The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Bright and sunny here, in the northwest corner of England too, why wasn’t it like this yesterday? Not a great deal planned for this morning, Sheila is off to meet a couple of her Zumba friends for coffee, so I’m staying inside just in case the door bell rings, as we both have packages due in the very near future. This afternoon is sorted though, as Charlie will be dropping in for his weekly model making session. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Something that amuses me about brass models is how Ajin managed to kind of snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in some aspects of their mechanisms. Now I don't want to be too critical of Ajin as they were quite possibly the gold standard of brass manufacturers for quite a few years and produced models for many of the famous brass importers and sellers (perhaps most famously, Overland Models in the US). Their models were beautifully detailed and their factory paint was excellent too. It was Ajin that made the LMS twins for FIA. One of the advantages of brass is you can rest comfortably knowing your models are safe from mazak rot. Errr, no. Ajin used a gear box system with gears on each axle and a longitudinal drive shaft which was superb in avoiding the block effect of most D&E models in side elevation, looked at from below it was like traction motors on each axle. Unfortunately the gear boxes used mazak cases, and you guessed it, some models have failed because of mazak rot in these gear cases. And on the cardan shaft drive they used a plastic ball joint, these are notorious for splitting after a few years so the locomotive won't pull anything. You quite often see Overland diesels on EBay and other sales outlets sold as broken, when you read the description anyone familiar with the company will soon clock it just needs the ball joints replacing which is a quick fix. I must admit I've bought a couple of models for peanuts because of it, the former owners didn't realise it was a simple repair (or perhaps they did, but lacked the confidence to do it themselves and didn't know anyone to do it for them).

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Dreyfus Towers. A landslip has closed the main road through our town until at least next week.

Ooooh.  A location I know very well but hadn't associated with Dreyfus Towers until now.  The A272 isn't ideal as a diversionary route because of its slightly sub-standard (by today's criteria) width and in places it's rather sinuous nature.  It is, however, a handy cross-country route though never a quick one.  Add to that the usual several-minutes wait at Buck Barn where the traffic lights rightly prioritise the busier A24 and you can spend half a day over a fairly modest trip from Petersfield across to Haywards Heath.  I wonder how many heavier vehicles might be tempted to use the road through Amberley and come unstuck at the low bridge there?  

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Last night youngest Herbert bought me  a Baby Guinness Shot.. no wonder I felt a bit squiffy!  Baileys and Kahlua.. but boy did it stop my cough for a while...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

SWmBO is already talking of redoing the kitchen... We haven't really started the hall way yet☹️.

We won't mention we told you so......

Ready to go back to work for a rest yet? 🤣

(Have you had any queries from work yet - "how does this work/where is/why won't......" etc.)

In other news.......

First pass at filling the woodwork; the new-ish tube of Ronseal wood filler didn't want to squeeze out, so in the end I used a titchy syringe to squirt water deep inside the tube then mixed it in the tube which seems to have worked well enough.  At least until the bluddy cap on the tube busted that is 😡 ; I've sealed the end using part of the cap plus a thin plastic sandwich bag.  I hate wood filler - it never seems to last long before it goes "off" in the tube/tub (despite being sealed); I have some (Ronseal?) stuff that's similar to Isopon Car Body Filler (smells like it too) that requires mixing - "Mix a bit the size of a golf ball plus hardener the size of a pea" says the instructions.  Ever tried that?  Bluddy stuff seems to harden about 5 minutes after you've mixed it - and before you get a chance to use much of it.  Fine for one screw hole, not so great for ten screw holes.

Yep, Rant.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11