The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Here we are again. Dr. SWMBO was duly delivered to her Something Really Interesting event. Selling books, she tells me. And must be collected therefrom at High Noon. 

I managed a couple of hours better sleep and can probably get through until tonight now. 

Festive functions are also required as items must be mailed to Australia no doubt costing more to send than they did to buy. That’s been the norm for a while now. 

In other news may I wish both a Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas to the text message. 30 years young today. Both a huge step-change in how we communicate and at times an effing nuisance.  Don’t party too hard! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63825894

1B77A05C-425B-4CC1-AFEC-4C7C19DB07CF.png.4a7754e691acfe78860ba4dd93912ec0.png

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

This morning is quite bright and sunny with light passing showers coming in off the sea. The thermometer says 7, it feels more like 1 in the wind.  I've kept myself busy until now but at last here is yesterday's news - like all old news perhaps not too interesting!

Yesterday started with a good walk on the beach from the far end of the promenade along the sand right to the harbour entrance and back.  The tide was coming in so I had to make sure it didn't reach a part of the sea wall north of the promenade before I got back past it - I made it with a few minutes to spare.  The sea was quite calm, there weree quite a few people about walking dogs along with others who, like me, were just out for a brisk morning walk.  The beach car park required some care when leaving it - the exit roadway was closed so I had to drive along the in route, fine except it is too narrow for two cars to pass.  Fortunately when I met cars there was a spare parking space I could squeeze into to let them past.  Of course there were no road works signs about.

Back at home I had the usual coffee, then did odds and ends until lunchtime.  I hadn't slept well again so I had a nap afterwards followed by reading a magazine which had come in the post and marking up what I want to watch on TV next week in the Radio Times.

In the evening I found "Das Adventsfest der 100,000 Lichtern" on ARD (a German TV channel) which kept me occupied from 7.15 until about 10.30.  There were a lot of good singers, perhaps surprisingly a lot of the songs were in English.  A number of the singers have announced their retirement - they are all about the same age as me - it made me realise that I've been watching German TV for over 30 years.

David

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

My flight from Istanbul to London, B777-300. Istanbul airport is enormous and very modern, clean and customer friendly. Turkish Airlines is now a huge airline and very highly respected. The airport and airline reflect the rise of Turkiye to an industrial powerhouse over the last few decades. I would rather fly with Singapore Airlines but part of the deal to go business class is I am expected to be responsible when booking flights, and SQ was way way more expensive for this trip. Turkish are a good enough airline.

IMG_20221203_124627.jpg

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All,

Not a lot to report, but all posts read and it is quite chilly here, with temperatures expected to dip below freezing next week. 

We are apparently watching a Christmas movie via the recorded films on the box - hence I am here.

This popped into my inbox this morning.  Feel free to skip, or listen if the mood takes you - it's pretty good.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.......

Walls marked, PVA applied, stuff cleaned up after yesterday's P.S. activities, din dins scoffed, parcel packed and collection by R.M. arranged for Monday.

I took a parcel in for nearly new neighbours next door (NNNND) and then ended up with a bit of eyelid inspection - only to be woken after an hour or so by NNNND coming to collect the parcel.....

"We put a note our door asking callers (= Mr Courier) not to ring the doorbell" - so as not to wake their Rug Rat.

So NNNND comes round and rings Bear's door and wakes me instead.....Turdycurses.

I never did get any wall filling done after all.  Oh well - a job for tomorrow.

In other news......

The Royal Mail website came up with this message:

Royal Mail services will be delayed due to industrial action in November and December. On strike days, Royal Mail will prioritise 'Tracked 24' and 'Special Delivery' services and will not deliver letters. There may be delays on non strike-days as they process back logs.

Save money and avoid this disruption by accessing eBay exclusive rates with EVRi and DPD through eBay Delivery by Packlink.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 45156 said:

Afternoon All,

We are apparently watching a Christmas movie via the recorded films on the box - hence I am here.

Regards to All

Stewart

We are watching vampire films...

I'm off to bed with a large whisky... And a long book..

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was greeted by some sunshine this morning. It was less cold at 3°C than it has been, though there was a breeze which made it quite brisk.  Now (headed for noon) a little north of 4°C.  I'm not sure what the day has in store. Inevitably some televised sports.

I enjoyed watching a win by an underdog in a College football game last night. The favourite was over-rated (in my opinion) had should have lost games earlier in the season where they were lucky to 'find a way to win'*. 

* As commentators are so fond of saying.

I'm glad I didn't bother to get up early for a World Cup match.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Thanks to a pointer on the WW Board, fellow ER'ers may find this video of interest:

There was an old bushie at the 2013 Working With Wood show in Sydney showing a few bush fixing skills, super glue and bicarb  was one of them - works ok, especially as a filler though the fumes can knock you silly.

Whats a ww board?

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

the fumes can knock you silly.

A long time ago I was assembling some valve gear on a loco. Most of it was riveted together but I had attached a couple of bits with super glue. I then soldered the assembly to the loco chassis. That was when I found out that superglue decomposes with heat to something like CS gas. Haven’t done it since. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

superglue decomposes with heat to something like CS gas

Nasty.

I remember as a teenager melting waste plastic sprue from airplane kits into grotesque shapes with a magnifying glass and sunlight. (Always in an open fairly ventilated space.)  I knew it was a dumb thing to do. People may complain about teenagers on their telephones but at least they are not sitting in their bedrooms creating carcinogenic gases.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Thanks to @pH of this parish I have located and purchased an Usborne's cardboard cut-out model castle. The reason I wanted one was to make up the complete set of four, castle/village/town and cathedral. These card kits come in book form (A4) and have to be cut out, they are aimed at children from nine upwards. The castles are at the cover price, £7-£8 but the village was anything from £50-£90!

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, polybear said:

The Preliminary Crash Report has been released:

https://www.flyingmag.com/ntsb-releases-preliminary-report-on-fatal-texas-midair-collision/

Bear suspects that a certain Sqn. Ldr. @Dave Hunt will despair at the contents........

Without prejudging, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a case of poor lookout although it also seems that there may well have been contributory causes in the control decisions.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Whats a ww board?

"Wright Writes" (as in Tony Wright) - in the Modelling Musings section

39 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

People may complain about teenagers on their telephones but at least they are not sitting in their bedrooms creating carcinogenic gases.

Though some of them are down the local park sniffing gas canisters....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

teenagers ..... sitting in their bedrooms creating carcinogenic gases.

Some pretty repulsive gases can emerge from their rear-ends however.  🤢

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10