The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Sounds like everyone here on New Years Eve at the end of  2019, in the middle of a decade long drought, half the place on fire, toxic thick smoke everywhere and travel bans on so we were all locked down inside our houses and couldnt go anywhere . "At least 2020 has to get better!:" we all said...

Well I did deliver the rain, as requested.. I survived Covid in Margaret River...

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

Gotta go, do some quality control on Isle of Jura and real Val Dobbiadene 'secco.

As expected, the Isle of Jura ('Journey' - I think that might be the 'basic' variant) was fine. Tested some more to be sure.😄

The Val Dobbiadene only merited 'ok' (a lack of decent-sized bubbles, but at least it wasn't sickly sweet like most prosecco.) Fortunately, only a half bottle so none is now left. Will have to quality check some Crémant de Bourgogne today.

Hic! Hic!

• Like 16

9 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

Would have liked an early night but having dogs I’ve got Alexa on playing some ‘relaxing’ music on for the dogs. Not my type of relaxing music but it seems to be working on Hovis and Sydney.

I’ll be glad to be rid of this year and without holding my breath I hope next year is a better one for us all.

Happy New Year,

Robert

Hopefully they’ll keep like this until morning.

F2A47C29-159F-4066-AECF-FB3DA39522AB.jpeg.a7c0359b7a51d20f69695469454c9eb6.jpeg

Two questions:

1) why haven’t you trained your dogs to pogo and body slam to punk music? Tut, tut, Robert. You’ll have to do better in 2023.

2) what on earth did you play to those poor dogs? They look like they’ve been hit by a massive dose of horse tranquilliser. You haven’t been playing Mantovani or - God Forbid - Greatest Hits on the Wurlitzer to them, have you?

• Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

E67EFF77-36C2-48A0-AB40-BD841EA1BC20.jpeg.94e5eb7c0128da22d67731c8bb0051fe.jpeg

Happy New Year. Happy Hog-as-manay-as-ye-can. And always with the accent on “happy”. 

And a Happy New Year to you, too.

Glad to see you happily seeing in the New Year. But there’s something missing from this photo……what is it?……ah, yes, got it…..

WHERE’S THE TRAFFIC CONE?

• Like 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Well here we are in the New Year. So far not much different to the old one. Its raining - thank you Q, so its soggy below and 'humid' above. 

Well didn't we have fun last night. Sounded like war had been declared. Obviously all those persons - Other descriptions are available from Bear territory had decamped up here. Luckily DD is oblivious to them otherwise my description would have a bit more £%&#34£%&% ( censored).

Anyway what to do today. Argh yes DD needs a walk and I need something to eat. So fellow inmates I'm of out. Wish me luck.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

2) what on earth did you play to those poor dogs? They look like they’ve been hit by a massive dose of horse tranquilliser. You haven’t been playing Mantovani or - God Forbid - Greatest Hits on the Wurlitzer to them, have you?

No I think it was a bumper collection of Sing Something Simples greatest hits from the Adsms Singers. There is a rumour that that was what the US Army were goi g to play to Noriega, if what they plsyed hadn't worked.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good Morning All. Bledhen Nowydh Da. 

As has been the case every year since its release this was the first song played here once the London firework / drone festival was over.  Born of the Troubles but still with a message every bit as relevant today. Edge hits a few simple notes on the keyboard and the year is under way.  

It was particularly poignant during those new years when we were not supposed to “be with you again”  

I found it moving to be able to mix freely once more.  Some neighbours were out; we chatted comfortably for some time. 

A photo was taken of the first train to stop at the Hill of Strawberries. My employer has determined that several of its lines shall remain closed for three weeks during a period of “industrial action” (action short of a strike) leaving us and many other places without any train service. Except last night.  Explanations will be demanded by the Resident’s Association and our MP; no service for three weeks except between 00.47 and 03.36 this morning. Please explain indeed.  

The year wasn’t quite 47 minutes old when this happened. 

D5D53B9C-A793-4C49-BE9D-91E44B9709C0.jpeg.607bb8974995a106bec70146d2d7da30.jpeg

Avagoodun. Stay safe. 

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Happy New Year to all from Lurker Towers.

saw the new year in with a glass of Chapel Down, having watched Glass Onion earlier (amusing pastiche of Agatha Christie type murder mystery starring Daniel Craig as a detective with an execrable accent). 

just had a decent cooked breakfast and on to a second coffee- and plan to do not too much today!

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

2022 was seen out with a glass of Glen Nevis, obtained from our summer travels (not the distillery itself, but from the nearby Morrisons. That counts as it is in the shadow of the Ben more or less by the entrance to the eponymous glen!). Most agreeable.

2023 is being seen in with Eggs Benedict and the New Years Day concert from Vienna.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

As expected, the Isle of Jura ('Journey' - I think that might be the 'basic' variant) was fine. Tested some more to be sure.😄

The Val Dobbiadene only merited 'ok' (a lack of decent-sized bubbles, but at least it wasn't sickly sweet like most prosecco.) Fortunately, only a half bottle so none is now left. Will have to quality check some Crémant de Bourgogne today.

Hic! Hic!

For New Years Eve I had GP friend and Mrs GP friend over for supper (nothing special: apple and parsnip soup; game pie, duck fat roast potatoes, steamed zucchini, mascarpone and walnut dessert, some Cabernet Sauvignon). We finished with a wee dram of Nikka Miyagikyo Single Malt (a very nice, albeit non-vintage). After a cut-throat game of Trivial Pursuits, midnight and the New Year was celebrated with a glass of Mumm Cordon Rouge.

I must say I prefer a decent NV Champagne (Mumm, Veuve Clicquot, Taittinger, etc.) over a Prosecco any day - for two reasons: firstly, most Prosecco sold outside of Italy is sickly sweet (presumably driven by catering for the big German and British markets for bubbly - both of which are favouring a sweet product); and secondly, the really, really good Prosecco is rarely exported and when it is, it’s not cheap (e.g. Valdobbiadene Prosecco superiore docg, extra dry, Col de’Salici at about £115 a bottle).

Good Prosecco is not the only wine hard to get outside of Italy. The Italians produce a number of superb wines that are only ever available locally. I think the Italians are on to something - why export your best stuff to countries like Britain or Germany where the Philistines would only use it to wash down pseudo-Italian food like spag-bol or carbonara mit sahne und käse🤣

And it’s not just wine, it’s food too: the Swiss may virtuously export a lot of  their best quality cheeses (keeping the lesser grades for domestic sale), but the Italians and French keep the good stuff for themselves. Take ham for example, Prosciutto di Parma (and variations thereon) is readily exported; but culatello (described by some as “prosciutto for grown ups”)? Almost impossible to find outside of Italy and difficult to find in Italy outside of Emilia-Romagna.

And as for Guanciale or Finocchiona….

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

We didn’t exactly rush about this morning. Aditi likes to watch the New Year Concert from Vienna so we are doing so.

Pages ago there was mention of TV operating system software and apps becoming dated. On our Samsung the operating system updates itself automatically. The apps can be updated too and also additional ones can be downloaded and added. Ours updates via an internet connection. Mine is wired but it does have wireless capability. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Quins are visiting Northampton. Hope they do better than last week.

You need to get in there and sort that lineout out (and Marler).

Edited by BoD
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

26 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Good Prosecco is not the only wine hard to get outside of Italy. The Italians produce a number of superb wines that are only ever available locally. I think the Italians are on to something - why export your best stuff to countries like Britain or Germany where the Philistines would only use it to wash down pseudo-Italian food like spag-bol or carbonara mit sahne und käse🤣

And it’s not just wine, it’s food too: the Swiss may virtuously export a lot of  their best quality cheeses (keeping the lesser grades for domestic sale), but the Italians and French keep the good stuff for themselves. Take ham for example, Prosciutto di Parma (and variations thereon) is readily exported; but culatello (described by some as “prosciutto for grown ups”)? Almost impossible to find outside of Italy and difficult to find in Italy outside of Emilia-Romagna.

And as for Guanciale or Finocchiona….

Same thing here with Yorkshire puddings.

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, BoD said:

You need to get in there and sort that lineout out (and Marler).

He can sometimes be quite amusing but at other times just doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.  Latest ban doesn't help Quins and might scupper his England chances as well.

Plans for today have changed.  Whilst chatting over a very nice breakfast the Boss thought that it might be a good idea to invite friends next door and over the road in for a lunchtime glass or two of something if they're not doing anything.  They have all accepted so I'll get my New Year drink in a bit earlier than I thought.  I can manage that!  😀  If it goes on for any length of time I'll have to record the rugby but that's not a problem.  

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1