The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

I don't know if electric handbrakes are "controlled" by the ignition switch or not.  

Presumably if the battery is flat you are up the Creek one way or another ....

And presumably it would make recovery more of an issue in the event of breakdown/accident/recovery following theft if that's how they do work?

In other news.....

Newel Post sanded - didn't take long; a couple of small blobs of filler added to some indents on corners - they are about to get sanded and after that I'll be calling Time regarding further work on the staircase.  Then it was planning the boxing in of the radiator pipework and a cover for the Consumer Unit; the latter is a PITA because of the size & shape required (the leccy mounted it on a board and the whole lot is close to the front door frame) - the last box was a piece of poo (some Bozo working for the Council Contractors did the work) and it went it the bin at the start of the H/S/L refurb.

The next job is to haggle with Plusnet though....

Bear gone.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Its AGM at the MRC tonight but I'm not sure as to whether I will go or not. Arthur Itis is grumbling away after keeping quiet all week, probably because of the high pressure ridge crossing the country.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

I thought I might try and track down some BSA reference material.  The books by "Rupert Ratio" are well regarded.    

Luckily my bike is a pre-unit single and not unit construction but, if this was the hardback edition then I might still be tempted 😉 but for the softback?  

I think I'll leave it ....... 🤣

image.png.395ea499b6d9cac46a83e0462a8fd90d.png

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

I thought I might try and track down some BSA reference material.  The books by "Rupert Ratio" are well regarded.    

Luckily my bike is a pre-unit single and not unit construction but, if this was the hardback edition then I might still be tempted 😉 but for the softback?  

I had the Haynes manual for my BSA bikes. I was able to dismantle and put back together a Bantam and a C15. When we had the car ones we seemed to have a car with different bits to the ones in the Haynes photos. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Just had dinner, toad in the hole, something that I haven't had for yonks, just a few green veg to go with it to keep the carbs down. Still blowing a hooly outside but the wind is predicted to drop.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Available from the Publisher for twenty five notes.....

Bear here.....

Staircase done, finished, completed - apart from painting......

Then it was time to do battle with Plusnet - who actually rolled over and surrendered with little no argument; the existing contract (£36.56/month for 36Mb plus phone line and anytime calls - which was a pretty reasonable deal 18 months ago for a Bear not wishing to risk losing the email address) was soon to become £41.75 without a contract.  The cheapest similar deal was with Now Broadband - but 60Mb for £28.99/month.  As soon as I mentioned this Plusnet offered £27.99/month for 59Mb (so an upgrade on the existing service) plus a £75 voucher (actually a Mastercard with credit on it) thrown in for good measure; the deal is fixed for 2 years as well.  That'll do.

Still haven't got around to colour schemes yet.  Turdycurses.

In other news......

A friend has asked Bear to look at a Car on a Dealers Website that's up for sale (a 2014 C1) - looks very nice from the pictures and very low mileage for the year (under 40K - but the dealer wants good money for it as a result.  Downside (isn't there always one)?  It's Black ............and anyone that's owned a black car will know exactly where Bear is coming from on this one.....

Now as to whether or not common sense will kick in or not remains to be seen - this is a car for her daughter that'll share the same drive as her own car (an Aygo - so basically the same car); she previously decided that an ideal car for dear daughter from the same dealer wasn't suitable because it was the same colour as her own - and "they" decided they didn't want two cars the same colour (and model) on the drive.......

And finally......

An Actor in the USA (Jeremy Renner - Avengers) has managed to run himself over with his own 6.5 ton Snow Plough - fortunately he survived (though somewhat bashed up), though I'm not altogether sure how....

image.png.6b4a6e4fb22557a4faaa7ba0a2a75e5f.png

Edited by polybear
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, polybear said:

Available from the Publisher for twenty five notes.....

Bear here.....

Staircase done, finished, completed - apart from painting......

Then it was time to do battle with Plusnet - who actually rolled over and surrendered with little no argument; the existing contract (£36.56/month for 36Mb plus phone line and anytime calls - which was a pretty reasonable deal 18 months ago for a Bear not wishing to risk losing the email address) was soon to become £41.75 without a contract.  The cheapest similar deal was with Now Broadband - but 60Mb for £28.99/month.  As soon as I mentioned this Plusnet offered £27.99/month for 59Mb (so an upgrade on the existing service) plus a £75 voucher (actually a Mastercard with credit on it) thrown in for good measure; the deal is fixed for 2 years as well.  That'll do.

Still haven't got around to colour schemes yet.  Turdycurses.

In other news......

A friend has asked Bear to look at a Car on a Dealers Website that's up for sale (a 2014 C1) - looks very nice from the pictures and very low mileage for the year (under 40K - but the dealer wants good money for it as a result.  Downside (isn't there always one)?  It's Black ............and anyone that's owned a black car will know exactly where Bear is coming from on this one.....

Now as to whether or not common sense will kick in or not remains to be seen - this is a car for her daughter that'll share the same drive as her own car (an Aygo - so basically the same car); she previously decided that an ideal car for dear daughter from the same dealer wasn't suitable because it was the same colour as her own - and "they" decided they didn't want two cars the same colour (and model) on the drive.......

And finally......

An Actor in the USA (Jeremy Renner - Avengers) has managed to run himself over with his own 6.5 ton Snow Plough - fortunately he survived (though somewhat bashed up), though I'm not altogether sure how....

image.png.6b4a6e4fb22557a4faaa7ba0a2a75e5f.png

Dear Bear any chance of some piccies of the Great Hall, Landing & Stairs refurb as I'd like to see the glass inserts you've have chosen. I'm mulling over whether to switch the palin's for the Staircase Installation Project or SIP's.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Black cars - pah!  We buy on condition and price, colour doesn't really come into it within reason. Our last 2 cars by chance were both silver - not a bad colour for showing muck.. This time....both black!  Mine especially was a 3 y/o with only 8k miles, so was a really good buy, (ex-motability) but....black, and we live in the country.....oh well. 

Previously I had a metallic DS brown B-Max, really good for not showing dirt, but really poor at going up hills - gutless 1.4 16v. When I mashed my left foot I had to get an auto, the i30 has been a great buy, but.....black.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I've had five cars of my own in my life - I tend to make things last. The first four were red - not a conscious decision, just the way things worked out. There were other priorities. The fifth (now sold) was silver. It was the most disappointing car of all, despite being the most expensive (by far). But given the colours on the market and the probability of four in a row over 25 odd years being the same ... and then a different colour and I have all sorts of problems. It makes me think. 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, polybear said:

and anyone that's owned a black car will know exactly where Bear is coming fro

The “shows all the dirt’ is only a problem if it bothers one. I’m not. I do clean the pigeon and gull poo off though. That shows up nicely against the black paint. When I bought my car I did have a look at the colours available for new ones and I was quite surprised to see there were other colours, not just black, silver and white.  A neighbour has the same car as I do but hers is such a dark blue it looks black, until it is a sunny day. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Dear Bear any chance of some piccies of the Great Hall, Landing & Stairs refurb as I'd like to see the glass inserts you've have chosen. I'm mulling over whether to switch the palin's for the Staircase Installation Project or SIP's.

Bear can do that.....I may be some time though......

23 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Black cars - pah!  We buy on condition and price, colour doesn't really come into it within reason. Our last 2 cars by chance were both silver - not a bad colour for showing muck.. This time....both black!  Mine especially was a 3 y/o with only 8k miles, so was a really good buy, (ex-motability) but....black, and we live in the country.....oh well. 

Previously I had a metallic DS brown B-Max, really good for not showing dirt, but really poor at going up hills - gutless 1.4 16v. When I mashed my left foot I had to get an auto, the i30 has been a great buy, but.....black.

Bear has had a silver car (Ricky the Rover - a most excellent car) - great for still looking clean even when dirty; not so great when it needs to be colour matched in a paint shop though.....

• Like 14

Growing up in the pre-airconditioned 60's and 70's it was incredibly rare to see a black car here. At least locally made Fords Holdens or Chryslers. It was thought completely insane to have one given the temperatures they could achieve inside  in the Australian sun. You saw the occasional  imported black  Jags, Mercs and so on which were presumably air-conditioned, though 70's European air-conditioning was the equivalent of being blown on lightly by the wings of a passing fly in as much as the effect it had in summer here.

Black was  offered by the manufacturers, usually called Amethyst or something to fool people into thinking they weren't getting a black car but I remember in the early 80's when I was shopping for my first car I saw a LOT of caryards with a LOT of 60's and 70's Australian cars in and don't think I ever saw a black one in any of them.  Also red was  pretty rare too, since it tended to turn a chalky pink in the sun here. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

IIRC red is least colour-fast, errr, colour.

The dog sheet brown B-Max never looked dirty, but it wasn't the most exciting colour.  Nice car, if it had had an engine worthy of the name.  The slidey doors were handy in car parks for putting the shopping, aged persons, motorbike frames in, etc.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. My car is is a charcoal grey colour, does tend to show up the bird poo. The rain washes it off. The best car I ever had was a Nissan Prairie, it was painted bright red but didn't show the dirt. It was ultra reliable as well but was written off when a truck rear-ended me.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Also red was  pretty rare too, since it tended to turn a chalky pink in the sun here. 

That seems to be a regular occurrence in the UK too

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Also red was  pretty rare too, since it tended to turn a chalky pink in the sun here. 

We had two red Vauxhalls. They went chalky pink even in our Essex sunshine. We had a red Renault. That was fine. When we first had 1970s and early 1980s cars it wasn’t so much not showing the dirt as disguising the rust. The paintwork on Aditi’s 2012 Fiesta still looks new, despite infrequent cleaning (apart from windows and lights of course). 

• Like 16

Funnily enough it is now time to change our car - we’re going like for like because that works well on the finance - but the new one will be “Portimao Blue” whereas the last one was black. Like Tony I have not been too bothered about the dirt.

over the years I have had two red cars, one a Datsun Sunny, and the other a BMW 3 series- and neither faded.

• Like 16