The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

About 10 years ago The Boss and I stayed in a holiday cottage in a little Norfolk village and I couldn't get a mobile phone signal.  On chatting to the landlord of the local pub he said "You need to go out on the green outside and stand on the other side of the pond and you'll be OK."  I thought he was winding me up but he assured me he wasn't so I decided to try it and it worked.  Only place there that it did! 

Where I was staying at the W/E had no internet or mobile telephone access - surprising just how frustrating that can be these days.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We had an office “Secret Santa” max £3, so I don’t think much corruption was involved. 

To clarify, I meant from outside sources, not inter-office Christmas parties!  Bottles of falling-over juice from contractors, etc.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Coombe Barton said:

In Dulverton when we camped there it was "just stand behind Harry's gravestone in the churchyard, or something like that.

Dulverton is the only place I've seen a 4x4 jam.

Decent little campsite, that!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

About 10 years ago The Boss and I stayed in a holiday cottage in a little Norfolk village and I couldn't get a mobile phone signal.  On chatting to the landlord of the local pub he said "You need to go out on the green outside and stand on the other side of the pond and you'll be OK."  I thought he was winding me up but he assured me he wasn't so I decided to try it and it worked.  Only place there that it did! 

According to maps from proivders my area has good 4G reception.  Most of us have to go outside to make calls with a mobile.  I can get a signal near the house windows but if I move I lose it, very awkward when making important calls.  If I want to access my bank account etc I have to use wifi.

Rember I live in a coastal town, not out in the country where it is worse - in Northumberland there are large areas inland with no signal at all.  At National Trust properties round here a lot of staff use walkie talkies.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

To clarify, I meant from outside sources, not inter-office Christmas parties!  Bottles of falling-over juice from contractors, etc.

I did assume you probably meant no outside sources. Most of my colleagues managed to avoid the Borough Education Department Christmas lunch. However as I was shared by two line managers I had to go. It wasn’t free, though the boss did pay for our admin staff. I do remember the first course was some sort of festive giant snail. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

We had that. You were supposed to declare them and then buy them back. I always wondered what happened to the money.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

On 14/12/2022 at 11:03, monkeysarefun said:

One of the two surviving officers had only been in the force a few months, they tried burning her out by setting light to the paddock. She thought she was dead and texted friends and relations goodbye.

Besides the fear of bullets and fire we should not forget the snakes and ants disturbed by the fire. She was on the telephone to coordinating officers having called 000 and been connected.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Besides the fear off bullets and fire we should not forget the snakes and ants disturbed by the fire. She was on the telephone to coordinating officers having called 000 and been connected.

Says a lot about Telstras  regional/outback  Queensland mobile phone  coverage.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Getting cold outside but not as cold as last night. Now some idiot is letting off fireworks. The ice out front hasn't melted one little bit today, not surprising as the sun doesn't penetrate as far as the road this time of year.

• Friendly/supportive 16

11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

... outback Queensland

That depends on where the black stump is. Weiambilla* is still east (substantially closer to the coast) of the east-west midpoint of southern Queensland (the narrower bit).

* The area is the western downs at 150° E

It's almost due north of where you live. Very rural, yes, but not like Thargomindah.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 8

19 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That depends on where the black stump is. Weiambilla* is still east (closer to the coast) of the east-west midpoint of southern Queensland (the narrower bit).

* The area is the western downs at 150° E

It's almost due north of where you live.

I edited my post and  added a "regional" tag - I initially called it "Outback" because all the overseas coverage I've seen label it as such,  even though  its more like the Scrub than the outback. I spent time in the district on oil exploration surveys - Surat , Roma, St George. Kangaroo shooters, red dust  and emus are my main memories. 

Tele-communications have obviously changed since I was there in the 80's - back then if you wanted to make a non-local  call you had to go the the telephone exchange in St George, speak to an operator through a window grill, then wait outside  for a few minutes while they connected it and then a loudspeaker would announce when your call was ready and tell you  which numbered phone in the bank of wall-mounted phones it was on....

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Still not sure who the Great Empire is but is it a UK company that starts  with B and ends in E? 

Yep, once upon a time.....

Now the GE is all mixed up with numerous EU Companies as well - especially the French 🙁.

Dunno what the various share percentages are, but the same UK company still has a very large slice of the pie.

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

If I was able to stick one on certain managers and HR I would have done so. (Well I did stick one on HR by wrangling an early retirement, only thing was they were so far up their own posteriors that they didn't notice.

No chance at all for Bear getting paid to bvgger off early retirement, sadly.  When I did apply to clear off early it was signed & approved in less than 18 hours (so quite possibly a lot quicker than that).  No summons to see the Boss, HR etc. - just approved and that was that.   I think it's the fastest that HR have ever got off their ar5es and done something.  Do you think I upset them?  Oh good......🤣

In other news.....

It seems that two of the four boys that drowned when they went thru' the ice were brothers, with a third being their Cousin.  VSBT's to that family....

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

This morning’s visit to Ikea was successful, I managed to get everything on my shopping list, even Charlie’s display cabinet. Once the car was loaded up, I went straight round to Vickie’s and dropped the cabinet off. Which gave Charlie something to do this morning, as he planned to get it assembled before he came round here this afternoon. 

It was still -3C this afternoon and even with the heater on full, it was still cold in the workshop! So, after about an hour, we decided to call it a day and came back inside instead and we all sat in the living room chatting, which cheered up Sheila as she doesn’t usually see much of him on a Thursday afternoon because were usually in the workshop and Sheila NEVER goes in the workshop. 

• Like 17