The block will be Alutited AND bolted to the base casting so shouldn't get away! 🤞   There are some subtle angles and radii on the face of the block that mate with the casting.    The close up highlights the fact that Puppers' fitting skills are not perfect hence the Alutite.  

The strap that retains the magdyno (not an insignificant lump of equipment ) is retained by a bolt that screws into the horizontal tapped hole that is visible on the original casting.    On the replacement but earlier casting the strap was retained by a peg that screwed into the vertical tapped hole.   The block is not quite finished yet; the retaining hole is still a black felt pen mark not a tapped hole!   Also the tapped holes that will retain it to the casting have not yet been done either.

In other Beeza news;   The neighbour and I re-assembled and "trued" up the crankshaft today.    Two hours of fiddling about trying to clamp V blocks in the right position on the bed of his mill to provide a jig, an hour to "little by little" tighten up the bigend nuts and check and adjust the runout of one axle against the other.    The nuts are done up to the engineering torque of "F...... Tight" (100ftlbs +).       One of the new crankshaft bearings has been fitted in the case and the crankshaft runs nicely in that and the phosphor bronze plain bearing I turned up a few weeks ago.   That will need facing off at some point to set the correct end float of the crank.   

In other Astronomy News;  Puppers has found another stacking program for astro images.     This has been downloaded and is currently running on the Orion Nebula photographs of the other night for evaluation purposes.   It seems rather pernickety to set up but has the benefit that it is script driven.   Puppers experience is that script driven processing can be extremely powerful for little effort.      May I recommend Avisynth to anyone who does any video editing .....

Anyway, with all this array of different "technical stuff" it will be apparent that Puppers has learnt so much about so many things since he gave up wasting his time working for a living!

Just when Puppers thought his credit card was safe he spotted the notification of Batch 2 too.   Turdycurses!

TTFNQ

Alan

I think I preferred it when you just posted the photos of the green spoldge.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11