The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

An excellent lunch of naemyong noodles today, splendid. Naemyong are Korean buckwheat noodles, served cold. The noodles are boiled but quenched and the broth is chilled, often with cold boiled beef. It doesn't sound especially appetizing and I must admit the first time I tried it my reaction probably included a naughty expletive but I developed a liking for it. Done well it is excellent, but you need good buckwheat noodles, as with many dishes which are quite simple there's nowhere to hide so if the noodles aren't good the dish will not be good.

• Like 13

46 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The Big City,  just now.  Pretty.

Dhoolish.JPG.ac46b61421fbcb19eed8ba3f7df22ea5.JPG

Please Sir can we have some snow!

None here. Zip. Narda. We less snow. Snow we not. Lovely clear blue skies. Not. Overcast and snow expected for 2 pm - I do like how the manage to get the weather so precise. Do you think I should complain if it starts fifteen minutes later.

That's me done. Off to walk DD on snow free ground.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit chilly this morning, -7C first thing this morning and still -6C. Managed to get five hours sleep last night as the eczema was behaving itself and Arthur Itis is taking a break. Not a lot to do today, might do a bit of shopping this afternoon but will still have to defrost the car first.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

This is quite entertaining:

https://www.greenpeace.org/static/planet4-international-stateless/2023/01/1f6a7653-ce-delft_co2-emissions-from-private-flights-to-the-world-economic-forum.pdf

Ordinarily I'm not a fan of Greenpeace but CE Delft are a pretty decent environmental consultancy and I know one of the two authors (we're old sparring partners at IMO) and he's a bright guy who does a good job based on my experience of his work.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Yesterday's hospital trip to collect things went well, I have read through the documentation about having a colonoscopy and the diet instructions.  I am trying not to think too much about it.  The bags of stuff to empty me have also been checked and the instructions read.

The "thinking/worrying about it beforehand" is IMHO by far the worst bit; the magic jollop works rather well (I've since learnt that using a straw makes it better to take) and the actual procedure was pretty interesting - I got to watch it live on telly.  All in all, no worries - having a tooth taken out was far worse.

• Like 8
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Mrs H given up with the thought of going to work today - locals are blaming a bus stuck on the hill going south from Laxey, but the bus (she was on) isn't stuck, it is blocked in by cars that skidded on the hill and were then abandoned. Drone photo posted by a local.

1876609024_FB_IMG_16739469069171.jpg.1afad0b118d7362d36a65b1db01b9c3e.jpg

Bear deliberately used to take the country lanes home from work after heavy snow cos' everyone else wouldn't risk it - so they spent hours in traffic jams instead.....

5 minutes ago, pH said:

You mean “very slightly less awful”.

True; I was also told (too late) that I could've mixed it with orange juice to make the taste a bit less toxic.  It seems to get worse the more you drink.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Did you have Klean-prep or Moviprep? Don’t think I could cope with sucking the Klean-prep volume through a straw. I have found that sipping it doesn’t suit me either. I have given up on mixing it with other things.  So I drink half a large glass and then have some lemonade to cover up the  taste. At the end of 2021 I had three colonoscopies in three months so was getting quite used to the taste of such preparations. 

Bear had Movi-prep; once diluted as per the instructions there was rather a lot to drink over a period of time.  In the end I would down it as fast as possible whilst dreaming of LDC.

2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

It can be useful 'insurance'. I know you mentioned a neighbour had a key, if you think it might be a while before moving, a key safe might be worth thinking about too, to ensure easy access and ensure you're not going to have the front door broken down unnecessarily (giving you another headache at a bad time) by police/firemen should your neighbour be out or on holiday. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss, I have some experience with key safes which might help if you did decide to get one.

The two things I'd recommend with key safes are:

(a) mount them on something very, very strong - and use rawlbolts and not rawlplugs (a jemmy will soon lever a box off a wall secured with the latter - they can then disappear, open the box and they've got your key).

(b) mount them somewhere hidden - I see far too many that are obvious from the street, which both invites scrotes to have a go at opening them and it also advertises that someone less able is probably in the house.

The "Sold Secure" Website lists several that are approved:

https://www.soldsecure.com/approved-product-search?standard_grades=&keyword=&product_types=111

Edited by polybear
  • Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, polybear said:

... The two things I'd recommend with key safes are:

(a) mount them on something very, very strong - and use rawlbolts and not rawlplugs (a jemmy will soon lever a box off a wall secured with the latter - they can then disappear, open the box and they've got your key).

(b) mount them somewhere hidden - I see far too many that are obvious from the street, which both invites scrotes to have a go at opening them and it also advertises that someone less able is probably in the house...

Definitely. One consideration is house insurance - keysafes in themselves don't normally invalidate this but you have to meet certain conditions, one of which is securing them to [something very solid] and they recommend other measures, such as concealing them, for obvious reasons. Which can sometimes be tricky in an emergency, as part of the police response is to check the obvious surrounds of the door for such a safe but if you've hidden it or have it some distance away, they could easily miss it. 

The supplier I used provided certain bolts and a special tool for installation/removal. The heads were hidden behind a blanking plate within the safe and given the layout it would not have been at all easy to access this. Yes, a scrote could have brute forced it but the degree of force required (with associated noise) would have been more than just making a forcible entry through a door or window anyway. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Thats one problem I have that there is nowhere on my property suitable for a key safe. The (small) front garden/drive slopes up towards the house and the front of the house has no nooks or crannies to hide a key safe.  

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

This has come up on one of my forums,

https://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record/40623

The Type 85 radar, which was one of the two main radars when I was at work.

Note, the picture of the radar head rotating is a 1/3 scale prototype.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 45156 said:

Me too, but I found that Drake and Macefield produced a pie more suited to my taste - served cold (or warm if desired) and a lot less peppery.  And about 50p cheaper as well - and their sausage rolls - just divine.

Yes, (IMHO) the best butchers in the area. Also represented in 1:76 scale by a certain local miniature builders' merchant... 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1