The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

The incidence of inverted Manx cars is mainly due to our roads outside towns and villages being mostly bounded by raised sod banks.  They lose control, spin or veer into the bank, run up it and over they go.

Looking beyond the two bikes, this is a typical Manx road sod bank.

P1150124.JPG.8f890e6afe35325d5efef237f98474b0.JPG

Thank you. I can now see what it is about Manx roads that made me wonder about so many inverted vehicles. Do you have to avoid free ranging sheep there as well?

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Momentum usually. If a vehicle is off balance for whatever reason it just needs to hit an obstruction such as a kerb to male it roll over. About twenty years ago my car was hit by a truck. The initial impact point was on the rear wing where there was a small dent, the paint wasn't even broken. But th

I realise that but wondered what was peculiar to the Isle of Man that caused it to be a frequent occurrence. Neil has now posted the explanation  

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

The incidence of inverted Manx cars is mainly due to our roads outside towns and villages being mostly bounded by raised sod banks.  They lose control, spin or veer into the bank, run up it and over they go.

Looking beyond the two bikes, this is a typical Manx road sod bank.

P1150124.JPG.8f890e6afe35325d5efef237f98474b0.JPG

If it’s not a daft question why do Manx drivers lose control?  Or is it overseas drivers on Manx roads? 

I must have driven tens of thousands of miles along sod-bank lined roads, although none of them on Fraggle Rock, without incident. 

I have also managed to avoid any ovine contre-temps. That being no mean feat up on the Cornish moors at night, trying to keep to a challenging timetable in the fog. Was that a swirl of fog ahead or a sheep in the road?  Can’t turn the main beam on in fog to check. 

Our timetables must have been devised by a Ferrari driver. There was no way you could drive three miles in three minutes on urban or twisting country roads. And that’s before you were expected to stop for passengers, red lights and other things.  You did your best but being 100% legal meant you just got later and later. Did they pay overtime for a late finish?  Heck no. It was your fault you ran late and any complaints about late running also went on your record. 

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All,

Such a sad news of late, what with kids going through the ice, and flats exploding in Jersey.  Why does it always seem to be at Christmas, or is it just that these things are more poignant and significant at the festive season.

We have no snow to speak of, compared to the "massive and disrupting" 4-6 inches of snow further South - I wonder what our overseas ERs (like Ian A) think, where 4-6" does not really even count as significant.  There was a lorry driver on the radio this morning, who crossed from Ireland to the UK - suffered the chaos here, and crossed to Europe, where he found the roads being ploughed and gritted 24 hours a day - thought provoking indeed.

I was due to be away today to Cirencester and back via an old Sussex Spaniel friend in Gloucester, but we took a snow check - so I said I COULD go to Oxfam this morning, and rang them on Saturday accordingly - only to wake this morning to a splitting headache and a very runny nose, and a cough - so another call to Oxfam to recancel.  Instead, 30747 indicated that the hoovering needed to be done - which is a lot more pleasant than it used to be, due to the addition of a Vax Blade 4 Pet to the household appliances - and it is very good - very strong suction, and very light - and of course, no trailing leads. 

And here's something to cheer us up a little.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Manxwomen, one infers, are impeccable drivers.

That is sexist remark. Manxwomen are just as capable of screwing up a car crash as a Manxman it's just that they are usually the ones giving the directions. Whether or not that may have been the contributory factor  to the crash i couldn't possibly comment.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Manx R plate driving skills.

Not so different to Australian (well VIctorian from personal experience, but I hear the same from allover) driving skills.

In a nation where mandatory lessons are not required it is traditional to learn to drive at a young age being taught by a parent or friend around a paddock.  "Learn to drive" being a rather loose term which might better be described as "Being shown what the controls do".   Unless you learn and test within the City of Melbourne you don't get to drive with trams - the same being true of British cities of course - but you meet them when you drive into those areas.  If you learn in the City you don't get "bush" experience of avoiding kangas and other wildlife and how to cope if caught in a bush-fire or flood emergency.  Those can spring upon you in moments with little or no warning, surprising though it might sound.  

There is strong advice to complete a minimum number of logged hours with a professional instructor but it is not a requirement.  Some people present themselves for testing having had no formal lessons at all.  Provisional and Learner drivers are permitted on freeways there meaning you can have zero experience and road skill but legally drive at up to 110kmh (subject to posted limit) or around 76mph.  

Odd rules which no-one teaches you in the backyard and not everyone teaches correctly on the road are:-

1. The hook turn: at designated intersections along tram routes you must not perform a direct right turn across the tracks but are required to pull in on the left, join the queue waiting to cross the road you are leaving and wait for their green light.  You then go first before that queue.  Signposted as "Turn right from left lane only".  

2. Stop behind trams: when a tram stops you MUST stop behind it; not pull alongside it and definitely not attempt to overtake it.  Most tram tracks are along the centre of roads meaning if you overtook you would pull into the oncoming tram lane with no clear vision ahead.  If you are already alongside the tram (for example waiting at traffic lights and the tram pulls up beside you) then you must wait for it t go first unless "waved through" by the driver who might be waiting for right-time.  That never happens.    

3.  Pass emergency vehicles attending incidents or any other accident at no more than 40kmh and be prepared to stop.

4.  Never ever turn off when you see a booze bus ahead (breath testing unit); the police will chase you and test you anyway.  Random stop and test applies unlike in the UK.  The limit is lower than the UK version at 0.05 (UK 0.08) 

And - as it always is - driving is a privilege not a right.  Even if you live 50 miles from the shop and have been driving the ute since you were 9 years old.  It happens.  

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

A very early visit to the Co-op - I wasn't altogether hopeful that they'd have milk (it being early - and yesterday being Sunday so I wasn't sure if they'd get a delivery) but all was well.  I did note it's now £1-85 for a 4 pinter now - it was only a couple of years or so ago when they sold 2 of them for two quid.  The "Five items for a Fiver" in the freezer cabinet is now five for six quid - still a very good deal, despite one of the items (Chicken Nuggets) being donated to Buddy over the road.

Washing done - tick; I also decided that it would be rather a good idea to clear the sloping driveway from the road into Bear Towers - I've learnt from experience that getting the Bearmobile up the slope when covered in snow can be a pig - especially as the entrance to the drive thru' the gates is at an angle too - "taking a run at it" isn't an option if you want to be sure of avoiding the steel gate posts.  The Met website is also claiming that it'll be -5C here overnight - so the roads tomorrow will be a real skating rink.

By the time I'd cleared the driveway - and then a neighbour's front path cos' she asked to borrow my yard broom  so she could sweep it, but I knew she wasn't really up to the job - and then NNND's drive as it's right next to my drive and there's no way she would've managed it I was totally fu.....sorry, shattered.  I'm starting to think that such activities are not such a good idea after all.

In other news.....

The Co-op run did result in a certain goodie though - not something I'd normally succumb to, but today I just thought "Buggeritt, why not.....":

1101396045_IMG_33111.JPG.21ce10c7c8a53892c3ae084787100740.JPG

Unfortunately the use-by is today (I can string it out a bit) but it does mean I'll have to dispose of it in obscenely large wedges 😁  It was either that or landfill.....

Right, time to play Templot....

Bear gone.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I went into the garage after lunch to put the non recyclables wheelie bin onto the drive so I can put it on the pavement this evening.

I managed to stay upright by holding on to the bin.  I have salted the drive which hasn't made much difference, I am definitely not going anywhere while it stays cold.

David

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I am definitely not going anywhere while it stays cold.

David

Probably a wise decision.

Having done a fair bit of serious walking/climbing on mountains in winter conditions,  I used to be reasonably confident on snow and ice whilst still appreciating how dangerous it could be.  Ironically,  a couple of years ago, I managed to slip one morning when going for my morning paper and fell in a way that I really winded myself and cracked a rib.  I was in some pain for a week or two but more seriously it knocked my confidence on snow and ice for six.  I am still wary and far less comfortable when it is icy underfoot.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Christmas tree has been put in its stand and decorated. That's 3 hours of my life I won't get back.

Lummy @DaveF  long sleeve shirts.. either they are getting soft or it is really cold!

Zooooommmmming to a committee meeting tonight. A lot warmer than going to the club and freezing!

TTFN

Baz

• Like 16