The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all. 

The wet and windy weather continues, though thankfully more pianissimo than yesterday. A better night's sleep was had. 

School dinners (eaten at lunchtime) were a bit better than some ERs have experienced, though a few dishes did put me off those for many years. Gravy was one, the sort served at school was thin, greasy and like something Mr Dickens might have described in Nicholas Nickleby. It took around 20 years to overcome that before I could enjoy 'proper' gravy again. 

I dislike granary bread, probably due to the mix of textures. Malted is fine and I like wholemeal but I won't eat granary. Or shellfish, though that's more due to seeing them around sewage outfalls rather than texture/taste. Not that we ever had shellfish at school! No choice at primary school but secondary usually had two or three hot options and a salad option. The latter was never taken due to the frequency with which those who did found ... 'wildlife' ... in the green stuff. 

We could be in good company with childhood dislikes and our tastes changing, Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall was a fussy eater as a child before becoming more ... er ... 'cosmopolitan' with his tastes. Hence his local nick-name, which I won't repeat on RMWeb, even if it could get past the software! And that's by his own admission, not 'alleged'... 😉 

I am sulking as our pending supermarket delivery appears to have been hi-jacked by militant vegetarians. Veg and bread, fine, full rations. But no meat or fish is being delivered. Many thousand turdycurses... 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 11

4 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Naming of virus strains – I do not care to interpret the mindset of those who generate the names. The Kraken is a legendary gargantuan sea creature, said to have been seen off the coasts of Norway and Iceland ..

… or the new (in their second season) NHL team in Seattle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Kraken

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

One of the principal condiments here is sambal which is chilli sauce made using fermented shrimp paste. It's perhaps an acquired taste but once you get a taste for it it's splendid stuff. Potency varies from relatively mild to fully weaponized.

I've got a jar of that in the fridge, along with about 5 different versions of soy sauce. Actually over the last 20 years or so Australian home cooking has become very Asianised, stirfries and salads are much more common now than the previous meat and 3 veg style that we got endlessly served up until the 80s. In turn we are adding Australian touches, one tv chef here uses Vegemite in his sauce  in some dishes. 

Might all be doing some good, the Bureau Of Statistics released last year's information about statistics like they do and we've snuck into 3rd spot in the life expectancy league, though probably due mainly to our minimal COvid death rate in  2020 compared to many other places. We took a bigger hit last year  so next year's results should  show a bit of a drop.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-09/qld-health-life-expectancy-australia-dodges-covid19-decline/101625656

This kind of thing (achieving a result due to others bungling or misfortune) is called "Doing A Bradbury" here, named after speed skater Stephen Bradbury, who won our first ever Winter Olympic gold medal by crossing the line first after the rest of the field, that he'd been trailing, crashed into each other and all fell over on the final corner, he was too far back to be affected and just sailed on past.

33 and sunny has been organized for today, pretty perfect.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had a good day today at the toy fair. Spent about a hundred tokens but none on items that run on parallel strips of metal. The items I did buy were mostly metal, two with wings and half a dozen with rubber tyres. My friend who was with me blew 900 tokens on some vintage items that run on parallel rails (pre-war H-D).

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

My friend lives in South Benfleet not far from @Tony_S. After dropping him off this afternoon as I was driving home I spotted a wooden electric supply pole with what appears to be a bush growing out of the top. I doubt that the pole has sprung into life again, probably a seed had become lodged in the pole and germinated. 

• Like 18
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Still cream crackered from yesterday. Hopefully we can recruit from that lot. Hopefully one of them can replace me. Hopefully then I can set a retirement date.

The trick is to set your retirement then let the Grown Ups worry about a replacement - it should focus their attention and give them a kick into doing something.

7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

School put me off milk for years, being forced to drink tepid milk through a paper straw gave me an intense hatred of milk. It's funny, I still remember all the flak Maggie got for stealing milk from the needy children of the world yet everyone I was at school with felt the same as I did about school milk.

The rich (or lucky) kids at Bear's Primary School used to have Nesquik to mix in theirs - occasionally you might be successful in scrounging some for your own, but the usual line was "My Mum says I'm not allowed....."

14 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Might all be doing some good, the Bureau Of Statistics released last year's information about statistics like they do and we've snuck into 3rd spot in the life expectancy league, though probably due mainly to our reduced COvid death rate in 2019 and 2020 compared to other places. We took a bigger hit last year and this, so next year's results should  show a bit of a drop.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-09/qld-health-life-expectancy-australia-dodges-covid19-decline/101625656

"According to officials, China recorded 59,938 Covid-related deaths between 8 December and 12 January".

And since that figure is the official one then I wonder what the real figure is - China isn't noted for being altogether honest in such matters.

Bear here.....

Today's achievements?  Buggerall.  Tigger Bounce Busted.  Would like to have done the framework but weather had different ideas.  Plan 2 was - there wasn't a plan 2.  Now thinking what a waste of a day.  Turdycurses.

At least rain isn't predicted over Bear Towers tomorrow so I should be able to get something achieved.  Hopefully.

Now for a bit of excitement I'll go and unload the Dishwasher.

I did watch a rather good film called "The Call of the Wild" (2020, with Harrison Ford) about the adventures of a rather big doggie during the Gold Rush era.  Doggie was done (with CGI?) and extremely well, too.  Well worth a watch (I recorded it off Film 4 on 23 Dec - not sure if it's currently available but worth looking out for).

Bear gone.

Bear gone.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

@polybear

I had the DVD of that PB but gave it to youngest granddaughter last year.  Must admit I really enjoyed it too.

In the past week I've watched Top Gun Maverick, Fisherman's Friends One and All, both of which I also enjoyed andThe Railway Children Return which I thought rather disappointing.

Managed to summon up the enthusiasm to watch some rugby, managed two matches and got more recorded for later.

Now feeling rather full after pizza and fries on top of the quiche I had at lunchtime and there's still some of the latter left.

Still been off the booze but that may change later on this evening.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Todays efforts has left me cream crackered. Fortunately I found something for supper in the reduced to clear section at Tess Coes, rarebit chips. They are ready cooked chunky chips covered with grated cheese. Ten minutes in the air fryer and they were perfect. I don't think that I will be having them too often, all the salt and carbs and I could feel my arteries hardening.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Ten minutes in the air fryer and they were perfect.

May I pick the collective brain cell of ERs regarding the aforementioned air fryers.

Do they work?

Do they save money over say, an electric fan oven?

Are there any features/pitfalls I should look out for if we decide to buy one. Some of them can be quite expensive. Almost a Deltic.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

In the past week I've watched Top Gun Maverick, Fisherman's Friends One and All, both of which I also enjoyed

The first is not my thing at all.  The second was a sequel that perhaps didn't need making.  It takes a factual background and fictionalises it even more than the first movie - which is at least based on fact - making it less believable in my opinion.  It's lightweight easy viewing though.  

There are numerous fishing villages around Cornwall with singing traditions.  In another lifetime it might have been Cadgwith or Mousehole for example which became the subject of someone's attention.  Port Isaac has done very well out of both the Doc Martin series and its own Fisherman's Friends.  A few might say too well given the crowds who now pour through that tiny village for half or more of the year.  But at least there's money coming in where there wasn't before and arising from the enjoyment of singing for its own sake.   

Having spent the afternoon sharing memories of, among others, Chrisf, late of this parish I never asked what he thought of a bunch of "hairy-ar$ed fishermen" (to quote the first movie) singing for enjoyment.  That, in its purest form, truly is folk music; Chris loved his folk music very much.  

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, BoD said:

May I pick the collective brain cell of ERs regarding the aforementioned air fryers.

Do they work?

Are there any features/pitfalls I should look out for if we decide to buy one. Some of them can be quite expensive. Almost a Deltic.

We don't have one.  But we know people who do.  

The collective opinion is that (a)they do work and they do do what they say on the tin if you follow the instructions (a bit like a microwave in that sense - it becomes second nature after a while), (b)they are "yet another gadget" in the kitchen so probably no saving of money overall, ( c ) they can offer a route to eating more quick-cook "fried" food which is not altogether good for some of us, (d)you get what you pay for - Lima budget gets Lima performance; Bachmann budget gets a good 'un.  And the bigger the better according to some.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, BoD said:

Do they work?

They are basically a small portable fan oven and anything you can do with a fan oven you can do with an air fryer. The one thing that they are not good at is frying. The advantage is their economy, they use little more power than a microwave. One little tip, don't get one with a normal fryer basket, the better ones have a pan with a perforated bottom. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7