The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

🤪

1 hour ago, BoD said:

The only beans that I don’t get on with particularly are human beans

I'm with you there Warren,  apart from a few good friends and of course most of the people here.🤪

I'm adopting this as my new theme song😂 :  

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

... Deciding on a paint scheme for the H/S/L is on the cards as well - I'd quite like a woodwork colour other than white (cos' it goes yellow - unless you use water based paints - Bear doesn't as it has it's own problems).  But what colour?  Nothing too "fashionable/designer/daring" etc. so staying pretty light.  Ponder mode engaged.

Bear gone.

How about a light brown? Not 'school corridor' brown but a 'wood' colour, such as https://www.woodshopdirect.co.uk/planed-all-round/european-oak-timber/?gid=109&msclkid=85c8e177ff3d1146285a82c542df1777&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WSD - Top Sellers PLAs&utm_term=4578435157688809&utm_content=WSD - Top Sellers PLAs#type:Cut+To+Size (link purely for colour rather than recommending supplier). If you can't get a natural timber grain effect from using woodstain, then perhaps an artificial grain using a darker shade of stain or paint, a comb and cloth - I've seen this technique used on vintage railway carriages and think it came out well. For any small sections or rebated edges, I think an artists' paintbrush like a 'rake' or 'stippler' is easier, though any artist contributors (such as Polly?) might have better ideas or more specific suggestions. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Alarm?   Another thing I'll have to Google.  

My alarm has been set once since I left the Great Empire nearly 4 years ago.   That was last November when I had to get into the City of London by 9:00 for a hospital appointment.

Alan

When I retired almost fifteen years ago my retirement gift from my colleagues was an alarm clock radio*. I have on a few occasions had to use the alarm function but each time I have had to look up the destructions to set the alarm. *When asked what I would like I asked for a DAB radio, which it also is. At the time there was a lot of kerfuffle about radio going digital and conventional transmissions ceasing. I'm still listening on medium wave so what happened to DAB?

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

When I retired almost fifteen years ago my retirement gift from my colleagues was an alarm clock radio*.

Not comment on your habitual lateness into the office, I take it?

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

DVD

DAB - digital audio broadcasting. I think now standard for car radios but possibly not as dominant as it was thought it would become, thanks to the rise of internet broadcasting.

As I write, I have Radio 3 on FM on here downstairs while Lexi has it on the DAB radio upstairs - I can hear the several seconds delay!

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Not comment on your habitual lateness into the office, I take it?

DAB - digital audio broadcasting. I think now standard for car radios but possibly not as dominant as it was thought it would become, thanks to the rise of internet broadcasting.

As I write, I have Radio 3 on FM on here downstairs while Lexi has it on the DAB radio upstairs - I can hear the several seconds delay!

Thanks for the correction and post amended. In fact I was always the first in the office, often before eight o'clock. That way I avoided the rush hours.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And how do you boil your toast????

Bear recalls a TV Programme where one the so-called "Stars" didn't know how to make Toast...🤣

The Programme?  (IIRC) The Kardashians.

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

I've already made the trip into Loftland this morning and Christmas is being swept away as we speak.    I suppose I'd better getter the outside lights down.

Outside Lights??  FFS Puppers, you need help.....and I don't mean holding the ladder either....

Let's see now....Bear recovers box from wardrobe, unplugs power adapter, puts little fibre optic village thingy in box, puts the whole lot back in the loft until next year.  Ten minutes should do it.

41 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

How about a light brown? Not 'school corridor' brown but a 'wood' colour, such as https://www.woodshopdirect.co.uk/planed-all-round/european-oak-timber/?gid=109&msclkid=85c8e177ff3d1146285a82c542df1777&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WSD - Top Sellers PLAs&utm_term=4578435157688809&utm_content=WSD - Top Sellers PLAs#type:Cut+To+Size (link purely for colour rather than recommending supplier). If you can't get a natural timber grain effect from using woodstain, then perhaps an artificial grain using a darker shade of stain or paint, a comb and cloth - I've seen this technique used on vintage railway carriages and think it came out well. For any small sections or rebated edges, I think an artists' paintbrush like a 'rake' or 'stippler' is easier, though any artist contributors (such as Polly?) might have better ideas or more specific suggestions. 

9 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Come on @polybear, what are you?  Man or railway enthusiast?    I would have thought a properly scumbled teak finish would be most appropriate.    Would gold seriffed lettering with drop shadows be over-cooking it on the door labels?   No, I don't think so 🤣

Bear would quite like to finish The Great H/S/L Refurb some time this Decade (and ideally early-ish this year too).  Besides, even this Bear's naughty word vocabulary is ill-equipped for such antics.

27 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

When I retired almost fifteen years ago my retirement gift from my colleagues was an alarm clock radio*.

Bear, having retired at the start of the first lockdown, totally missed out on a prezzie cos' pretty much everyone else had already bvggered off home to "work" remotely.

image.png.f2789452bada72b695c5652758115d4c.png

Fortunately about a year later very good buddy Numpty Pete sorted a framed presentation piccy showing various projects Bear has worked on; the picture mount has been signed by numerous people I've worked with - some of whom are incapable of understanding the instruction "Don't sign within 5mm of the outer edge" (the frame obscures the signature), whilst others have a signature that is a total mystery and leaves the recipient thinking "Who the F. Is That??"  Bear is very pleased to have received that - it's on the wall in the lounge.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, southern42 said:

That gave me an idea! Not only somewhere to put the mitts when not in use but added insulation around the outside of the flute case...

Now to discover some better insulation on the inside than the thin bubble wrap I use to protect the flute when travelling. Bamboo cracks or, at worse, breaks if dropped!

How about pipe insulation?

image.png.312087333a4e69fa146d594477ef10c1.png

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3