The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A good nights sleep and I only awoke just before nine, bright and starry eyed, I wonder how long it will last? I agree with @iL Dottore that the Christmas TV offerings were pretty dire. The only thing I found interesting was 'Sean the Sheep' and to my surprise I hadn't seen 'Farmageddon' before. I missed the Kings speech as I was doing something else and forgot about the time, I'll catch up on I-player later. Today is a bit better (IMHO) on BBC1 with The Repair Shop at 8PM followed by Death in Paradise, thats my evening accounted for.

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Morning All!

Sorry, got to disagree with that ID.     The perfect turkey breast is one that's still running around on a turkey (and I'm no Veggie!), the most over-hyped, over-expensive, least desirable to munch form of flesh there is irrespective of how well or badly it is cooked IMHO.    Why is turkey so expensive at Christmas; 'cos few wish to be polluted by it throughout the rest of the year I should imagine.

My thoughts exactly, thats why I never eat it, I used to have salmon as a substitute but now most salmon is farmed its going the same way as turkey. Thats why I chose venison for my Christmas dinner, an added bonus its a healthier meat than turkey or even salmon.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

@PhilJ WErm.. venison is a "farmed" animal.. 

Awaiting youngest Herbert's appearance. 

Her indoors has realised the Mariners are playing kickball at Arrogate this pm.. hopefully I can avoid this(!)

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Barry O said:

@PhilJ WErm.. venison is a "farmed" animal.. 

Not the venison I have, it is culled from wild herds in Scotland. Wild deer has to be culled anyway to maintain the health of the herd. Too many deer in the herd puts a strain on the available food resources resulting in a decline in the heath of the herd. There is more 'wild' venison available than farmed as the farmed venison mostly goes to restaurants or for export. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I was talking to a chap in Tess Coes a few months ago and the talk got round to venison. It turns out he was a marksman licenced to cull deer and he said that Muntjac produced the best venison. Its surprising how many deer there is around here, there are herds in Epping Forrest, North Weald and Bedfords Park (Havering) as well as the Muntjac's which spread into the area during the pandemic and are all over. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There is more 'wild' venison available than farmed as the farmed venison mostly goes to restaurants or for export. 

I bet it's expensive.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. The venison casserole went down very well. I've still got some roast parsnips and potatoes  to finish off. Not much on TV until eight when The Repair Shop is on followed by Death in Paradise.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, BoD said:

I bet it's expensive.

Two venison steaks are about £7 in Tess Coes. If your on your own or just the two of you it makes sense. Not so much if there's a large number coming for Christmas. A joint will set you back about £35. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I looked up what is the best way to cook venison. The consensus is long and slow best in a slow cooker which is exactly what I done. One thing I didn't do though was marinade it first. I've now found several recommended marinade recipes on the net, one containing honey and whisky looks good. I think I'll give it another try in the new year.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Two venison steaks are about £7 in Tess Coes. If your on your own or just the two of you it makes sense. Not so much if there's a large number coming for Christmas. A joint will set you back about £35. 

That’s not bad for meat that isn’t factory farmed. I’d love to come home with a joint of venison at such low prices

When you say “joint” do you mean leg, saddle or haunch?

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I thought that the Kings speech was good but certain occupants of Wextminster may not have agreed….

Quite! 🤣

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I looked up what is the best way to cook venison. The consensus is long and slow best in a slow cooker which is exactly what I done. One thing I didn't do though was marinade it first. I've now found several recommended marinade recipes on the net, one containing honey and whisky looks good. I think I'll give it another try in the new year.

Depending on the cut, game can also be quickly fried or grilled (such as wild boar chops), but generally low and slow with added fat in the form of lardons (or similar) is the name of the game with game 😮

When looking for a suitable marinade, note that they come in broadly two types: the marinade which is thrown away after use and the marinade which is used in the cooking (either in the pot or later to make a sauce).

One of the joys of slow-cooked venison is the excuse to have lots of creamy mashed potato (or, even better, pommes purée) or mounds of spätzle- quickly sautéed with mushrooms and onion, to help soak up the juices, sauces and gravies….

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening All,

Not a lot to report from here = it appears that a recorded midwife is being called at the moment.  Shifted and split two bags of logs from garage to fill up the log store this morning, and backfilled the holes where the screws to secure the loft trap was fitted.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

One of the things I love here is the magical transformation that happens at close of business on Christmas day.

Little different here, though not at the close of business on the Feast of Stephen. While there will be a short interregnum of holiday closeout sales, the seasonal aisles will quickly turn blood red for the feast of an obscure third-century Roman martyr now more known for an association with manufactured commercial notions of romance than his presumed stoning and beheading. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2