The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

47 minutes ago, pH said:

I know for sure that you’re not allowed to hold Australian and Canadian dual citizenship, though I can’t remember which country doesn’t allow it.

An originally Australian friend of ours married a Canadian, took Canadian citizenship and gave up his Australian citizenship. The week after he’d done that, his mother was killed in a traffic accident in Australia. So there he was, having given up his right to his Australian passport, not yet with a Canadian passport, and needing a visa (which he obviously didn’t have) to get into Australia. He said the Canadian citizenship and immigration staff were superb - expedited all the processes he had to go through on the Canadian side and basically did all the processing he had to do on the Australian side for him.

27 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

About 20 years ago I was on a big anchor handler/light construction vessel based in Abu Qir outside Alexandria. One of the crew was seriously ill so the Master called the British consulate for a recommendation for a doctor/hospital to send him to (not all medical services in Egypt are equal and the agent was considered more likely to recommend one he had a, ahem.....commercial relationship with). He was basically told off and told not to waste their time. Since the ship was painted blue and owned by a well known company starting with 'M' he tried the Danish consulate. Their response was to immediately send one of their cars to collect the guy and take him to their local medical practice. 

I have heard, from acquaintances, that the British FO doesn’t have a stellar reputation for the speed, alacrity and efficiency with which they assist distressed Britons abroad.

Some unkind British expats have vouchsafed that British embassies, consulates and missions remain firmly entrenched in the age of the White £5 Note…

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I've never been a supporter of compulsory voting simply because if a society is to be free then it should be the choice of the individual. My own view is that too many people died to preserve our freedom to throwaway our opportunity to sock it to politicians by voting for someone else every few years and so always voted. However, if people fought for our freedom to vote then that freedom presumably also includes the right not to vote. There is always the option to spoil the ballot paper so you are crossed off but that kind of seems to make a mockery from all sides as it still compels people to go and do something while on the other hand I see little point in making people go and spoil a ballot paper. Although I have also always been an advocate that ballot papers should include a box for 'none of the above'. At election time politicians and media pundits always point to turnout and blame electors for being lazy or uninterested. I'm sure a lot of those not voting are indeed lazy or uninterested but a lot of them make a conscious decision that none of the choices are worth voting for and are disenfranchised by the general awfulness of the political establishment. At least a 'none of the above' option would give a voice to those who think all the choices suck. When that idea is put forward journalists tend to defend the establishment and claim it is a form of moral and intellectual cowardice and hiding from a decision, rather than they themselves facing the fact that a large part of the population is completely disengaged from politics and hates all of the options. My own way to square the circle for quite a few election cycles has been to vote for some local no hope candidate, I guess I may as well try and help someone who probably has more genuine interest in the constituency than any of the mainstream candidates get their deposit back.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I have also always been an advocate that ballot papers should include a box for 'none of the above'

A man after my own mind. 

I agree with the sentiments expressed prior to the quote also. The vote has been fought and died for but we are not - in Westernised nations - living under any form of dictatorship. We are at liberty to vote or not asxwe choose. 

Having the “None of the Above” option might improve turnout slightly in some cases; it offers the option to reject all candidates in a positive manner rather than by donkey-voting and drawing d1cks on ballot papers. 

Should that option gain the greatest number of votes, whether in the British “first past the post” straight majority system or through any form of proportional representation / transferrable voting system then a new poll shall be required with all previius candidates disqualified. 

Aussies grow up with compulsory voting. I see it as politics of the big stick and another blatant government revenue-raising stunt. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I'm thinking of the more practical outcomes of compulsory voting.

How many anti brexiters didn't bother to go  out to vote because they thought there was no chance of it getting up? How many Hillary voters didn't bother to vote because they believed Trump had no chance? Who knows -  so at least in our elections we know for certain that the genuine majority of the population willed it, however  right or wrong we think  the outcome. That's democracy.

Additionally we can not be subject to the introduction of any  sneaky undemocratic voter suppression tactics when by law we have to vote.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

.... I have also always been an advocate that ballot papers should include a box for 'none of the above'. At election time politicians and media pundits always point to turnout and blame electors for being lazy or uninterested. I'm sure a lot of those not voting are indeed lazy or uninterested but a lot of them make a conscious decision that none of the choices are worth voting for and are disenfranchised by the general awfulness of the political establishment. At least a 'none of the above' option would give a voice to those who think all the choices suck. When that idea is put forward journalists tend to defend the establishment and claim it is a form of moral and intellectual cowardice and hiding from a decision, rather than they themselves facing the fact that a large part of the population is completely disengaged from politics and hates all of the options. ....

That strikes a chord with me. I recall someone who knew the system fairly well once said if voting changed anything, we wouldn't be allowed to do it. There are many things I could (but not here) say about the British system and my utter disillusionment with it. Suffice to say I am thinking very seriously about emigrating and that's due to the political establishment's behaviour and the harm it has caused my family and I over the last 30 years. Personally, I'd like to see legislation which means if fewer than 50% of eligible voters vote for any of the candidates (rather than spoiling their papers), the election is null and void, with the position remaining vacant until the next election.  

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

42 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I thought I'd do my bit for Britain so I went to the local job centre and asked them if I could return to work. They asked what my qualifications are and how old I am. "I'm a fast jet pilot aged 75," said I. Apparently there are no openings at the present time.

Happy Christmas to all ERs.

Dave

Pity, you could have knocked our guy out of the Guinness Book of Records.

https://australianaviation.com.au/2018/08/the-worlds-oldest-fighter-pilot-hangs-up-his-flying-boots/

• Like 15