The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

He lives in Norfolk. Mobiles don’t work well enough in some places to rely on them. 

Which makes the inappropriate Sunday morning call on the landline even more appropriate in illustrating how unreasonable certain business behaviours by certain bosses are.

The French have the right idea, banning any work communication over the weekend https://mymodernmet.com/french-law-bans-workplace-communication-after-work-hours/

And it seems they have the right approach https://www.businessinsider.com/are-the-french-the-most-productive-people-in-the-world-2009-8?r=US&IR=T

Sort of makes a mockery of the 24/7 availability/mandatory unpaid overtime/we own your *** approach of some companies

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, Grizz said:

Morning All

Well I’ve finally just about thawed out from yesterday’s adventure. We had to clear ice formations from a tunnel. Sadly the photos don’t do it justice and my iPhone didn’t like being in a freezer. 

071F6DF2-01D7-4E03-8686-609F8ABD51BE.jpeg.c53566b62277c0e0668892304eb971dd.jpeg9FE56DB0-42F3-4B79-9EE0-79DFC70F7391.jpeg.2a9d471791658e739a0695ca70d2ece8.jpeg

5423A09F-66D4-44E2-A5BA-EC70872811E7.jpeg.1de9ff3318e76f808328cdb140788638.jpeg

Still today I am back in the relative warmth of the top of the South Downs, continuing to build the stables….happy days.

Have a great day all.

ATB Grizz

I reckon you’d need a bit more than a one bar electric fire to warm up that model railway layout room….

• Agree 2
  • Funny 17

11 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Sort of makes a mockery of the 24/7 availability/mandatory unpaid overtime/we own your *** approach of some companies

One approach that works quite well in smaller public corporations in the US is to issue stock options to all employees. They are an option to buy a certain amount of the company's  shares at the price on the date of issue in the future. e.g. if a share was selling for ten quid today I could buy it a year later for ten quid when it was selling in the market for twenty quid. I could then sell it for a significant profit at no risk.

Effectively that makes all the employees part owners in the company. I've seen it work quite well but I'm not sure if it will be very effective at larger companies.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Water is crazy stuff. All that simultaneous freezing, melting, evaporation and sublimation going on.

Perhaps the strangest thing about water is why it expands (and becomes less dense) when it freezes. We all tend to take it for granted that ice floats in water but very few (if any?) liquids do that when they freeze. Water's mechanism is critical to aquatic life and probably much more than that. If ice was less dense than water our planet would be completely different.

• Like 6
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

4 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I still have my British Aerospace shares from when it was privatised in pre history ?1980?

share achemes have been available in the UK for a long time.. but my opportunity to buy shares in other companies didn't happen for various reasons.

Of course it does not always work-out favorably but it's a lot better to have people working for a company than viewing themselves as mere employees. I've had a lot of stock options that turned out to be worthless but not always. I was fortunate to be able to convert some into the down-payment for this in Southern California

IMGP0088.JPG.83ccfbeb49eb25a0b8ca01ec7994c8ab.JPG

We flogged it long ago (much to MrsID's great displeasure) but sometimes you have to do. Anyway, it's probably a lot better than still living in Paisley.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

When I was riding the Black Horse at Lloyds bank, there was a share savings scheme where a fixed amount was taken from salary to buy shares

That's not quite the same. (Actually I probably call it a rip-off.) An options system does not require any contribution from employees until the options are exercised and that's only going to happen if the current share price is greater than than the option grant price.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. It was colder last night than the night before but it didn't feel as cold probably because the wind had dropped. Its still showing as -3C outside so its doubtful that I'm going out today.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another bright, sunny, but cold, currently -6C start to the day here in the northwest corner of England. I will shortly be setting off for my weekly walk to the butchers for the week’s meat rations. After that, I’ll de-ice the car before WE set off for the Trafford Centre. Not much else planned for the day, but then again that could always change. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Being a hilly rock, there are any places here with poor (here in NHN Towers) or no reception. 

Apparently operation of 'smart' (sic) meters depends upon mobile signal to work.  A friend recently had one forced on him, after insisting there was no point as he had no mobile signal at all, and of course as he lives behind a big bit of rock, it didn't work.  The electricity authority here (Government owned) then wanted to charge him to install a conventional meter. Just like wot the one they took out a month prior. 

As you may imagine, the second word was 'off'.  Issue still ongoing, may get an update tomorrow at the bike club.

As mentioned earlier no reception where I was last week but inspite of informing the electricity company of that fact repeatedly they did come to try and fit one ... thankfully BiL asked them to use their mobile to contact the company ... no meter fixed but, even now they still keep sending him letters asking him to have a so-called 'smart meter'.  

Note: this replacement keyboard must be so sensitive that typos are frequent especially an 'A' that comes up after a capital rather than an 'a'.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

One approach that works quite well in smaller public corporations in the US is to issue stock options to all employees. They are an option to buy a certain amount of the company's  shares at the price on the date of issue in the future. e.g. if a share was selling for ten quid today I could buy it a year later for ten quid when it was selling in the market for twenty quid. I could then sell it for a significant profit at no risk.

Effectively that makes all the employees part owners in the company. I've seen it work quite well but I'm not sure if it will be very effective at larger companies.

I think its John Lewis who do something similar here. Although this year I beleive that no dividend was paid due to a drop in profits. Many of the big banks give shares in there 'bonuses' but they restrict when then can be sold.

• Informative/Useful 8

Greetings all from a Sidcup which has barely crawled above freezing all week, and which according to the car was minus 4 when I took Younger Lurker to school. WFH today because he has a 12.15 finish and I need to pick him up.

Share save schemes in the UK tend to be offered in conjunction with share option schemes; you enter into an agreement to save so much a month, and at the end of 3, 5 or 7 years (depending on the rules) you use your savings to buy shares at the strike price of the option scheme, or you get your money back if the options are below water. From memory, you get no interest if you take the cash. The advantage to employees in this sort of scheme is that there is no or less tax on the option gain (the difference between the share price and the strike price). The rules restrict the vale of options to something relatively paltry like £30,000 over 5 years. Details are a little hazy - I have never had one of these but we did look at offering one around 10 or 15 years ago.

We didn't go for it because it did not seem as good as the scheme we had in our private company (the EU has missed the humour in labelling our size of companies as "large privates"). We were offered a certain number of options with a strike price of nil, and when you exercised the option you paid tax on the option gain. It worked quite well when the share price was going up and you could sell your shares. But once the share price started falling no-one wanted to buy shares and you were stuck with them. Now the share price has fallen to zero and some people have lost a lot of money; although to be fair they tended to be the people who had been making the strategic decisions....

What it did do at one stage was expand the ownership beyond the chosen few and we had around 600 shareholders. Not a vast number but a significant proportion of employees in some of the main hubs.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 8