The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I parked the car in the street yesterday evening as it would have been impossible to get it onto the drive due to the ice. I'll have to get it onto the drive tonight but its still icy underfoot so I'll leave it until later.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

8 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

It's very common to conflate bureaucracy and inefficiency, and think bureaucratic countries are disaster areas, but it's not necessarily true. Singapore is incredibly bureaucratic, every I has to be dotted and every t crossed but government services are very effective and work well, and the government is very business friendly. That said there's a much more collaborative culture between government and industry rather than the government knows best attitude we get. I still remember a meeting between a large Greek shipowner and the British shipping minister I attended in which the shipping minister told this (very successful) shipowner he didn't understand shipping. I was rather proud that I managed to keep a straight face in that one.

Singapore's bureaucracy seems to have fallen for the crypto Ponzi scheme.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Never had one of those, but I do have an iPod touch which still works perfectly, although performance is hampered by the fact that Apple no longer “supports” the iOS for this model and fewer and fewer apps can now run on it - as any update to an app requires the latest iOS to be installed - which is not possible to install as Apple no longer “supports” this model….

This really infuriates me, all these high-tech companies bleating on about “going green”* or “saving the planet”*, yet their business models are based around rendering perfectly good technology “obsolete” as fast as possible in order to flog the new models.

If I were in a position to do so, I’d make it a legal requirement for tech companies to provide software support for the lifetime of the associated hardware (although they’d probably get around this by designing hardware to fail/stop working [or self-destruct if you will] after a year or so). 

* admirable goals, but - alas - too often used by business in a cynical way as a sales tool

The same thing applies with televisions and CDs DVDs - they were given as the best way to store information and especially photographs 'for ever' ... so what do we have now -iCloud/cloud whatever ... absolutely perfect? if you have internet reception? - no way, you are now expected to 'pay for services' and if tyou change providers etc or fail to pay you loose the lot.  They call this progress.  I may be 'stick in the mud' but all the older types should be supported.  At the time we required a replacement television the largest we could obtain that still offered DVD play was a 43".  Larger screens may offer better pictures but we can still play DVDs as and when we want without having to pay again for the use.  

Did not comment of the Blackberry thing as to me it was just a name - my mobile at the time had an aerial that damaged coat pockets!

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Good old BBC. Switched on to watch the midday news (as per program only to find that they'd reshuffled the pack to put the football on earlier.

Thats nothing - here they've decided to put it on at 2 in the morning! Who watches telly then? the idiots.

(Is there a penalty shootout yet?)

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/11/2022 at 21:39, monkeysarefun said:

Soccer world cup shock final prediction shock.

90 minutes or whatever it is  of play, then extra time etc   then it'll end in a penalty shootout like usual.

LOL at me being all Nostradamus!

4 years of build up, 40 odd games and  as always t all ends up being decided by what looks like a kids soccer practice session.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Our mutual friend, Uncle T did many of the certification trials for refuelling the Tornado from the VC10 and has quite a good collection of photos.  I think he said that the central position was difficult to use because of the airflow from the high tailplane. 

I never had any problem with the centre hose of a VC10. Since the tailplane was almost a Hunter wing, the refuelling position when using the centre hose was almost like formating line astern in the Hunter, albeit a bit lower. The only problem I can imagine with the centreline would be if you got too high and into the tailplane wash but I suspect that the engine exhaust would have been had a greater effect. Getting too high could give trouble for the wing positions on the VC10 or almost any other tanker. The moral was to do it as experienced pilots told you to. The Tornado was prone to trouble with turbulence because of the huge fin and for both formating line astern and tanking the technique was to join low then gradually rise up until the fin just started to burble. 

Dave 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 16

38 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I never had any problem with the centre hose of a VC10. Since the tailplane was almost a Hunter wing, the refuelling position when using the centre hose was almost like formating line astern in the Hunter, albeit a bit lower. The only problem I can imagine with the centreline would be if you got too high and into the tailplane wash but I suspect that the engine exhaust would have been had a greater effect. Getting too high could give trouble for the wing positions on the VC10 or almost any other tanker. The moral was to do it as experienced pilots told you to. The Tornado was prone to trouble with turbulence because of the huge fin and for both formating line astern and tanking the technique was to join low then gradually rise up until the fin just started to burble. 

Dave 

So burble is a technical term then?

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

So burble is a technical term then?

Absolutely. The technical description of the the effect of disturbed airflow felt in the cockpit went through nibble to burble then buffet.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. As if the wall to wall kick ball wasn't enough when the BBC deigned to put the news on it was all about the kick ball and nothing else. I will soon have to go out and put the car on the drive, if the ice has cleared enough otherwise it will have to be first thing in the morning. The foxes are quiet tonight but the muntjac calls are all over the place. Had a look out, there's still plenty of ice about and its slick with the rain so it looks as if I will have to wait until morning before I park the car on the drive.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Barry O said:

@BoD.. shamenon you.. nor using a spotty is a punishable offence!  :)

enjoy your session at the Hall.

I tend not to put bacon in spotties if I can help it.

Seriously though, it is getting harder and harder to get a good stottie cake these days.  Greggs effort is a poor imitation.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave 

Pre heating the fuel in the tail fin , that would make it burble😀

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 10

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

If you've ever thought the Comet and the Sud-aviation Caravelle looked similar here's why.

I should have listed the Caravelle in my earlier post. While the front-end had much in common with the Comet, the whole arrangement reminds me more of a VC10 - particularly the wing shape and engine placement. The VC10 had a higher horizontal stabilizer.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added link
  • Like 9

58 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Absolutely. The technical description of the the effect of disturbed airflow felt in the cockpit went through nibble to burble then buffet.

Dave

Love military lingo  - One US  provider of targeting software we have uses the technical phrase - "putting warheads on foreheads".

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

This really infuriates me, all these high-tech companies bleating on about “going green”* or “saving the planet”*, yet their business models are based around rendering perfectly good technology “obsolete” as fast as possible in order to flog the new models.

Separating the issue of purchasing carbon credits in lieu of actually reducing their carbon footprint, which is entirely specious (or at the very best misleading), the constant introduction of newer, smaller, faster cheaper is capitalism at work.

With multiple competitors, deliberately not introducing new products with new features to win your custom requires cartel behaviour not unlike five-year plans for Soviet tractor production.

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

So half a byte then?  Oh, that's a different nibble.  Sorry, wrong topic we did that a couple of weeks ago  🤣

Alan

• Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Never had one of those, but I do have an iPod touch which still works perfectly, although performance is hampered by the fact that Apple no longer “supports” the iOS for this model and fewer and fewer apps can now run on it - as any update to an app requires the latest iOS to be installed - which is not possible to install as Apple no longer “supports” this model….

If I were in a position to do so, I’d make it a legal requirement for tech companies to provide software support for the lifetime of the associated hardware (although they’d probably get around this by designing hardware to fail/stop working [or self-destruct if you will] after a year or so). 

* admirable goals, but - alas - too often used by business in a cynical way as a sales tool

Another very large nail hit very squarely  on its head with a large hammer.      

100% SPOT ON!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I finally made a start putting things back in the underfloor storage area, most of the 50mm sheets of polystyrene are now stored, they are close to the access door, but to one side. I’ll start moving the boxes later in the week, probably Tuesday. 

Goodnight all

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, AndyID said:

Singapore's bureaucracy seems to have fallen for the crypto Ponzi scheme.

That was a bit of a dumb move, but doesn't alter the fact that government services are effective and work well, or that it is a very business friendly country. If I look around the world there aren't many places in the world that match the overall balance of high standards in healthcare, education, public transport, safety/crime levels and general government efficiency of Singapore. Which isn't to say the government is perfect, but it does get an awful lot right. One of their most significant achievements has been to avoid the sort of ethnic strife that blights their neighbours.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

On electronic devices, my issue isn't so much with product improvement and technology moving on, it's the way so many products have a short life. Because things move on and improve doesn't mean old stuff stops being good, but now software support fades away, batteries degrade and with replacements being priced so as to make it more sensible to replace the whole product etc. I've had a couple of LED TVs which ended up as DVD/Bluray monitors because the software was no longer supported to load new apps or continue using some of the existing ones. There was nothing wrong with the picture quality and the screen bits were still working perfectly well, they weren't that old either. Well, maybe 6 or 7 years is old today, but at one time people would normally expect much more than that from a TV. Similarly I reverted to wired IEMs and headphones after having a couple of good wireless sets which had very good sound quality and noise cancellation for flying but for which battery life fell off a cliff after about two years. I'd have happily paid to replace the batteries in each but it was more sensible to just buy new.

• Like 7
  • Agree 6