The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Now if this news doesn't really, really p1ss you off then n'owt will......

Cristiano Ronaldo will be paid €200m-per-season at Al-Nassr (Saudi Arabia), reports @marca. Here's the breakdown…

€200,000,000/year

€16,000,000/month

€3,800,000/week

€760,000/day

€96,000/hour

€1,600/minute

€26/second

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

If I knew her lad's size I'd do something for him too.  Just how big is a 12 year-old boy?  

How long is a piece of string?! Younger Lurker started a growth spurt before he was 12 and it hasn't really ceased and now he is nearly 14. He has gone past Mrs Lurker and Elder Lurker but has not caught me up!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

When watching nature programmes on  tv you often see polar bears with red around their mouths. Until recently i thought it was blood from their prey but now i know its baked bean juice.

🤣🤣🤣

That gets Bear's Golden LDC Award of the Week......👏

16 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Spot on, Sir.

In other news.  News reached me this afternoon from a good friend back home in Cornwall.  It's just her and the boy and has been for some years now.  So yesterday she found water pouring through the ceiling and discovered the bath upstairs was leaking from around an insecure drain.  Having spoken with her housing association today they promptly arrived and ..... disconnected the heating!!!  Because it all runs off one boiler.  So there they are, sitting in a cold (and draughty) house, no heating, no hot water and the next date anyone can apparently come to fix the problem is ...... 

...... 10th January 😯 😥

An immediate Snottogram to the H.A - copied to the local M.P. and newspaper - should focus their attention somewhat.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Mustn't have been at the mountain redoubt. It needs redecorating now....

bang.JPG.c5b7f5159db94de5d4e36855e6a37829.JPG

Thank God for that. CC was trying to get Mrs CC to agree to a complete re-furb. Now she has no option*

Do you know how depressing a 320’000 square metres of magnolia is?

* but now she’s eyeing up the wallpaper Bojo installed at No. 10 and is muttering things like “what sort of discount do you get on 20’000 rolls”

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 1
  • Funny 15

Re museum enhancements, a few years ago the Oz War Memorial in Canberra got Peter Jackson  to devise an  exhibit for the   Flying Hall (where Lancaster G for George is if you've been there).

Given his film skills and WW1 enthusiasm especially aircraft ( eg he created the Wingnut Wings WW1 aircraft model kit range)  it was pretty bloody good gotta say, especially the light and sound scapes and wrap around cinema screen playing restored archive footage ( a 'test run' for that later WW1 film he did a couple of years ago..). One rare museum enhancement that DID actually add to the static WW1 aircraft sitting there. Its  a pity its no longer running.

Not my video, and they got the name wrong - its Over The Front..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Also due to the cost of installation and maintenance and the equipment needed (or not needed) to do so.

Much, much cheaper in the long run - they don't need to send emergency crews out in the rain and wind and snow every time the line from the transformer falls down or the transformer on the pole gets struck by lightning, or the pole gets hit by a car. The increased reliability of a buried supply is vastly higher.

The installation of a buried supply is more expensive than a pole-mount transformer.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Sausage and chips for dinner, whatever I could find at the back of the fridge. A bit of bad news this evening, our MRC has been broken into. No news of anything taken or damaged as the clubhouse has been sealed pending the police investigation. 

4 hours ago, The Lurker said:

How long is a piece of string?! Younger Lurker started a growth spurt before he was 12 and it hasn't really ceased and now he is nearly 14. He has gone past Mrs Lurker and Elder Lurker but has not caught me up!

My friends lad when he was about eight or nine was rather small for his age, he looked about six or seven. Now he is fourteen he's almost as tall as his dad. Its only in the last couple of years  that he's put a spurt on.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Dr. SWMBO packed a few items for Australia tonight and asked me to mail the box tomorrow.  I took the precaution of pricing it first.  £87.  It's only 2.4kgs and not very big but that's what Parcel Farce want.  DHL?  £179.  DPD?  Don't go to Australia.  I found an app called Parcel King offering a £43 rate which turned out to be Evri (nee Yodel) at this end.  

Bear uses the following website - which seems to work rather well:

https://www.parcel2go.com/

I got notification that the parcel I sent via Evri on Friday was delivered today, which I thought was pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A bit of bad news this evening, our MRC has been broken into. No news of anything taken or damaged as the clubhouse has been sealed pending the police investigation. 

'Sterds.  It seems that once a house has been burgled there's a 1 in 4 chance it'll be hit again; as to whether or not this will apply in the MRC's case is anyone's guess.  Time to invest in some particularly nasty scrote traps methinks.

• Agree 11

34 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

He's a bit more than that now - probably 7' 4". Neither parent is uncommonly tall but father is Dutch and there seems to be a "tall" gene amongst the Dutch.  

Future Collingwood ruckman?   

Tiny 6 ft 11 (and rare US import)  Mason Cox better watch his back.

image.png.04b03bd566a0e3e302c7324d5155aa48.png

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Dr. SWMBO packed a few items for Australia tonight and asked me to mail the box tomorrow.  I took the precaution of pricing it first.  £87.  It's only 2.4kgs and not very big but that's what Parcel Farce want.  DHL?  £179.  DPD?  Don't go to Australia.  I found an app called Parcel King offering a £43 rate which turned out to be Evri (nee Yodel) at this end.  Still too much.  She's re-thinking Christmas Downunder.  

If the parcel can be split you may find it works out cheaper to send two parcels that are under 2kg.  Prices seem to shoot up above the 2kg mark.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Re museum enhancements, a few years ago the Oz War Memorial in Canberra got Peter Jackson  to devise an  exhibit for the   Flying Hall (where Lancaster G for George is if you've been there).

Given his film skills and WW1 enthusiasm especially aircraft ( eg he created the Wingnut Wings WW1 aircraft model kit range)  it was pretty bloody good gotta say, especially the light and sound scapes and wrap around cinema screen playing restored archive footage ( a 'test run' for that later WW1 film he did a couple of years ago..). One rare museum enhancement that DID actually add to the static WW1 aircraft sitting there. Its  a pity its no longer running.

Not my video, and they got the name wrong - its Over The Front..

His aircraft museum in New Zealand is excellent as is the Gallipoli Exhibit at Te Papa museum in Wellington..

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Thorness said:

If the parcel can be split you may find it works out cheaper to send two parcels that are under 2kg.  Prices seem to shoot up above the 2kg mark.

Splitting it generated a price of £66 each. 

• Friendly/supportive 17