The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

If you are worried about money avoid the Tenshodo shop in Ginza like the plague......I have never been to a model train shop quite like it, the evergreen department is remarkable. KTM, another purveyor of high end brass, have some lovely shops too.

I am not worried about money (my travel budget for this trip is very, very  generous) but I know what you mean.

I have also visited the Tenshodo shop in the Ginza and was strong willed enough to “only” come away with an N Gauge Tokyo suburban line EMU (this was more than 15 years ago and back then the quality of Japanese N Gauge was way beyond that of anything the British manufacturers were producing at the time).

I only hope that when I visit the Tenshodo shop during my stay that they don’t have any N Gauge models of those amazing tourist trains such as the 

Train Suite Shiki-Shima,  Twilight Express Mizukaze or Cruise Train Seven Stars in Kyushu. The temptation would be too much to resist.

However, as I will be travelling part of the way from Tokyo to Osaka on the Saphir Odoriko luxury train, I will probably be ”forced” to acquire the Kato N Gauge model as a souvenir*

I might even have to buy a third suitcase…

* given that I suffer terribly from GAS (gear acquisition syndrome), it is likely that I might end up collecting N Gauge models**of all those wonderful, specially designed, Japanese EMUs

**Anyone want a cellar full of OO gauge GWR rolling stock and other modelling sundries?

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Eventually after winding my way through miles of white emulsion find gloss colours, not many of, no big tins unless white. Select two tins , £21 for 750ml.. that's heading for boat paint prices..

I have white undercoat at home so that'll reduce the use of the expensive stuff..

Bear uses The Paint Shed:

https://www.thepaintshed.com/crown-trade-gloss-all-colours

(Other flavours are available)

£16/L, or £33 for 2.5L; use code DFUK5 for 5% off.

Delivery is six quid under £50, or free above that.  (Was) Very fast delivery - though thanks to Chrimbo and RM that may well be a bit slower at present.

I used them several times for paint for The Great Kitchen & Lounge Refurbs; proper trade paint too - not DIY Shed stuff.

No Traffic Lights, either.....

40 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I wouldn’t call a bag of McCain oven chips “posh“, “adequately edible“ is perhaps a better description. 

Compared to Co-op Crinkle Cut Chips they're posh 🤣.  They're also available without resorting to the Bearmobile and suffering Supermarkets, which is most definitely a very big plus....

40 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I was enjoying things like spaghetti alla carbonara long before it became fashionable in the UK (and, no, my mother didn’t use cream in the sauce).

Wot, No Cream??? 😱

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all. I got lucky the other day and stayed dry. I missed a few posts earlier, either the site or my machine was having a little wobble and wouldn't let me view or rate a few of the most recent posts. It seems to be behaving again now. 

It's been a quiet week, something I have always been happy with but especially at the moment with not firing on all cylinders. There are some more garden birds about at the moment, so I've been watching them instead of the kites. I do find it calming to watch the blue-tits and robin on the peanuts, scoffing away. They seem to have gone elsewhere now but for a few days when it was very cold, we had a lot of seagulls in the area. There are a few squirrels about today, one of which seemed very used to human proximity, let me get very close and reacted when I stopped to have a few words. Cocked its head and looked at me at all the right times and waited until I'd finished before scampering off. 🤔 .... 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

I would definitely avoid Tam Tam or Popendetta in Akihabara then. A really good selection of wares are available for the discerning modeller .. 

Curse You, Sirrah and your temptations🤣

Will the torture never end?😢

(now on the list of places to visit - thank you 👍🏽)

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Been to the Marie Celeste.. only two other "patients" were there. Busy days(!) 

I had an appointment to see a GP yesterday, There were 22 people waiting when I got there with a steady stream of comings and goings whilst I waited for my go.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Items in the post reminded me that it is time to start thinking about car insurance, when I get a quote from the present company I will start looking, it isn't due until late January.

From the MSE (Martin Lewis) Website:

Your renewal notice from your insurer will show the new price for next year (and the price you paid last year). It's usually sent around 28 days before your current policy ends. If you do nothing, it'll usually automatically renew at that new price, so always have your renewal date in your diary to take action. 

The cheapest time to get quotes is 23 days ahead of your renewal date – cover becomes more expensive the closer you get

Our analysis of over 70 million quotes from February 2020 to February 2021 from the four biggest comparison sites – Compare The Market, Confused.com, Gocompare and MoneySupermarket – showed a policy costs an average of £1,198 a year on renewal day. But 23 days earlier the average is just £694 a year, a MASSIVE £504 difference.

In general, the closer to your renewal date you get quotes, the more of a risk you're deemed to be (we've heard that it can show insurers you're a bit disorganised). But getting quotes too early, for example, 28+ days out, can also push the average price up – likely as fewer insurers will provide quotes that early. 

2 hours ago, Kelly said:

It's unlikely I'll be able to afford to replace the scooter of my own, so I will probably have to look into weekend hiring I think for shows next year.

Kelly

A new one needed - or just** new batteries?

**Says a Bear who hasn't a clue about how much such batteries cost......

Bear here......

This afternoon's fun has included a visit to Beamland to rescue a Thermostatic Head for a radiator valve - a friend has a busted one (meaning the rad is working flat out) and fitting a new head is a 2 minute job; changing a complete valve - somewhat more than that.....

Then it was time to wield Mickey the Miele - H/S/L plus Lounge/Kitchen/Bathroom sorted.  Tick.

And that's as good as it's got.  Whoopie Doo.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

The cheapest time to get quotes is 23 days ahead of your renewal date

Don’t forget to negotiate. 

A quote of, let’s say, £317 can sometimes be “talked down” a little. Many insurers allow their call-centre or over-the-counter agents a little wriggle room. 

I find that after a couple of years loyalty a positive outcome can sometimes be obtained by calling your insurer to “discuss” the quote. They really really want to keep your business almost every time. It’s good for their business and it’s good for the agent’s stats. 

So: “Hello - I’d like to renew with you as I have cost you nothing in the past year. Your quote of £317 is attractive but I have a near-exact match of cover offered by a competitor for £296. Can you match that?” 

You don’t have any such quote, of course, and a wily call-centre agent may guess as much. But they don’t know. And they want your business. Sometimes they’ll match or even under-cut your “quote”. Sometimes they’ll drop their price a bit. Sometimes they cannot or will not budge at which point you can opt to shop around before renewing. 

Chances are you’ll get your £317 renewal for around 5% less than their first quote. 

Food for thought?  

After 45 years of incident-free motoring and driving a small urban runabout these days clocking barely 2000 miles a year I press my case for minimal cost. Before extras are considered I’m paying a little over £100 fully comp.  

Extras are sometimes cheaper as standalones too.  I have a separate Green Flag membership because it’s cheaper than adding it to the motor policy.  

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Curse You, Sirrah and your temptations🤣

Will the torture never end?😢

(now on the list of places to visit - thank you 👍🏽)

As you may well know, there are lots of those sorts of places. Even department stores have model railway sections...some pretty big. There are so many fascinating places to see and things to do there, last time we were there (2019) we spent a happy few hours in Saitama City (a few miles north of Tokyo) going around the bonsai museums and nurseries. Saitama City also has a railway museum.

If you like a bit of sport and culture, then I can really recommend the sumo wrestling. Tricky to get tickets, but well worth it (both Mrs Dreyfus and I are sumo fans) if there is a tournament on.

Oh yes, and for something really off-beam, there is the Parasite Museum in Meguro. Fascinating in a rather ghoulish way!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meguro_Parasitological_Museum

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

15 minutes ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

As you may well know, there are lots of those sorts of places. Even department stores have model railway sections...some pretty big. There are so many fascinating places to see and things to do there, last time we were there (2019) we spent a happy few hours in Saitama City (a few miles north of Tokyo) going around the bonsai museums and nurseries. Saitama City also has a railway museum.

If you like a bit of sport and culture, then I can really recommend the sumo wrestling. Tricky to get tickets, but well worth it (both Mrs Dreyfus and I are sumo fans) if there is a tournament on.

Oh yes, and for something really off-beam, there is the Parasite Museum in Meguro. Fascinating in a rather ghoulish way!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meguro_Parasitological_Museum

Saitama City is an excellent suggestion, thank you Claude. Whilst I will have pretty full schedule, I do have a few days “at liberty” during my Tokyo stays - so that’s one excursion sorted.

I too love Sumo (I regularly watch the Honbasho highlights on NHK). Unfortunately, my trip is sandwiched between the May Honbasho in Tokyo and the July Honbasho in Nagoya, so I’ll miss those. But I do have a visit to a training session at a Sumo Stable whilst I’m in Tokyo.

On other matters cultural, as someone who has dabbled (occasionally professionally) in theatre, i enjoy all kinds of plays so I hope to get to a Kabuki performance (I’m not sure about Noh theatre), but theatre schedules only are released about 3 months in advance, so I’ll sort that out later.

The parasitological museum seems entertaining, but it’d be a bit of a “busman’s holiday”

• Like 17