The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I believe that there is still a station on the glasgow suburban network called Singer.  I remember going past the factory on the train in the 70's.

Jamie

Yes, the Singer factory at Clydebank. You'd have been on one of the Blue Trains with the panoramic windscreen.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

If you hover the cursor over the rating box it sometimes says 'go to top' but if you click hard you will get the rating you want.

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

The up arrow to return to the top of the page, which on my PC is on the lower left, is actually not just a small arrow.  There is an invisible horizontal line from it right across the screen, clicking anywhere on that invisible line takes you to the top of the screen.

If you move your mouse slowly down the screen you can see the pointer changes to a hand where it reaches the invisible line.

You just have to make sure that where you are clicking is not in line with the arrow.

So it does.    That is just plain stupid behaviour whether by accident or design.   If I want to "Go to the Top of the Page" I should have to click on the icon for that function not anywhere on an invisible line covering the whole screen.    Just plain ridiculous!

Alan (also a MoG)

Edited by PupCam
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Remember there are other options to get to the top of the page:

• Press the Home button on your keyboard
  • Press the PgUp button on your keyboard for a more leisurely button pressy experience up the page
  • Use the scroll wheel on your mouse if you have one
  • Drag the slidebar on the right hand side of the screen to the top
    • Are click on the up indicator of the scroll bar
    • Or click just below the up indicator of the scroll bar and watch the page move down until you reach the top again.

There's much fun to be had finding your favourite alternative to the image.png.aaff997413797925a86cc4cf1b817596.png button 😀

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I really must look at RMWeb on my PC to see all these RWWeb screen issues. I usually use my iPad in portrait mode so have seen very few changes or odd behaviour. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

It was SMD that made me end my membership of MERG. I saw a demonstration at an exhibition. The demonstrator was soldering surface mounted components onto a pcb. At an appropriate moment I asked a question about the solder. I got a terse reply “Go on a course”. I rephrased my question (very politely) and got the answer “Go on a course”. 

I pulled the MERG plug too. I got fed up trying to explain how to deal with the interference produced by model railways and its effects on digital electronic circuits.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Not sure if this will show in a photo taken through the window, but the rain here is like a corny 50's Hollywood hosepipe job.

973801129_20230112_0948031.jpg.3d6feb0db2288ed6ba144f51b008589f.jpg

Literally in sheets bouncing back up off the waiting room roof etc.

In other news - it's raining, 8c and a howling gale here.  Baz tells its 35c plus in his neck of the woods....pah!

Referred to as "stoating" in Glasgow.

Also, a very attractive young lady might be referred to as "a wee stoater" 😀

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Yes, the Singer factory at Clydebank. You'd have been on one of the Blue Trains with the panoramic windscreen.

Yes the first time would have been in September 73 though I might have seen it from a Mk 1 coach in 1970 on my way back from Mallaig after a trip on the old Loch Seaforth from Stornoway mind you my main memories of that trip took place on a bench behind the funnel.

15 minutes ago, BoD said:

In portrait or landscape?

He probably starts off in portrait then slowly subsides to landscape as the bottles get emptied.

Here it's been windy and raining but a minor miracle occurred.  Several itemscposted in early December in the UK turned up including a book for me posted 9/12/22.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

The up arrow to return to the top of the page, which on my PC is on the lower left, is actually not just a small arrow.  There is an invisible horizontal line from it right across the screen, clicking anywhere on that invisible line takes you to the top of the screen.

Dave, your 'invisible line' is the top edge of a rectangular white stripe extending to the bottom of the window that contains three sections of advertising - they can even overlap when the window size changes:

image.png.a8d356658b3ab389c77ce5cbe3596642.png

Clicking in the region of the rectangle will link to advertised content when an ad is present. Ads are not always present. For me, only clicking in the area of the "Back to Top" arrow results in that action.

Strange results here are likely related to attempts to program ads/no ads functionality on top of software not designed for that purpose.

Sans advertising content it looks like this:

image.png.bc400567816d9d0e1262839a752262b0.png

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 13

24 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Marking. Trying to say something different about each one is stretching creativity. And it's still an insomnia cure. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/01/12/expected-variants-rural-china-and-the-eu-in-the-wake-of-brexit/

How about “I expected your work to be completely, inadequate, and – true to form – you failed to live down to my expectations

or what about the classic: “your work is both interesting and original; unfortunately, the interesting parts aren’t original, and the original parts aren’t interesting

Or how about: “The quality of your deductions clearly proves that ze little grey cells were definitely not agitated this time around

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Starting out on my walk I heard sirens - more than for a 'normal' callout.

By the time I was heading home (45 minutes later) I saw the flashing lights of emergency vehicles parked on the street where I was walking. My first thought of "someone's having a very bad day" quickly changed. There were an awful lot of them - I don't know how many alarm call outs it entailed, but there were at least three or four fire stations' worth of appliances, including ambulances - not something you would normally see without a very big column of smoke. Streets were closed around a cul-de-sac and equipment was everywhere.

I've no idea what it was about though they had busted out "a lot" of oxygen cylinders. The tip-off might have been a van from the natural gas utility parked in the area. There was no obvious sign of a disaster and any urgency was over. Hopefully the response was an abundance of caution.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

7 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It is fair to say I am getting 'fair fed up' (other less charitable phrases are available) of all these glitches, especially as we now pay not to have the adverts we ......still have. 

Ironically, despite the sucky page layout (of which I am no fan), everything is working 'nominally' for me, someone who is not paying a premium to avoid the ads.

The 'Back to Top' button (which I don't use) works as intended for me.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it's not Andy Y he is as frustrated as everyone else about it. Seems better now than it was earlier in the week.

Ads have gone on my Samsung tablet...

Baz

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Dave, your 'invisible line' is the top edge of a rectangular white stripe extending to the bottom of the window that contains three sections of advertising - they can even overlap when the window size changes:

image.png.a8d356658b3ab389c77ce5cbe3596642.png

Clicking in the region of the rectangle will link to advertised content when an ad is present. Ads are not always present. For me, only clicking in the area of the "Back to Top" arrow results in that action.

Strange results here are likely related to attempts to program ads/no ads functionality on top of software not designed for that purpose.

Sans advertising content it looks like this:

image.png.bc400567816d9d0e1262839a752262b0.png

I hadn't had that problem as I don't get adverts as I signed up for Gold ages ago.  But it is good for people to be aware of it.

David

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes I see now the Up Button works across the entire screen as if it were a bar, so can try to avoid it, but the Digitrains advert appears at the side partially covering posts, and in between posts jumping about as I scroll.  It is driving me nuts.

I'm off to Western Thunder to calm down.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

41 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

... the Digitrains advert appears at the side partially covering posts

Can you not close it? It has a 'click-to-close' button that works for me on a Windows/Chrome platform. (I don't remember if you might use some sort of mobile platform.)

Literally every time I scroll past the second post on a page I have to click the floating Digitrains ad to close it. It's automatic 'muscle memory' now.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I get the whizzing to the top when clicking the 'post' (OK, Submit Reply) button. 

This seems to happen when the submit reply button lines up with  the

up arrow ,just happened to me in another thread .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6