The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We have just received a yellow fog warning, or I suppose a yellow warning for fog.  I have no plans to be out during the forecast fog as it will be dark anyway. 

I suppose being dark you won't be able to confirm it's colour then.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We have just received a yellow fog warning, or I suppose a yellow warning for fog.  I have no plans to be out during the forecast fog as it will be dark anyway. 

No mention of fog here (only 4-5 miles away).

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

No mention of fog here (only 4-5 miles away).

The weather app on my tablet says there is a warning (from midnight) for Basildon too. From the Met Office. 
The BBC weather app repeats the warning but their forecast is for clear skies overnight. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Someone has just started letting off fireworks outside. Chinese new year perhaps? Again a do nothing day other than emptying the washing machine and hanging the washing on the racks to dry. I haven't looked at Farcebook for a couple of days so I'd better check in.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Evening All,

Glad to here that Dave is on the mend and getting some decent hospital  grub.
Regular Saturday here except I managed to go to the football match to see  MY team win and quite convincingly.

On hospital food- I was booked in for a non urgent operation and would be kept in overnight and needing gluten free food I mentioned this a couple of days earlier when I was in for a pre operation check.   To cut a long story short, no tea (evening meal) and of course I’d not had anything to eat since the night before so was ravenous. Anyway somethings can get overlooked and fortunately SWMBO came to evening visiting and brought me in a sandwich but flipping eck they handn’t even had the thought to get something in for my breakfast. One of the nurses got me a banana from her lunch box. I don’t usually complain but this was one of the countries leading teaching hospitals and has large GI departments.

Rant over.

Goodnight

Robert 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

I see Norfolk is trying to outdo the Essex seal in a fishing lake story with this headline,

Friday night rescue for confused seal pup spotted outside Norfolk kebab shop

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

Glad to here that Dave is on the mend and getting some decent hospital  grub.
Regular Saturday here except I managed to go to the football match to see  MY team win and quite convincingly.

On hospital food- I was booked in for a non urgent operation and would be kept in overnight and needing gluten free food I mentioned this a couple of days earlier when I was in for a pre operation check.   To cut a long story short, no tea (evening meal) and of course I’d not had anything to eat since the night before so was ravenous. Anyway somethings can get overlooked and fortunately SWMBO came to evening visiting and brought me in a sandwich buhht flipping eck they handn’t even had the thought to get something in for my breakfast. One of the nurses got me a banana from her lunch box. I don’t usually complain but this was one of the countries leading teaching hospitals and has large GI departments.

Rant over.

Goodnight

Robert 

This used to happen to Mum virtually every time she went into hospital. Although she wasn't on a special diet the type of food she could have was restricted due to a swallowing issue. She found out that you had to be in for four days before the nutritionist was alerted. Not that they were much good when they did get to her as often she knew more about it than them.

One time it got so bad we had to take her home because all they offered her were sandwiches which were difficult for her at the best of times but when she was in hospital was guaranteed to choking her. This was after they had been told several times of her condition. What made it even worse was that they threatened her with saying she was discharging herself against medical advice. To say I was livid would be a bit of an understatement. But mum being the generation of growing up before the NHS didn't make a fuss. Me I would have said see you in court.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

If you are using a laptop, and using relatively simple arithmetic, all the calculation functions you are likely to need can be found by searching "calculator". (At least for me in Chrome, I assume other browsers are similar.)

My laptop objected to me searching for certain functions.  Although she didn't object too strongly to me pushing a few buttons 🤣

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I see Norfolk is trying to outdo the Essex seal in a fishing lake story with this headline,

Friday night rescue for confused seal pup spotted outside Norfolk kebab shop

Not only but also.

The Hill of Strawberries currently has its own seal.  Spotted multiple times around the waters of Teddington Lock and also dining on the shores of Eel Pie Island.  Possibly on one of the eels the island was named for although not in a pie; the pastry goes soggy in the water.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64358168

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, polybear said:

Disgraceful.  Bear can't remember the last time I was still in bed at 0900 - I did intend on a "late one" this morning (= 0700) but the "Bear needs a Wazz Alarm" went off at 0540 so I bounced crawled out of the Pit at that point and didn't return.

You are doing it wrong!   You disappear and do whatever is necessary then go back, get into bed and go back to sleep until the next alarm  then repeat ........ and again .......

3 hours ago, polybear said:

No idea what he sees in her......🤣

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64359316

Oh I think I might have spotted it.    I wonder if the moon moves for them?  🤔   On reflection, let's not go there.

Here's something for @Dave Hunt to look forward to!  

https://aeroscale.net/news/hunter-fga-9-fr-10-ga-11-summer-release

Do I need another unbuilt Hunter kit?   No thought not, but then again 🤔

Night all!

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PupCam said:

the "Bear needs a Wazz Alarm" went off at 0540

Usually around 03.30 here.  Which isn't too bad because I can often get another 90 minutes or so of good sleep before the "real" alarm sounds.  It's when the bladder wakes abruptly fifteen minutes before the alarm should go off that I get pi .......... annoyed.  

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

1 minute ago, Gwiwer said:

Usually around 03.30 here.  Which isn't too bad because I can often get another 90 minutes or so of good sleep before the "real" alarm sounds.  It's when the bladder wakes abruptly fifteen minutes before the alarm should go off that I get pi .......... annoyed.  

Rubber sheets?

• Funny 7

4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

This used to happen to Mum virtually every time she went into hospital. Although she wasn't on a special diet the type of food she could have was restricted due to a swallowing issue. She found out that you had to be in for four days before the nutritionist was alerted. Not that they were much good when they did get to her as often she knew more about it than them.

One time it got so bad we had to take her home because all they offered her were sandwiches which were difficult for her at the best of times but when she was in hospital was guaranteed to choking her. This was after they had been told several times of her condition. What made it even worse was that they threatened her with saying she was discharging herself against medical advice. To say I was livid would be a bit of an understatement. But mum being the generation of growing up before the NHS didn't make a fuss. Me I would have said see you in court.

Funnily enough gluten free biscuits were available in the endoscopy unit.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PupCam said:

Oh I think I might have spotted it.    I wonder if the moon moves for them?  🤔   On reflection, let's not go there.

Bear has just read the article in more detail....bluddy hell, she's 63; Bear would've put her at half that (at least).  Must know a bluddy good Surgeon.

9 hours ago, PupCam said:

Here's something for @Dave Hunt to look forward to!  

https://aeroscale.net/news/hunter-fga-9-fr-10-ga-11-summer-release

Do I need another unbuilt Hunter kit?   No thought not, but then again 🤔

Night all!

Bear only has one Hunter Kit .....though I do have "numerous" unbuilt Lynx in 1:32 Scale.  Oops.

9 hours ago, Barry O said:

Welcome to the year of the Rabbit!

Happy Lunar New Year!

Baz

On walkabout 

The one and only Chinese New Year that Bear has experienced was whilst working in Malaysia in the 2000's; we were warned by the resident WHL Rep. to stay off the roads cos' all the local Chinese would go nutz and the death rate on the roads would go thru' the roof - it seems they regarded it as "a good day to die".  The Gov. had actually banned big trucks from the roads over the weekend in an attempt to keep the rate down a bit.

Bear here.....

Today sees Bear attending to the floorboards on the Landing - securing them firmly and levelling one or two up (at least one section is a replacement that's thinner than the originals either side - meaning it feels uneven thru' the carpet).  After that it's MIUABGAD.

Bear gone.

• Like 17

5 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Funnily enough gluten free biscuits were available in the endoscopy unit.

Probably because either a patient or one of the nurses was glucose intolerant and had brought some in. 

Its the little gestures like that that make all the difference really. I know I've ranted on here before how cak handed things can be in hospitals so I won't repeat myself but there are times when I do get really down when I remember just how bad mum was treated at times.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Friendly/supportive 18

26 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Probably because either a patient or one of the nurses was glucose intolerant and had brought some in. 

Its the little gestures like that that make all the difference really. I know I've ranted on here before how cak handed things can be in hospitals so I won't repeat myself but there are times when I do get really down when I remember just how bad mum was treated at times.

No, definitely NHS supplied. At that particular time I hadn’t started my GF life, everyone got gluten free biscuits.

Maybe they have so many people with gluten intolerances coming to the endoscopy unit it’s just the safest way to accommodate them. 
The ward I was on after my op was just a general surgical ward.

Better get a move on, don’t know what’s planned but it’s cold outside and temperature not getting much a above freezing today.

• Friendly/supportive 17