The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Ahh, the delights of doing the washing.  Deep joy.  Once that lot is on the go it'll be MIUABGAD; one job still to do as a part of the Great H/S/L refurb is to take a shuftie at the floorboards on the landing - some are in less than ideal condition after being grollied up by some Neanderthal Leccy some 30-odd years ago when the Council rewired the house, whilst others weren't screwed** down again after I'd lifted them to gain access as a part of the Great Kitchen refurb.  I need to see what needs doing - which are ok and which need replacing; it's slightly more awkward cos' the existing boards are 1920's imperial and new timber will be in metric measurements.

So that's a job for today.  Possibly.

(** Whenever I lift a board I always screw it down again afterwards, rather than nail it)

In other news:

One for Chimpy @monkeysarefun:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-64353334

And Tw@t of the Week goes to:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/driver-ignores-ice-completely-to-go-at-128mph-on-dual-carriageway/ar-AA16zJ3x?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6bb10ffdc396461f86a610dee114f957

- there's a pretty good video of a separate incident in the same article where another Tw@t spins out and nearly causes a pile up.

Bear gone.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

25 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Frosty here but mainly blue sky and there is a glimmer of sunshine low in the East.  It should be a dry and fine chilly day with nottalot of cloud.  -1°C now, might reach 5°C.

Really feel for those people who are either not tech savvy or don't want the latest devices.  The Boss falls into the category of both and doesn't really do computers or smart phones.  She has got an iPad and a smart phone but apart from very basic tasks is not comfortable using them so most things like online shopping, banking and anything involving apps of any kind fall to me.  She is by no means stupid and has got a phenomenal memory but for some reason has a problem with "devices."   This does worry me because in the event of my demise she will need help but at least there are family and friends who can do that.  Many older people don't have that luxury.

Another parcel due today for Herself and Evri have been advising of progress and it will be here today.

I am currently thinking about looking into buying a small and economical dehumidifier for our smallest bedroom as we have a bit of a problem in there.   Has anybody here any experience of these please? According to a humidity gauge I've just bought the RH was 74% in there overnight.

Rugby to watch later and tonight we've got some friends visiting for dinner.  Looking forward to that as knowing them it will be a very enjoyable but long evening/night.

Those magic words have just been uttered....timetogettamoveonthere'slots to do!"

Have a good one,

Bob.

I would check whether your windows are OK, in particular the vents as it sounds like a lack of ventilation.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I didn't go to bed until gone two this morning. What happened was that I 'missed' Amanda and Alans Italian job, no problem as I watched it on I-player. However I-player is now set up to show the entire series back to back including those not yet broadcast. So I watched next weeks program, and the next and so on until I'd seen the whole lot! As soon as I've finished this its back to bed for some more eyelid inspection.  

• Like 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

would have is deciding on the colour. Grey-green is more 'prototypical' for most stormy weather/heavy seas, but most people associate 'blue' with the colour of water so that is always a good choice - viewers will recognize better it as 'water'.

The sea off the coast of the British Isles isn’t the same colour as that children typically use to paint their “our seaside holiday” pictures. I was really amazed on my first trip during summertime to, the Mediterranean where the sea really looked blue.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

(** Whenever I lift a board I always screw it down again afterwards, rather than nail it)

Totally agree about this and have never replaced with nails in any home.  Use screws in everything rather than nails - son says sometimes spoils the look but it's always strong.

• Like 7
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

I would check whether your windows are OK, in particular the vents as it sounds like a lack of ventilation.

Don't think so.  All windows in house replaced 3 years ago and it's not lack of ventilation.  There is a 9"x9" air vent in that room which is always open and we also leave the small fanlight slightly open.  This does make it the coldest room in the house and the problem has only got bad this winter which just happens to coincide with us turning the heating right down.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

7 hours ago, BR60103 said:

We bought a new Internet radio today. This has been a long time in the works.

Due to deterioration of the music provided by the CBC, we now listen to American PBS classical music stations over the internet.

Last spring when I was changing the clock in one radio, I managed to lose 2 stations (by overwriting them).  I then found out that the radio would not search for stations as the company that provided the list was no longer providing it.  A couple of new radios would still find them.

Then something went wonky and the first radio would no longer talk to our modem.

We had a backup in the main room as the cable TV carried the nearest station. Then, over Christmas, our TV black box stopped working and the replacement never worked.  The cable co. said that they were obsolete technology that they were phasing out. So we went to the new technology. But that system doesn't have the radio stations in its lineup.

Last night I found that one store has a small stock of radios. So this morning was spent driving halfway across the big city and back again.

Setup took about half an hour.

Everything is wonderful again.

Don’t need a radio!  I only listen to BBC R3 after lunch finding the mornings full of gratuitous waffle and Classic FM is banal beyond belief.  So I am long acquainted with American PBS services.  I think that TuneIn has something to do with the unavailability of some stations.  However, enjoyment is maintained by streaming these stations directly using their apps on my phone and blue toothing the music over to the info.  Sanity prevails (KWMU-3 from St Louis is a favourite).

Charlie

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I "gottamoveonandlotstodo" have been done so I'm now off the hook and Brownie points banked.  Just had a call from Steve and he's invited himself and partner to lunch which is great as we've got a bit of catching up to do so GDB had best be about it!

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I am currently thinking about looking into buying a small and economical dehumidifier for our smallest bedroom as we have a bit of a problem in there.   Has anybody here any experience of these please? According to a humidity gauge I've just bought the RH was 74% in there overnight.

Bear has one - made by Ecoair and used in the Conservatory; I find it very useful on wash days cos' I can hang the laundry on racks in there and the Dehumidifier sucks the damp out overnight (I don't have a tumble drier).  Cost to run?  No idea - but the rated input is 230 or 340W (there's two speeds) so I'd guess a helluva lot less than a T.D.  It has a digital display for the damp level and you can set it to what you want - I run mine at 45 or 50%.  It'll suck out a tank of water on a laundry day - probably 4L or maybe a little more; the water is useful for use in Steam Irons and I believe plants like it better than tape water as well.

1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

Totally agree about this and have never replaced with nails in any home.  Use screws in everything rather than nails - son says sometimes spoils the look but it's always strong.

Absolutely - and a lot easier to take to bits again in the future should you need to.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All!

8 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

.... and if you lose connectivity how are you meant to find out?

And that is the fundamental point;   There are a significant proportion of society that don't have any "connectivity" to lose.   They haven't got and can't get "connectivity" whether that be due to age,  medical conditions and a host of other considerations.    And that is why it is discrimination and should be made illegal IMVHO.    Time for another GOGGTL chapter .... 🤣

In Other News

Next door neighbour sent me a text this morning at 8:55 to say he and some mates were going over to Dunstable Gliding Club for brekki and did I want to accompany them.   He'd be leaving just after 9:00.    Unusually he was driving not riding (freezing fog here today) and would have loved to have joined them - I've almost forgotten what a Full English looks like!     Only snag was I was still in bed .........  Another time then.

Puppers has recently cleaned up the little Beeza's two flywheels (removed burs from the original big-end tapers, cleaned out oil ways etc etc), cleaned all of the grease off of and out of the new big end shaft, cleaned the conrod and cleaned all of the grease off of the big-end rollers (all 30 of them).   The big-end tapers havd been lapped into their respective flywheel holes and the whole kit and caboodle cleaned to within an inch of its life and then lightly oiled and bagged up.      So yesterday I thought I'd assemble the crankshaft.  When I tried previously it was relatively easy to get the rollers in the big-end as they were held in place with thick grease but not now.    Still a couple of narrow rings of large bore heat shrink sleeve came to the rescue and I managed to get the conrod on!    Crankshaft is now assembled and when the neighbour comes back hopefully he'll give me a hand truing it up.      Small steps towards getting the Beeza back on the road but at least they are all going in the right direction!

TTFNQ

Alan

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The sea off the coast of the British Isles isn’t the same colour as that children typically use to paint their “our seaside holiday” pictures. 

The colour we perceive the sea to be is also heavily influenced by what is above and below it. 

On a “clear blue day” with a calm sea over a sandy bed it can indeed appear bright blue.  But over rocks and weed it can appear green-brown. Stir up the sea-floor sediment in rougher weather and that same bit of sea can appear any shade of brown-green. 

Remove sunlight and substitute cloud and the apparent colour of the sea darkens towards inky green. 

It’s the same where ever you go. I have enjoyed crystal-clear water appearing to be bright blue in Cornwall, far north Scotland (Scarfskerry to be precise) and in Australia. I have also seen all shades of green/brown in many of those same places in different conditions. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Lochgorm said:

Classic FM is banal beyond belief.

I wonder how Aditi will react when I inform her that her alternative listening  to Radio 4  is “banal beyond belief”. 
I listen to a lot less radio than I used to. When I used to travel to and from work the radio programmes kept me entertained in many a traffic jam. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Before the programme on Radio Three at the moment the announcer warned about the language in the program. First time I've heard that This is Radio Three in  the afternoon. Ive just listened all morning. I do not find mornings on R3 as previously described.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

I am being organised. Aditi said my sock drawer was untidy. She decided she would reorganise it. She was most amused to find a glove puppet (a giraffe) stuck at the back. 
A new drawer liner has been ordered too. William Morris pattern apparently. My great grandfather was called William Morris but not the Arts and Crafts one, he was the Winson Green prison one. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2