The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Close eyes = fotrbidden! Re: Unmade up kits.  Recently discovered this one - probably had it 40 years or so.  If the mood takes might just do it but there again ... 1505214779_MAJD1899LMSCorridor.jpeg.13f52d153f678e507f551ae9be74a387.jpeg

Bear searched for MAJ on RMWeb - a grand total of 7 results; all on TNM and nothing whatsoever to do with Kits.....

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear searched for MAJ on RMWeb - a grand total of 7 results; all on TNM and nothing whatsoever to do with Kits.....

I've got a few of those - I'm ashamed to say they are built!  Badly of course, but I was only a teenager then.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, DaveF said:

It's only 3TB and was getting a bit full.

Seems like only yesterday that a 250 Mb hard drive was all one would normally need and well, a 500 Mb drive was the thing of dreams!

That reminds me.  I really must order a new  B i G  hard disk.     400 or 500 new  25+ Mb files after an astronomy session really chews through the resources!

TTFNQ

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 18

44 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Haven’t hears much about the spread of XBB.1.5 in the states recently, although it’s the dominant strain.

A cursory monitor of weekly fatality data in Oregon shows higher fatality numbers for the past three consecutive weeks than any other week since August 19, 2022. Magnitudes are lower than previous 'surges' but there is an uptick.

Hospitals remain full from a combination of staffing issues* and the triad of respiratory infections.

* The nursing profession is experiencing extreme burnout and many are leaving the profession. There are many industrial disputes with nurses' unions, some related to wages, but most related to understaffing and nurse/patient ratios. Meanwhile hospitals' businesses are struggling financially.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

* The nursing profession is experiencing extreme burnout and many are leaving the profession. There are many industrial disputes with nurses' unions, some related to wages, but most related to understaffing and nurse/patient ratios. Meanwhile hospitals' businesses are struggling financially.

So not just the UK then.

• Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, PupCam said:

Here's something for @Dave Hunt to look forward to!  

https://aeroscale.net/news/hunter-fga-9-fr-10-ga-11-summer-release

I was on 20 Squadron based at Tengah in Singapore. We had Hunter FGA9s but also had a one-off that was mainly an FGA9 but with an FR10 camera nose and cockpit layout. We called it an FGAR 9.5.

Dave  

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I can't wait for the warm weather to arrive though the forecasters say it will be Friday at the earliest. The sciatica has cooled off  but its made my feet sore and walking rather difficult but at least Arthur Itis is taking some time off. Now back to Farcebook.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... preparing for teaching tomorrow. It's remembering which batteries to charge that's the 2023 problem. And finding the chargers ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/01/22/covid-down-mainly-different-international-political-approaches/

I see that the Florida guy doesn't believe that Covid 'exists'.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

One way of putting the bins out'

I can think of one flaw though, it relies on the binmen putting the bins back on the train.

The bins already have wheels -  obviously an envionmental improvement ... not.  Also a trip hazard and potential shorting in the cold ... think I will just continue to use the keep fit personal movement approach.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

One way of putting the bins out'

I can think of one flaw though, it relies on the binmen putting the bins back on the train.

I am required to line my bins in the street along the kerb.

This doesn't take the bins from the driveway to the street. The homeowner would have to transfer them from the train in the driveway to the street and back.

3 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

The bins already have wheels -  obviously an envionmental improvement ... not.

It saves dragging them to the backyard. My neighbour keeps his in the back. Every bin day I hear rolling 'thunder' as he drags his yard waste bins past my bedroom.

It's a *lot* of engineering for an inconvenience. Fully autonomous bins would be the ultimate 'tech' solution.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PeterBB said:

I see that the Florida guy doesn't believe that Covid 'exists'.

The world is full of F'wits.

7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It's a *lot* of engineering for an inconvenience. Fully autonomous bins would be the ultimate 'tech' solution.

When a work buddy went to Disneyland he was amazed that, despite the number of visitors none of the waste bins were full - yet he never saw anyone emptying them.

After asking one of the workers he discovered the secret - none of the bins had bottoms - the rubbish would drop right thru' onto a conveyor belt for transfer to a main collection area.

I briefly thought that such a system for every house in the UK would be rather smart....until I remembered the f'wits......

Rubble

Prams

Sofa's.......

OK, ditch that idea.....

• Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Up at 05-30 - the Beary Bonce fired up with destructive thoughts at 04-00 and any hope of getting back to sleep disappeared after that.  Turdycurses.

Today sees prep for the arrival of the Plasterer tomorrow; I also need to add a few more 1mm/2mm plastic shims underneath the new section of floorboard on the landing cos' I discovered there's still a very slight "step" detectable thru' the carpet with the hind paws.  There's a fair chance that with new carpet and underlay that "step" would disappear anyway, but I'd rather see what else I can do now rather than wait until after the new carpet is fitted and then think "I wish I'd added a few more shims under that floorboard....."

After that it's MIUABGA day.  Probably.

Bear gone.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6