The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I am looking into having such an alarm

Aditi’s Mum has one. One thing that we were made aware of recently was that her existing one won’t work if her phone is upgraded to a digital service. At present she can delay any conversion. . There is a digital version of the alarm now that uses mobile phone network technology. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 15

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Sounds like a less effective AI chat bot than ChatGTP.

(am kidding, sort of)

It's weird that the essay mill thought they could tap you for payment - from the school of "you'll never get a hit if you don't take a swing" sort of thinking - no harm in trying, etc.

More like from the school of if you try it on with enough people the odds are there will be enough of them who are idiots, gullible, have guilty consciences to make it your 'effort' worth while 

That's the beauty of computers. Amongst the many things they are able to do is doing one relevantly easy thing very quickly and a lot of times with very little human involvement.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Co-op visited.  Tick

Then it was finishing off the framework for the Leccy C.U. Box - all done & pleased with the outcome.  Big Tick.

And after that it was knocking up a new batch of Bear's Patented Chilli Oil - guaranteed to "focus your attention" somewhat (and for lesser mortals to blow yer bonce off).  A whole packet of crushed Chilli Flakes in about 450ml of E.V. Olive Oil; it's now in the cupboard "fermenting".  I have in the past bunged a couple of real Chilli's in as well for good measure but found them unnecessary so don't bother anymore.

All in all, a successful afternoon.  It can't last.

Bear gone.

Too true Bear. Your equalling my all-time high there of three 'good' successes.

I'd batten down the hatches and prepare for incoming if I were you.

Perhaps a duvet day tomorrow?

A concerned ER

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Yes, just by the Springs Branch near the castle. On a later visit I spilt some jelly on a shirt and that never washed out properly either. After a few visits I stopped going. 

It has worried me that any fall bad enough to immobilise someone is unlikely to do much good to a mobile. I wouldn't say it's not worth trying but I wouldn't like to bet my life on it. 

Yes, they are under various names but you can get 'emergency'/'panic' communicators. In my mother's case, she had a neck pendant and a device attached to her landline phone. They saved a few falls from turning out nastier than they were. 

Some of pendant ones operate on a tilt meter/ motion principle. So if they suffer a really sudden fall they go off. They also activate if they stay still for a long time.

Friend of mums had one which she kept forgetting to turn this off when she put it down and they kept ringing her up. Her son said they started to charge her after so many (three?) false alarms.

• Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Trying to plough through Farcebook, whatever happened to 'user friendly'. I've been looking at the various alarm systems and the one provided by Age UK looks pretty good, I'll be giving them a call in the morning.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the visit to Tesco that had been mooted earlier this morning has been deferred until another day, phew! I wasn’t too bothered by this announcement, as it meant that I could spend the afternoon reading the latest copy of BRM and surfing t’internet. I didn’t actually buy anything today, but I did pre-order a locomotive from Rapido UK, a sound fitted E1 in SR black. Other than that I’ve not done anything today. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning.  It's not so windy as yesterday and definitely  no white stuff.  Plenty of liquid fell though yesterday.  I did manage to get out and buy a ton of sand and gravel mix plus some cement.  In between showers I diug out fot the first foundation for the water tanks. The shuttering was placed and the base lined with stones.  Depending on the weather some concrete may be poured this afternoon.  The shopping needs to be done this morning though.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Too true Bear. Your equalling my all-time high there of three 'good' successes.

I'd batten down the hatches and prepare for incoming if I were you.

Perhaps a duvet day tomorrow?

A concerned ER

Bear suddenly realised (at 06-15 hours) that the two "fixed" parts of the front panel on the Leccy C.U. Box mustn't stop the C.U. front panel from being removed if necessary.  Pretty obvious, really.  Fortunately the upper fixed panel - which will have coving attached - will be just above the top of the C.U. so that's rather helpful, otherwise it would've been a right pain (other words are available).  So it hasn't gone to ratsh1t just yet....... 

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Trying to plough through Farcebook, whatever happened to 'user friendly'. I've been looking at the various alarm systems and the one provided by Age UK looks pretty good, I'll be giving them a call in the morning.

These links may be useful:

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/assistive-technology/article/telecare-information-for-the-elderly-adCkx1V2ifWh

and:

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/assistive-technology/article/how-to-buy-the-best-personal-alarm-aiDEp0U1Tdr2

8 hours ago, andyram said:

The rest was very much promotion (or is it propaganda) relating to the TT gauge launch. Of course, as a humble retailer, I am not permitted to stock such a product!

Are Hornby limiting sales to certain suppliers only, or direct only maybe?

5 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

May the awl forgive me.

After deserting ER'ers and setting up on your own?  Not a hope.....incoming......🤣

Bear here.....

The best part of 7 hours unbroken zeddin'.  Big Tick

Bear is expecting collection of a much longed for sale of DIY stuff I've been trying to flog on the 'bay for some months now - the "collect only" bit puts people off (and prices down, sadly); still, at least it's finally sold (STC) and the buyer will be paying cash on collection, so no Paypal Fees.  It'll also mean a lot of guff out of the muddlin' room at long last.  Very Big Tick.

I also managed to win a muddlin' item on the 'bay yesterday for a reasonable price (thanks to a stealer), so another Tick.

Today sees yet more work on the Leccy C.U. Box - starting with the fixed upper part of the front panel & complete end panel; once those parts are fitted it'll allow the ceiling to be coved - but only after the plasterboard done a few days ago has been plastered.  I've had no response from the Plasterer to my text so I'll try phoning this morning.

I also need to finalise a colour scheme - I have a 10% off voucher for The Paint Shed to use before 20th Jan (and 10% off the paint cost is worth having) so I need to get my little furry ar5e in gear.

Oh yes, a load of towels to wash and a C-19 ONS test to do - hopefully a neighbour can post it for me.

Bear gone.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1