The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, polybear said:

No Pizza for Bear tomorrow after all - I've been invited over to friends for din dins so it'll be snaggers & roasts etc. instead.  Seems like a fair swap.

Was rather looking forward to seeing your  ‘Master Cheff ‘creation.

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 12
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Wearing my pastafarian hat [1], 'Happy Holidays!' to all pastafarians [2].

For anyone else, may the day be good.

Meanwhile, I've finished watching Patsy and Edina in Champagne on BBC and am now attempting do the same. 🥳

ĸen

1. Metaphorically speaking - my only colander is plastic, which is probably not 'sanctified', and in any case it's too big to fit on my bonce.

2. I think it was Wikipedia which said that 'Happy Holidays' is the officieal Pastafarian greeting for this time of year, but everyone known that what is written in wikipedia is often bar-locks.

• Like 19

49 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Must try to get to sleep as I don’t want to be falling asleep at the dinner table, would look a bit bad if the host doesn’t appear interested in the after lunch topic of conversation.

Fall asleep at the table and you may become the after lunch topic of conversation!

• Like 2
  • Funny 17

8 hours ago, polybear said:

Napolina Pizza Base

Co-op Tomato Puree

Lidl Tinned Chopped Toms.

Lidl Grated Mozzarella

Tesco Stilton Cheese

Occasionally an egg in the middle

And maybe some bits of smoked ham bunged on top (the cheap stuff in a packet).

And to finish it off, some of Bear's very own home-made Chilli Oil.

And a Miele Oven, no less.

What's not to like? 😃

“A for Effort” Bear, definitely “A for Effort”!

Lidl offer some really good quality food and drink* and their Deluxe line, although quite cheap compared with some sources of similar items, they are a good buy. Certainly an “affordable luxury”

Although you can say that Pizza is the equivalent of a kitchen’s dustbin, inasmuch as anything edible can go in it/on it, I think you get a better pizza by carefully curating the toppings. Nothing wrong with Stilton on a pizza, but its strong flavour tends to overwhelm “weaker” ingredients. Perhaps, next time, go for a three cheese pizza using Stilton, Gorgonzola and Mozzarella (and if you want to be “posh”, place some thinly sliced pear [tinned are fine] on top. Pear works very well with both Stilton and Gorgonzola).

* I have a case or two of excellent Bordeaux from Lidl in the cellar - a tip off from K-Tip, the Swiss consumer magazine which rated this particular bottle of Bordeaux from Lidl as the best one out of 15 on sale in Switzerland (with some expensive bottles scoring quite low)  

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

9 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Try finding a vacancy for Coffin repairer , still looking after 56 years .   

Did you get many second-hand coffins to resell?

You know the whole “quality oak coffin with polished brass handles and latches for sale. Only one careful (un)dead owner” sort of thing?

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

13 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

….This lot are having a ball though.  Donkurnalia.

1103651142_20221224_1614261.jpg.a3a2d201de13d2a27c1cba8d25d4efee.jpg

I was wondering where I had seen this photo before. Then it came back to me, I’d seen it in  The Ladybird Book of Pagan, Druidic, Satanic and Other Esoteric Rituals. In the chapter on Donkism, to be precise.

It’s quite an interesting and ancient belief system, although not spreading much beyond the IoM. Warrior priests of antiquity, they were well known to (and feared by) the Romans. In a recently discovered manuscript Commentarii de Bello Isle Hominis by Julius Cæsar, there is one passage that reads “formidolosus et insanus fortis ordo bellatorum, qui corpora liniebant cinerea et clamores "osculi mei asini" incutiebant metum in corda eorum omnium qui se opponebant”*

There aren’t many adherents to Donkism nowadays, although there are at least two current enclaves on the Isle of Man that continue to follow the old ways - performing their rituals in the ancient language under the guidance of a high priest or Donk.

*a fearsome and insanely brave caste of warriors who grey daubed bodies and screams of "kiss my a$$" struck fear into the hearts of all who opposed them

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

FYI:

Samuel Adams Utopia, https://www.insidehook.com/article/booze/sam-adams-utopias-2021 

Roederer Cristal Brut 1990 Millennium Cuvee https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/louis+roederer+cristal+millesime+brut+champagne+france/1990/switzerland

Macallan Valerio Adami 1926 60 Year Old https://whiskyauctioneer.com/lot/224426/macallan-1926-valerio-adami-60-year-old

Black Ivory Coffee https://blackivorycoffee.com/

It’s amazing what people will pay for a perfect drink….

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, TheQ said:

Ben the I know my sheep Collie would like to point out shepherds pie is made with she(e)pherds

Cottage pie is made from cottagesws..

Perhaps even Ben “The Masterchef Contestant” Collie as well?

He certainly knows his pies. But I do have a question for him: should Shepherd’s Pie only be made from leftover roast lamb, or is minced lamb acceptable as well?

Schotty isn’t much of a chef, but he’s definitely a master butcher: every time I’m in the kitchen cutting or jointing meat, he’s also in the kitchen closely supervising my butchery - ready to snap up and dispose of any meat that isn’t cut and prepped to his high standards…

• Like 16

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to start making a BIG pot of Black Ivory coffee and break out the “major medical centre” sized box of aspirins for when iD finally wakes up.

And shave his eyebrows off!

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

9 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

A day of sorting finances and paperwork - now done, fortunately.  Various cards were delivered to neighbours; NNND presented Bear with a box of choccies - very nice (the choccies aren't bad either 🤣) and in return I gave her a box of nice Bikkies, courtesy of the Co-op.  The Co-op had rather a large amount of food that I suspect (unless there's a late rush) may well end up wasted 😡 - they had loads of bread being sold off cheap; Bear scored a posh loaf  - well it was Warburton's and had the word "Farmhouse" in the name so that's pretty posh to this Bear....).

I also saw Buddy over the road for an hour or so - I donated the four bottles of Stella to him, which he was rather pleased with.  Tick

No Pizza for Bear tomorrow after all - I've been invited over to friends for din dins so it'll be snaggers & roasts etc. instead.  Seems like a fair swap.

Best wishes to all fellow ER'ers for a good one - may Santa be kind to you and all goes smoothly.

Bear. 

Fear not oh furry one the Co-op, like many food retailers nowadays, donate much of the unsold food to charities which then provide places like homeless shelters, churches etc so lit doesn't go to waste. Any food that doesn't get consumed is usually composted 

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1