The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Weather forecast is for a significant storm heading across the country in out direction

The weird thing is that it was pretty much a non-event here when it passed through - a spot of rain. There was some snow in the Cascades. We have dry weather with freezing overnight temperatures ahead.

There was a lot of snow in the Sierras - ABC news last night had a (sadly) short, but fabulous clip of a UP snowplow on Donner Pass*.

* I think this is the source. Looks like someone put their drone to good use - lots of great angles. The plow(s) still have a Southern Pacific livery. (SPMW 4034 - and 4032.) Looks like four plows in total.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's lower channel doesn't exist - it's a simple butt joint.  There's an upper channel but no blocks either side; the channel is only something like an inch wide as well - modern timber spindles appear to be something like 38mm wide.  Why is nothing straightforward in Bear Towers?

That sounds serious, is it painful? Perhaps @iL Dottore can advise.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That sounds serious, is it painful?

I thought it sounded uncomfortable too but I am not really too sure about ursine anatomy. I am sure Winnie the Pooh would have asked Piglet’s advice after bumping down the stairs. Probably some oinkment.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. According to the thingy at the bottom of the page its now -1C outside. Its certainly very icy as I can hear the frozen slush crunching under the tyres of passing cars. I followed the auction I mentioned yesterday on the net this lunchtime. No real surprises and the items I have placed commission bids on will not be auctioned until tomorrow. Time now for a hot drink.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, polybear said:

I see the Cryptocurrency ads have somehow snuck back in again

Different ones and this time you can't close them, though you can scroll away. If they appear as a floating player, at least they have a close button.

EDIT:

On the Wheeltappers contents page I had political/activist advertising today regarding a natural gas pipeline in the eastern US.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The weird thing is that it was pretty much a non-event here when it passed through - a spot of rain. There was some snow in the Cascades. We have dry weather with freezing overnight temperatures ahead.

There was a lot of snow in the Sierras - ABC news last night had a (sadly) short, but fabulous clip of a UP snowplow on Donner Pass*.

* I think this is the source. Looks like someone put their drone to good use - lots of great angles. The plow(s) still have a Southern Pacific livery. (SPMW 4034 - and 4032.) Looks like four plows in total.

Yes, UP has kept ownership of those SPMW reporting marks. The fabled rotaries are also in that series.  Thevlicos are a sub fleetbof, IIRC GP38-2 'S that are based at Roseville and in the wi ter somecare at Truckee.  They are fitted with Ship style clear visipn devices on the windscreens and have cab mounted icicle deflectors that can be raised or lowered. Those spreaders look awfully narrow in real life but must be well ballasted.  I have some photoscof them in Roseville.  The Rotaries only get turnedcoutbif they get 'wet' snow onnthe hill.  

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 14

59 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

They are fitted with Ship style clear vision devices on the windscreens

Which are clearly visible in some scenes in the video. Of many I liked, I noted the high angle shots where you could see all the ditch lights from each of the four vehicles (plow+loco+loco+plow) on the snow. (Very 'festive' - a bit like holiday lights.)

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I mentioned this morning that today was to be a day of unspecified pottering, well, that’s exactly what happened. I started by assembling the 2 drawer storage unit I collected on Saturday, which I’d ordered and paid for when I went to the Wigan show in October. I  then checked my loco list and made some amendments. After dinner I assembled the 1/2 scale signal arm I bought on Saturday, which will eventually adorn the wall above the layout. It went together very well and is currently sat, with a dozen small clamps on one of my portable work bench’s in the cellar. Once set, all that’ll need doing is a quick rub down of all the edges, then it’ll be ready for painting. But as the manufacturer’s recommend spraying it, I’ll wait until the weather warms up a wee bit. 

Happy birthday John (two sugars). 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2022 at 08:41, Gwiwer said:

… any complaints about late running also went on your record. 

On intensive local services, our drivers used to say “A (disciplinary) ticket for running early and a medal for running late.” Being disciplined for genuinely running late was unheard of. Hanging back deliberately to pick up a ‘leader’ on another route in order to dodge work - that was a different case.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

It's wet outside but a tad warmer here. I suspect that the white stuff will have gone.  

Belated birthday greetings to @Two_sugars.  

The major excitement tiday will be wood chopping in the woodshed of all places.  If it does get as warm as forecast I may even spend some time in the shed.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

That sounds serious, is it painful? Perhaps @iL Dottore can advise.

@iL Dottore doesn’t mind the occasional foray into veterinary medicine (he medicates and takes care of the Wolfpack) but draws the line at bears. For one thing, they need to be heavily sedated before you can examine and treat them. There’s probably not enough LDC in the world to fully sedate a grumpy, adult @polybear

7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I thought it sounded uncomfortable too but I am not really too sure about ursine anatomy…

All mammalian anatomy follows a basic plan (and in some animals, very basic - tee hee). So @polybear @Happy Hippo and @Tony_S all have the same number of orifices (the mind boggles) but it’s the biology that’s different between species. For example: a nice tea of liver and onions made with human liver might attract the attention of @jamie92208 and his colleagues but it wouldn’t kill you, making that tea with polar bear liver would (the average Polar Bear liver contains enough Vitamin A [toxic in high doses] to kill 52 humans)

If The Bear is truly bedevilled by his euphemistically referred to “lower channel” @iL Dottore enthusiastically suggests the 1970s gastroenterologist’s standby* might be A solution:  the Triple H soap and water enema (High, Hot and Hell of a lot) 🤣 🤣 🤣

Finally, a belated Happy Birthday to @Two_sugars

* now obsolete (and something that required a prescription and couldn’t be self-administered) NOT to be done off the top of one’s bat…

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 16

24 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I see they are getting all excited about fusion again, they are calling it a green solution... Err no, if it works it will be greener than conventional nuclear, which is greener than gas, which is greener than coal. But if you produce energy it produces heat, if you produce heat, you are adding to global warming.

Depending on how efficiently you use it there will be some waste heat but it will be completely insignificant compared to the 173,000 Terawatts the Earth receives continuously from the Sun. The problem we have is that the stuff we have been pumping into Earth's atmosphere acts as a thermal insulator and slows the rate that the solar heat can be re-radiated into space. Earth's overall temperature has to increase to maintain thermal equilibrium.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all and belated birthday greetings to John @Two_sugars

Not a great deal happening here. A light smattering of snow appeared overnight.  Today’s  main event will be the weekly shop padded out with a few non-perishables for Christmas. We prefer to stay away from the food shops if possible during Christmas week itself - they tend to be ridiculously busy.   Perhaps this year will be more subdued than usual. I somewhat doubt it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12