The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

A laid back kinda day so far - the high point being the descaling of the kettle; I'd left it a bit too long and some areas under the lid & spout needed copious attention with some scotchbright (it's stainless steel) - it's come up well so no harm done.  A reminder to do it more regularly is now set in the email calendar. 

Also carried out was backing up the laptop to various hard drives - also overdue as I've had a reminder for some weeks.

Today's deliveries were the MDF I ordered on Tues (16:00) for the Leccy C.U. Box and the Deltic  😢 Paint ordered on Wed (21:30) for the woodwork and walls - pretty good service in this Bear's Book.

Apart from that it's been a bits n' pieces day so far, apart from an unexpected flying visit from the Plasterer so he could take a quick look at the job and check if Tues am is ok instead of Monday - fine by this Bear.

In other news......

I've relented and used both the C/H & Gas Fire today.  Buggeritt.

Bear gone.

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Although putting them in your freezer is one recommended way of euthanasing them, hitting them with a golf stick thingy so they go pop is more fun, though in that one's case I have a Monty python Meaning Of Life Mr Creosote scene in my mind if someone attempted that.

All up however, cane toads are more @Ozexpatriateterritory!.

And:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-63699884

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, polybear said:
4 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I wonder what it is that makes us feel like that uplifting spirit?

Cake.

When I uplift spirit in around a half-hour from now it won't be cake.  

Probably a glass of Raasay's finest single malt.  To accompany Dr. SWMBO's Raasay gin.  

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... In other news, we’re now becoming old fashioned If we use email. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/01/20/mixed-picture-again/

No comment suitable.. apps do not always work, cash is in short supply and as for parking apps ... also think it diabolical that the railways want to close all booking offices in favour of things that do not always work and especially for those of us who do not do 'smart'.  Sounded like a rant.

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Not allowed that. T2.

Amber nectar from Wales? or possibly Scotland? or even Japan in a certain Doctors case.

Just for clarification for our Antipodean contributers that is not the stuff you call beer or even lager.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Anyway shouldn't it be red as it's getting further away from us- you see I do know some things I'm not just good looking.

Andromeda can’t be getting away from us as Andromeda and our Milky Way galaxy are due to collide sometime , but not soon.

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Good:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-64344896

Joshua Molnar stabbed Yousef Makki with a knife during a row in Hale Barns, Greater Manchester, in March 2019. He was cleared of manslaughter and murder.

An inquest later ruled out both unlawful killing and accidental death and recorded a narrative conclusion.

Bear would've been pretty p1ssed with that outcome as well - I recall thinking "WTF" at the time.

Does anyone know if the outcome of a fresh inquest could potentially lead to a re-trial?

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, PupCam said:

... Personally I would go further and describe the current trend as discrimination against those that aren't able to conduct their business in such a way.   And as for those patronising tw*ts that suggest "If you can't do x,y z yourself perhaps you could get a friend  or relative to do it on your behalf?    NO   WTF should they !!!! ....

That sounds like an insinuating suggestion you should not be let out by yourself. What happens if you are on your own and don't have the latest piece of shiny tech, with no friends or relatives to 'turn to'? 

I agree, it's discrimination against many in our society, including those who think for themselves and decide (for whatever reason) not to buy the latest shiny toy. State sanctioned peer pressure? Pah! 

• Like 7
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. 

26 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Andromeda can’t be getting away from us as Andromeda and our Milky Way galaxy are due to collide sometime , but not soon.

In about six billion years time according to the pundits. By then the earth and the sun will be long gone.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

5 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Fort Stevens

Fired upon by IJN submarine I-25 in 1942 - the only time the Axis made a direct assault on the 48 states*. (Alaska and Hawai'i were not states at the time). It led to an invasion scare.

* Notwithstanding the Fu-Go balloon bombs which did kill six people during a family outing in Southern Oregon in 1945.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

In about six billion years time according to the pundits. By then the earth and the sun will be long gone.

Actually Andromeda arrives as early as 4.5 billion years. The sun is expected to run out of hydrogen in about 5 billion years. 

Galaxy collisions don't destroy all the stars. One assumes there's some possibility that some of them might bump into or attract each other. It is a big gravitational rearrangement.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, BoD said:

I must ask Andy Y if the ads are random or if there is an algorithm that selects ads based on type of websites previously visited.

It is both and neither.

I presume the big pop-up videos are sold directly by Warners.

For the other ads there are some prohibitions, but it is mostly up to AdChoices by Google - which relies on lightning 'auctions'. Websites you visit are likely to bid more.

Curiously (except for the big video) I'm not seeing any advertising right now.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Although putting them in your freezer is one recommended way of euthanasing them, hitting them with a golf stick thingy so they go pop is more fun ...

I take it you've seen the 'documentary' where a VW van swerves down the road trying to hit as many as possible going pop, pop, pop, pop, etc?

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

All up however, cane toads are more @Ozexpatriateterritory!.

True, but funnily enough, from *home* you are closer than he Airlie Beach vicinity where that toad was found.

• Like 10