The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations @45156 and @30747 on your anniversary. My parents also got married on the same date, in 1946. A quick check reveals that it was quite warm, 8C and breezy. Mum didn't have a wedding dress (rationing) but had a very smart suit. Dad was waiting to be demobbed and was still in his army uniform.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Where is grandadbnon and what have you done with him? :)

Fear not John.  It's only a matter of time before something occurs because as everybody here knows he is an accident waiting to happen.🤕

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Another 'not done much' day today. Just re-arranging the storage of items that run on two parallel strips of metal to accommodate the most recent acquisitions over Christmas. It has taken more time  than I bargained for and then I'm likely to have more in a months time as there's another auction coming up. Time to test the use by date lottery to see whats for dinner tonight.

• Like 17

Am getting very frustrated with the current formatting change - which does not happen for Premium members apparently. 

I have to "full screen"* the browser to get anything remotely viewable.

* Something I'm not fond of, having used graphical window based operating systems since 1984 (before the Apple Macintosh). It's a pet peeve when website designers 'assume' that everyone will use a website in "full screen" mode and design their content display with that in mind.

It's pointless having static information for the thread take up 25% of screen real estate. (In this thread they are the most tragic posts.)

I've formed the impression that the intent is to have advertising in a panel on the right - present in the "test theme".

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

which does not happen for Premium members apparently. 

As you correctly surmise I am not seeing any formatting changes but something is going on as I have had to log on a few times. I don’t usually bother logging off from RMweb.

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just watched 'Death in paradise', quite enjoyed it but its getting a bit routine. The preceding program was interesting, 'Amanda and Alan's Italian Job'. Where they have purchased a property in Sicily for one Euro and are doing it up. Its certainly one to follow.  

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, pH said:

Anything in particular?

The Co-op had no LDC?

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

When I went to the Trafford Centre this morning, I had an assistant with me. Much traipsing about was undertaken and more money than usual spent, but nothing unusual was purchased, well apart from my paint. The afternoon was spent relaxing on the sofa reading a book and that about sums up all the excitement of our day. After tea, I set up a spiced fruit tea loaf, which will be left soaking overnight, Ava will then help me finish making the cake tomorrow morning. 

• Like 18

Weather here continues to be dull - not too cold (around 10°C), not too wet, but heavy overcast and dreary. While I did have a glimpse of full sunlight this morning, it is long gone. The forecast is for more of much the same.

At least the "Yuletide" Camellia is blooming (as they are supposed to do this time of year):

image.png.0b6c2f04d9d05beee3975014b813076c.png

What passes as Christmas decorations were taken down today and the wheel turns.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Am getting very frustrated with the current formatting change - which does not happen for Premium members apparently. 

I have to "full screen"* the browser to get anything remotely viewable.

* Something I'm not fond of, having used graphical window based operating systems since 1984 (before the Apple Macintosh). It's a pet peeve when website designers 'assume' that everyone will use a website in "full screen" mode and design their content display with that in mind.

It's pointless having static information for the thread take up 25% of screen real estate. (In this thread they are the most tragic posts.)

I've formed the impression that the intent is to have advertising in a panel on the right - present in the "test theme".

Agree totally, except that I am a Premium member and I've also got the problem. My main monitor is 1920x1200, I estimate firefox is using about 1400-1500x1000 with the rubric of thread activity, followed by top posters and the sad popular posts taking up more than the height of firefox's window and about 30% of its width.

If I temporarily maximise firefox, the width of that content remains the same (now perhaps only 25% of the fullscreen window) and it occupies the whole height. On the front page of the forum the space is wasted for me by a BRM advert and the first of hte status updates - I need to scroll down a looong way to get past those.

ĸen

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

As you correctly surmise I am not seeing any formatting changes but something is going on as I have had to log on a few times. I don’t usually bother logging off from RMweb.

Probably gold members are exempt from the advertising. I did have to confirm cookie settings the other day, but I too normally have some open rmweb tabs in firefox.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

1 hour ago, zarniwhoop said:

If I temporarily maximise firefox, the width of that content remains the same (now perhaps only 25% of the fullscreen window) and it occupies the whole height.

I see what you describe in your whole post. Since you are a Premium member, if you go to the very bottom of the page you should be able to set the "theme" back to "Premium". That should fix it - according to this linked post.

image.png.33f00dc6220d1269b8e4f417d5663ea2.png

Scrolling to (almost) the bottom of the page (under the 'popular posts') I see two blank panels - like these on the right, below:

image.png.2a204a3e8e0e9a8dbeafcfa4d2a6e11c.png

In the "test theme" the panel on the bottom right gets filled with advertising. It seems to be a work in progress.

The forum software is not designed to accommodate the advertising being forced into it. (Square peg + round hole comes to mind.)

EDIT

Later I saw that panel occupied by an Amazon ad that quickly disappeared.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Links
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a place that's still dark.  A good day was had yesterday .  Off to Poitiers first and mostvof the afternoon  was spent trainspotting.  Then to Niort to pick up our friend. Back home then a relaxing evening. Not a bad day at all.

This morning we will be talking to young Emily as usual, after that I have no idea what the day will bring but iy may involve moving some pictures around.  Not a lot else to report.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Still dark here too and very breezy but at least it's dry at the moment.  Heavy rain is forecast through the morning with brighter spells and blustery showers this afternoon.  Now 10°C possibly rising to 12°C.

Rugby watched last night and enjoyed, two matches available this afternoon.

One bin lorry due,  some bins have gone flying in the wind but not ours.

The Knee still hurts, maybe a gentle walk will help but that will depend on the weather. Maybe I should keep my feet up.   Other than that I have nothing planned so perhaps I could limp down to The Shed and at the very least play with the toys although I still haven't done all the track ballasting.  For some reason I keep putting it off.  At least I can sit down in there. 

Have a good one,

Hobblin' Bob of Sutton.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

6.5 hours sleep, plus, 1.5 hours sleep. A very good total for me, even though many joints are not happy at the weather changes.

Ben the alarm clock Collie tried to get me up for work, but he went back to bed after a pat on the head.

We've been on patrol, the strong winds have returned, though we did have a short shower last night during the MRC visit, it's been dry overnight since. However looking at the radar it won't be for long...

The MRC visit last night went well, much done including for the first time for a long time, placing a length of parallel bits of metal into position.

A real first, tried using some sticky back strips of simulated grass to imitate reeds along a water channel, it needs a little tweeking but overall it looks good. So I've just ordered more.... A lot more...

Plans for today,

Remove carpet,

Start making parts for under stairs cupboard replacement.

But first breakfast.

Time to move.

• Like 14