The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings all from a Sidcup which was -4 when I took Younger Lurker to school and -2 when I drove the car at lunchtime. In between times, there were plenty of meetings with the new boss. She has the plan to learn all there is to learn in about 4 weeks flat. What she will learn is that 4 weeks is not enough for that....

Well I was glad to see iD back but it made me realise we haven't seen SimonTaylor for a while now - he was having a tough IIRC when he last did a drive-by posting so I hope he is coping OK.

• Like 13
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

I watched Vera.  As usual I spent most of the time working out where it had been filmed.  Where the body was found and where the factory was were on two different rivers.

We used to do that with shows like the “X Files” and “MacGyver” which were filmed in and around Vancouver. Best examples were things like car chases where they could  slide round a corner in downtown Vancouver and suddenly be in a different place several miles away.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Perhaps I'll have a lie down and try again another day

Do not they not invite you for an annual medication review? Aditi had one by telephone but I was sent for. I have been sent for to have another one at the end of the month specifically for my heart medication. I had the blood test for that this morning. I managed to fit in a trip to the recycling centre on the way home too.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. No problems from Arthur Itis or the eczema today so I was comfortably able to do a big shop today. Biggest problem is that over the last six months or so I have felt a lot weaker. In fact I have had to purchase items such as the bath stool. I've still got to sort out an alarm button.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Do not they not invite you for an annual medication review? Aditi had one by telephone but I was sent for. I have been sent for to have another one at the end of the month specifically for my heart medication. I had the blood test for that this morning. I managed to fit in a trip to the recycling centre on the way home too.

Bear has an annual medication review - the last was probably 3 or 4 years ago....

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Bear falling through the hatch from beamland.

Nope......

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

I do hope that the answer to @polybear's question does not reference the hatch and beamland!  🤞

Nope.....

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

I suspect something more to do with a power tool or maybe a power tool ceasing to be a power tool?    I do hope said tool has not provided unintentional consequences to the structure of Bear Towers during the micrometric adjustments of floor boarding in the great HSL refurb 🤞

Nope......

25 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A heavily insured Polina Bear “accidentally” falling down the stairs???

Warmer......

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Splodge tends to indicate a can of paint, which came open after doink doink doing.

Evening Awl,

Two doors assembled, now glue drying near the fire.

Rudder sanded, second side of aft end given reinforcement.

Centre console modified, but there's more to do when the glue has set.

6ft of the bottom of the jib sewn, at 14 stitches to the inch, overlaid by stitches going the other way roughly that's 2000 stitches hand sewn.. Paws now tired.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Doesn’t Gary Parrot deal with such visitors?

Birds do love them, I used to keep some King Quails in the bottom of the aviary, despite their name, fully grown they are the size of ducklings but they would take on any Huntsman spiders that were silly enough to appear in the aviary, and peck them to death before eating them - usually ended up in a squabble with legs sticking out of beaks like spaghetti - I couldn't imagine getting my face that close to them!

5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

That’s only a baby one 

They do come in two size ranges "wheres that Chinese food container?" and "gonna need the lettuce crisper!". This one just snuck into the first category so yes he was on the small side. 

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Jetstar is like a lot of LCCs, they get you from A to B, end of. If you want good service or to enjoy the experience then fly with someone else but they sell their service as low cost no frills transport. If you judge them according to what they are and what they sell themselves as, and not what we want but don't want to pay for there's not much to criticize. 

Jetstar is pretty much "Qantas-lite",  since they are  a fully owned subsidiary of them, created so Qantas could compete in the budget airfare sector without cheapening their brand. Jetstar Asia is 49% owned by Qantas.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

What goes:

"EeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekDoinkaDoinkaDoinkaDoinkaSplodgeFuggin'Piggin'Rattin'Turdycurses"

??

Bear gone.

You bought yourself a pet Eeeeeeeek-er Dionka-er but stood on it.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Not since before Covid.      I have had just one face to face appointment with a GP since before Covid began after months of trying.  You may remember Puppers Patented 'ppointment Procuring Procedure trying to get appointments when to be frank, I was in no fit state to faff about with such shenanigans.   Anyway, approximately 5 hours after that appointment I collapsed in a big heap on the floor with a particular form of  heart failure.  Fortunately I was in A&E at the time so was scraped off of the floor very quickly and placed on a trolley.     Some hours later a kind surgeon had inserted a box of electronics ...

Over the months and years folk here may have noticed I'm not totally enamoured with our particular "normal point of contact with the NHS".   I have to speak as I find but I always make a point of thanking those in the wider service (and there have been many over the last couple of years) that have helped me through some difficult times.     But I'm afraid I have little time (or sympathy) for those who through their attitude or approach have not.   

It is far too simplistic to say the NHS is great or the NHS is terrible.      There is a huge amount of fantastic work and care going on in the NHS under very trying circumstances  (I should know, I've had quite a bit of it) but there are also plenty of occasions when a patient is just a number, someone can't be bothered or they are far too quick off the mark making excuses for something not happening or being done instead of actually doing it to give the NHS a universal "it's wonderful" badge.     Anyway, as Murray Walker once said; "I'm going to have to stop now as I've got a lump in my throat" although he said it on the rather more joyous occasion of Damien Hill winning the F1 World Championship not Alan writing a post on an internet forum.

Alan

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, BoD said:

You bought yourself a pet Eeeeeeeek-er Dionka-er but stood on it.

I suspect a precious heirloom like that Franklin Mint Flying Scotsman clock  has tumbled down and is now in kit form?  Will the problem need  some Milliput to repair?

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium

My few flights with Jetstar have not been great. Very delayed, no communications about delays (some of which were downright lies), but at least they got us to our destination.....eventually.

I would put them at the same level as fleasyjet or rhino air...but, as mentioned above by @jjb1970 they use proper airports.

What I cannot get my head around is the fact that things like spiders and snakes in Oz have to be removed rather than squidged. Is this part of a new "woke' culture in Oz @monkeysarefun?

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

27 minutes ago, Barry O said:

What I cannot get my head around is the fact that things like spiders and snakes in Oz have to be removed rather than squidged. Is this part of a new "woke' culture in Oz @monkeysarefun?

Australians* have learned the hard way that disrupting the ecosystem is problematic (rabbits, prickly pear, cane toads, Thylacine/Tasmanian tiger, forest habitat loss, etc). Everything in the natural world has its place.

* As have Kiwis with feral cats.

When that understanding is also applied to fossil fuels things will be better off.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Australians* have learned the hard way that disrupting the ecosystem is problematic (rabbits, prickly pear, cane toads, Thylacine/Tasmanian tiger, forest habitat loss, etc). Everything in the natural world has its place.

* As have Kiwis with feral cats.

When that understanding is also applied to fossil fuels things will be better off.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he'll drive the fish to extinction.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

They do come in two size ranges "wheres that Chinese food container?" and "gonna need the lettuce crisper!". This one just snuck into the first category so yes he was on the small side. 

As the appointed spider-catcher to the court we lived in I had a "Chinese food container" always on hand for spider duty.  It thus never got mixed in with the others which were kept in the kitchen.  And no spiders were accidentally barbecued! 

In a court (cul-de-sac for those playing at home) of only nine houses I was the only person willing and able to catch spiders, encourage possums to leave (you're not allowed to trap and remove them without a licence but you can spread a peanut butter trail which they will follow and go where it leads - away from the house!) and on a couple of occasions even deal with mice either myself or, on one occasion, by bringing the cat with me.  The cat, at that time, was a HUGE of 11kgs with which few mice were prepared to even negotiate.  Not obese - just naturally very very big.  And boisterous with it.  We miss him dearly but oh boy was he a handful or six.  

• Like 16