The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

40 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Just tried that here and burned the top of my head. Conclusion, don't try when it's 28C and sunny. Why don't the BBC warn people?.

Pretty sure you could get a class-action lawsuit going against Auntie Beeb.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

49 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Now, personally I do think driving with hot liquid in your lap is a dumb thing to do ...

Which, of course, was not the situation in that particular case.

Mrs. Liebeck was not driving when her coffee spilled, nor was the car she was in moving. She was the passenger in a car that was stopped in the parking lot of the McDonald’s where she bought the coffee. She had the cup between her knees while removing the lid to add cream and sugar when the cup tipped over and spilled the entire contents on her lap.

The media had a field day misrepresenting this case as a frivolous lawsuit without the sort of context you describe in your post.

One has to consider that 12 "reasonable" people, presented with evidence and any relevant explanations of the law and their responsibility in their instructions by a judge made a decision.

While counsel (for plaintiffs and defendants) likes to empanel people they perceive to be "influenceable" (they generally don't like technical people used to analyzing data professionally) I don't understand why the fundamental principle of trial by jury, dating back at least to Runnymede in 1215, gets nullified so often by the media.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

35 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

You often get ‘news’ of practitioners not be qualified whereas the truth of the story is that their qualification is not recognised ...

Locally, the saga of Mats Järlström v. City of Beaverton

Mr. Järlström contested the timing of the amber aspect on traffic lights in Beaverton after his wife got a ticket from a red light camera. (He was right.) In evidence he described himself as an "engineer". (Which he was - an electrical engineer.) He was not however a licensed "Professional Engineer". The Oregon Board of Engineering fined him for claiming to be an engineer in court and threatened him with additional fines and potentially time in jail.

Meanwhile the Institute of Transportation Engineers reviewed his arguments and determined that his claims were correct and that the formula used by the city for amber aspects was wrong.

Ultimately he successfully sued the state engineering board for violating his first amendment rights.

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

I am currently a  Chartered Engineer. Once properly retired I will stop paying for the privilege of using C Eng MIET after my name as the only good bit of that is I get Personal Indemnity insurance..  woe! Big deal! And yet... in Oz to get the equivalent letters and jobs you need to become Australian.. weird!

Today involves checking plans for our walkabout, cooking a large ish piece of Gammon for tea and.. possibly going to the pub tosee friends..

Time for my tea methinks.

Stay safe!

Baz

As also I believe for other professions - not Aussi then forget it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

12 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

As also I believe for other professions - not Aussi then forget it.

For government jobs you need Australian citizenship but most nationalities  can hold dual citizenship if you don't want to give up your natural one, plus you get a certificate that says you are Australian which is more than born-here Australians have and you also  get a free wattle.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

I am currently a  Chartered Engineer. Once properly retired I will stop paying for the privilege of using C Eng MIET after my name as the only good bit of that is I get Personal Indemnity insurance..  woe! Big deal! And yet... in Oz to get the equivalent letters and jobs you need to become Australian.. weird!

Today involves checking plans for our walkabout, cooking a large ish piece of Gammon for tea and.. possibly going to the pub tosee friends..

Time for my tea methinks.

Stay safe!

Baz

A friend of mine went to Australia to work on the Collins submarine program in the 90's. After a while it was suggested he apply for Australian citizenship so he could work on the bits reserved for Australian nationals so he did. Probably the best decision he ever made (though he annoyed me slightly by coming home a few years ago, voting in a certain political event then going back to Ozz when he didn't like the way things went after his choice won).

I am in RINA, the only thing I will say in their defence is they have some excellent publications and do excellent work as a consultative observer at IMO. Their 'Warship' magazine is probably the best magazine on the subject.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. As an early retiree the idea of returning to the daily grind, no way! As @PeterBB said it costs money to go to work. Most if not all early retirees have a pension on which they pay tax so the taxman grabs 20% of whatever you earn. Also a few of my colleagues carried on until 65 and beyond, without exception they never reached their 70th birthday. O, nearly forgot HR departments will be lining up the hoops ready for you to jump through.

• Like 7
  • Agree 11

Reading all the comments around what I would term - what's in a name, brings up some strong emotions in me as I worked in a profession- horiculture which at the best of times wasn't highly rated. I entered it when considerable 'effort' had been spent on stripping out the skill set required in order to reduce the labour costs.

This was especially evident on the amenity side which had basically been split in two. One side the 'working or contractural' side having virtually no professional qualifications at all, whilst the other retaining some but  not necessary in the field. I started as a Technical Assistant', changed to an Officer and finally became a Manger.

During that time my Profession Qualifying 'Guild'? disbanded and merged with one where 'getting your hands' dirty was seen as very no no. Whilst not wishing to stray into politics there was at the same time a big push into getting a everyone to have piece of paper. Which in theory was a good idea but it cost millions and didn't mean much if you were being paid less than what a shelf stacker. 

• Friendly/supportive 18