The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Regarding the recent holiday: I have always enjoyed turkey, but that was consumed recently at Thanksgiving so Christmas dinner was beef.

This year, the 24th and 25th fell on a Saturday and Sunday. The NFL obliged and a full slate of three games were televised on each of Saturday and Sunday. Very easy for me to find *something* to watch and in any case was too busy to watch most of them. The final week 16 game will be played tonight. (Normally the NFL does not play on Saturday but the regular College football season is over.)

There are now only two weeks of the regular season left so many of the games had playoff implications.

For basketball fans, Sunday saw five NBA games back-to-back.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Spelling
  • Like 15

49 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Little different here, though not at the close of business on the Feast of Stephen. While there will be a short interregnum of holiday closeout sales, the seasonal aisles will quickly turn blood red for the feast of an obscure third-century Roman martyr now more known for an association with manufactured commercial notions of romance than his presumed stoning and beheading.

They skip that here but I know I'll be able to grab  a hot cross bun in the next couple of days if I need one.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 18

3 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

They skip that here ...

After February 14, much turns green for about a month, but during that time the Easter eggs proliferate.

Easter appears close to the 'average' time next year - April 9.  (About halfway between March 22 and April 25, the earliest and latest it can appear.) 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

After February 14, much turns green for about a month, but during that time the Easter eggs proliferate.

Easter appears close to the 'average' time next year - April 9.  (About halfway between March 22 and April 25, the earliest and latest it can appear.) 

The Republic of Ireland came into being on an Easter Monday and it's just as old as me 😀

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

Edited by BSW01
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Thanks to online shopping  and .....

We live 20+ miles from the nearest town. It's not a big town but it has most of the usual retail suspects. But if we need something even slightly obscure and we don't need it in a hurry it's online for us. We do pay an annual fee for the privilege but I'm pretty sure we are getting a much bigger part of the bargain.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The bigger shops open for the  traditional boxing day sales but yesterdays didn't bring out the expected crowds,

Back in the day we never did anything on Boxing Day - other than watch the start of the Sydney-to-Hobart yacht race and the cricket. I don't think much has changed.

• Like 17
  • Agree 2

Am seeing the artificial intelligent chatbot ChatGPT in the news a lot lately.

Many news outlets wrote stories on how it (and in particular its natural language parser) represents a potential threat to search engines like Google Search. The NY Times called it a "Code Red" for Google. Most articles note that it includes no fact checking and can often be wrong.

An op-ed today made a thoughtful observation about whether students, instead of the current scourge of plagiarizing from Wikipedia can now use AI to generate essays. The university professor authoring the op-ed demonstrated with an example:

CNN: Opinion: Is no career safe anymore? 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium

Well, the TV this evening was a lot less bad. Tribute to Robbie Coltrane on BBC4, followed by a 'grumpy old man' reminiscing about the Tutti Frutti series in which they both appeared, and then the first two episodes. Don't think I ever saw it before, but adequate for this time of year. Then I switched to channel 5 and watched most of the Stones in Hyde Park - of course, for all you larks that was definitely past your bed time. 😊

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Am seeing the artificial intelligent chatbot ChatGPT in the news a lot lately.

Many news outlets wrote stories on how it (and in particular its natural language parser) represents a potential threat to search engines like Google Search. The NY Times called it a "Code Red" for Google. Most articles note that it includes no fact checking and can often be wrong.

An op-ed today made a thoughtful observation about whether students, instead of the current scourge of plagiarizing from Wikipedia can now use AI to generate essays. The university professor authoring the op-ed demonstrated with an example:

CNN: Opinion: Is no career safe anymore? 

Funnily enough I was playing around with this a few days ago and reckon it's got a way to go. For instance I asked it to write  an  opinion piece on P4 scale in the style of Jeremy Clarkson and it didn't mention throwing poo, gentlemen's sausages or shooting people in the face even once:

Open sidebar

P4 Model Railways Review

Write an opinion piece about P4 model railways in the style of Jeremy Clarkson

As a self-proclaimed connoisseur of all things automotive, I have to admit that I was initially skeptical about the hype surrounding P4 model railways. "It's just a bunch of tiny trains running on tracks," I thought to myself. "How could it possibly be as thrilling as a high-octane race car or a muscle car with a roaring engine?"

Well, let me tell you, I was wrong. Dead wrong.

P4 model railways are a true masterpiece of engineering, and they deserve to be celebrated alongside the most impressive automobiles in the world.

First of all, the attention to detail on these miniature trains is nothing short of staggering. From the intricate paint jobs to the perfectly scaled down replicas of real-life locomotives, it's clear that a tremendous amount of care and craftsmanship goes into creating these models. And the level of realism doesn't stop there - the tracks and scenery are also designed with incredible precision, making for an immersive experience that truly transports you to another world.

But don't let the small size of these trains fool you - they pack a powerful punch when it comes to performance. The level of control and precision that can be achieved with these models is truly impressive, and watching them deftly navigate through tight turns and switchbacks is a sight to behold.

In short, P4 model railways are a true marvel of engineering and design, and they deserve to be recognized as such. So the next time you're tempted to write them off as just a kid's toy, think again. These little trains pack a big punch, and they are well worth checking out for any car enthusiast.

ChatGPT Dec 15 Version. Free Research Preview. Our goal is to make AI systems more natural and safe to interact with. Your feedback will help us improve.

Edited by monkeysarefun
Reran and got a funnier result
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

12 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Times have definitely changed.

Workers get  double time for working public holidays,  and even  more  if they fall on a weekend, which combined with lack of customers due to Christmas festivities does not make opening profitable for most businesses.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Back in the day we never did anything on Boxing Day - other than watch the start of the Sydney-to-Hobart yacht race and the cricket. I don't think much has changed.

Christmas always included a box of mangoes which we'd get sent outside to eat. Usually in 40 degrees so trying to avoid the superheated concrete  garden path as you ran to the shady bit.

In the meantime if  the cricket  was on the telly  a major wicket would invariably fall while you were busy out there.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Times have definitely changed.

Dad was a pharmacist and when he took over the chemist shop in Renfrew in the 30's (could I speak to a gentleman assistant please?)* the shop was open on Christmas day. At that time in Scotland the only holiday was New Year Day. Dad made Christmas day a holiday too.

We did not put up any Christmas decorations until Christmas Eve and they stayed up for the twelve days.

*My brothers and I knew exactly which drawer.

I remember when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's Christmas was still very much the junior event compared to New Year. The way New Year is celebrated seems very different, I remember it as a time for house parties and people would wander around paying house calls and enjoying frivolity (getting progressively more drunk), going into the city centre for organized events and parties, or going out to bars was much less popular.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

31 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I remember when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's Christmas was still very much the junior event compared to New Year. The way New Year is celebrated seems very different, I remember it as a time for house parties and people would wander around paying house calls and enjoying frivolity (getting progressively more drunk), going into the city centre for organized events and parties, or going out to bars was much less popular.

Yup! At Nerday you could invite yourself into anyone's house after "the bells". Clutching a bottle of Bell's also helped.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2