The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A belated morning all from Estuary-Land. I overslept this morning, not waking up until half past eight. I had breakfast then went upstairs, laid down on the bed and went to sleep again.

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

And not I suspect good for the Iran football team. Had they won, they would have been heroes at home and the " authorities" couldn't have touched them.. But now not singing their anthem and losing to the USA....

Those that dare to go back, I can see a few defections coming up.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Returning, for a mo, to oncology: I do get a wee bit annoyed about those fund-raising ads that go along the lines of “together, we’ll beat cancer

Err, no we won’t - as cancer is due to various defects in the immune system (even for cancers secondary to significant exposure to carcinogens - it’s all down to whether or not your immune system can eradicate the cancer - which is down to having the right genome which in turn is due to having the right parents). So as long as people have immune systems that can “fail” there will be cancer (I’m simplifying a bit, immuno-oncology is incredibly complex)

However, as we learn more about cancer - how it develops, how it evades the immune system, where the vulnerabilities are - we learn that there is more than just one type of breast cancer or just one type of prostate cancer and in the very many types of each cancer “group” (such as breast cancer) are the various subtypes - does the cancer cell express Wild Type or Mutated EGFR? does the breast cancer patient with ductal carcinoma in situ have any inherited mutations (none? BRCA1? BRCA2? Both?) etc., etc.

Fortunately the immune system “fails” in the same way in most individuals afflicted with any certain given type of cancer. In fact, many of the new therapies are designed to get the immune system to (basically) react to the cancer the system is ignoring (it’s a bit like a concerned citizen going up to a donut eating cop and saying “you do know there’s an armed bank raid going on next door - hadn’t you better do something?”)

The typing of the cancer can be a critical factor in whether or not a cancer can be treated: I worked on a drug development programme which was developing a very, very effective treatment for breast cancer - but only if the cancer had a particular genetic mutation - without that mutation the treatment barely worked. As you can imagine it was difficult informing women who wanted to volunteer for the study that, yes they had breast cancer, but no - they didn’t have the right type of breast cancer to be allowed into the trial.

Interesting medical factoids:

• men can get breast cancer.

• It is estimated that every human will get cancer and every sexually active female will get pregnant at one time or another if not using effective contraception - but the immune system is usually very, very efficient at sniffing out and then destroying mutations. Geneticists and other experts in in reproductive and onco-biology reckon that most genetically defective fertilised ova and most malignant cells are destroyed by the immune system so quickly that at the macro level the individual won’t ever know she had been fertilised or they had had cancer*

* of course sometimes the immune system doesn’t work as it should and thus people get cancer and infants are born with birth defects…

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

That is wrong and for many women rather a cruel statement. 

Why?

“Pregnant” may be a broad term and used for simplicity, but biologists estimate that ova get fertilised on a regular basis and most do not even get implanted as at the genetic level there are errors which the immune system recognises and the fertilised ovum is destroyed. So, yes, at one time point or another a sexually active female not using contraception will have ova fertilsed.

As for being “cruel” biology is biology. A pack of wolves bringing down an elk and then start eating the prey’s internal whilst the prey is still alive is “cruel”. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

From the Money Saving Expert Website:

"Your renewal notice from your insurer will show the new price for next year (and the price you paid last year). It's usually sent around 28 days before your current policy ends. If you do nothing, it'll usually automatically renew at that new price, so always have your renewal date in your diary to take action. 

The cheapest time to get quotes is 23 days ahead of your renewal date – cover becomes more expensive the closer you get

Thanks PB.  Purely by coincidence the quotes I got 2 weeks ago are in fact 23 days ahead of my renewal date!  I've gone with the AA, not quite the cheapest but good enough for me.

Just been advised that my toys will be delivered tomorrow along with a case of beer that Steve has ordered for me so that looks like being a good start to my birthday.  😄

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Why?

“Pregnant” may be a broad term and used for simplicity, but biologists estimate that ova get fertilised on a regular basis and most do not even get implanted as at the genetic level there are errors which the immune system recognises and the fertilised ovum is destroyed. So, yes, at one time point or another a sexually active female not using contraception will have ova fertilsed.

As for being “cruel” biology is biology. A pack of wolves bringing down an elk and then start eating the prey’s internal whilst the prey is still alive is “cruel”. 

Alright perhaps not cruel when talking in Darwinian biology terms. Exceedingly insensitive. Are you one of those people who thinks women without  functioning ovaries and wombs are not women. Have,you ever been to a fertility clinic?  I have. Also I worked in predominantly female workplaces. The lengths some women went to get pregnant when they had fertility problems were incredible. Some had conditions that meant they never would. If you are going to get pedantic and say someone is pregnant because an egg is fertilised even if it can’t implant due to fibroids or endometriosis then I think you are trying to be too clever by three-quarters. 
Infertility in females has so many reasons. Relationships for some people have ended due to the stress of what turned out to be futile.

Tony

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

I've gone with the AA, not quite the cheapest but good enough for me.

We have been with the AA since 1982. In those days they had AA shops where you arranged your insurance. When Aditi first needed car insurance she had an annually renewable driving licence and I had a provisional licence. None of the insurers she contacted including her union supported one wanted to insure her but instead of formally declining they said she should try other people. We found a broker in Southend who insured us, ( for larger premium than normal) Aditi joined the AA and they kept asking us to let them insure us. They in fact,turned out not to charge more for declared conditions. So,out of some brand loyalty we have stayed with them. They must have put us with just about every motor insurance company over the years( search for best price)  but for the last couple we have been with their own insurers. I can’t recall any problems. When needed they have been efficient. Last time  I claimed, the policy was issued by the CoOp . They were good. However when I got the Evoque the AA said the CoOp wouldn’t issue a policy so another company was found. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Alright perhaps not cruel when talking in Darwinian biology terms. Exceedingly insensitive. Are you one of those people who thinks women without  functioning ovaries and wombs are not women. Have,you ever been to a fertility clinic?  I have. Also I worked in predominantly female workplaces. The lengths some women went to get pregnant when they had fertility problems were incredible. Some had conditions that meant they never would. If you are going to get pedantic and say someone is pregnant because an egg is fertilised even if it can’t implant due to fibroids or endometriosis then I think you are trying to be too clever by three-quarters. 
Infertility in females has so many reasons. Relationships for some people have ended due to the stress of what turned out to be futile.

Tony

“Pregnant” may have been used in a simplistic way.  But I don’t see how you made the jump from a statement about biology (which was about the immune system and how it generally is able to eliminate genetically defective cells - including fertilised ova) to concluding that I’m a misogynistic insensitive dinosaur, who knows little of and cares less about infertility and womens’ concerns, worries and hopes about that.

At the start of my career I volunteered at a clinic dedicated to providing free medical care (including sexual and fertility medicine) to women and in my career I have mostly worked surrounded by smart and clever women - so I don’t need to be told about predominantly female workplaces. Or about the concerns they have.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

sexually active female will get pregnant at one time or another if not using effective contraception

15 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I don’t see how you made the jump from a statement about biology (which was about the immune system and how it generally is able to eliminate genetically defective cells

I never said or implied you were a dinosaur. Quite simply the first statement wasn’t offered in context. Now you are trying to say you meant a more precise definition of pregnancy. You didn’t originally. I am very aware that being pregnant is not the same as producing a baby some months later. Having a child is not just about gametes and hormones. I still think that stating all women in the circumstances you describe is insensitive and wrong. It may be “correct” in some technical description of the fertility process. It was a provocative statement and provoked me. Well done.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

On a somewhat lighter note.....

@iL Dottore What wondrous Chrimbotat can we expect to be announced by CCI Gmbh Inc. this festive season?  

In other news....

Bear is awaiting delivery of three parcels at the moment - none of which are earth shatteringly exciting but seem to be taking their time all the same, one of which is no doubt due to Postie strike action; a second is in the care(?) of good 'ol Evri (Hermes) - who also see fit not to collect parcels at the agreed time, whilst the last is courtesy of The Big River so will no doubt be dumped on the doorstep to take it's chances against any light-fingered scrote who may happen to be passing.  The moral of the story is:  if you want anything special delivered for Chrimbo then sooner rather than later seems to be the order of the day - more so this year than for previous years.

Bear gone.

edit:  The Big River has just delivered - dumped on the doorstep, bell rung (makes a change....) and off out the gate by the time Bear opened the door....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

I had to shovel a small area out back for Whitney

Robbie cleared his own area (though I suspect  it wasn’t ever as much as you get). He liked to show how good he was by somehow bringing much of it back in. 

Edited by Tony_S
Tense of verb
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, polybear said:

moral of the story is:  if you want anything special delivered for Chrimbo then sooner rather than later seems to be the order of the day - more so this year than for previous years.

I think you are right. I think people trying to book Royal Mail stuff online yesterday before the strike days may have broken the system. We couldn’t log on. I ended up taking Aditi’s parcels to the CooP post office but the services she wanted are only available to purchase online. I was told none of the stuff I handed in would go until Friday anyway. I think it should get there in time as Aditi had sent it all early anyway. We seem to know so many people with birthdays in December. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I filled up on the A1 where it was £1.55 a litre

I tend to fill up at the same Shell garage as we don’t seem to venture too far nowadays.  However my car shows cost of fuel at nearby garages on the sat nav.  However it is always wrong for the garage we use and their indicated price on the sat nav is really high. As I am going overseas (Canvey Island) tomorrow I will have a look at the fuel cost. I can’t remember what I last paid, about £1.59 a litre I think.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
Spelling. Grammar. Loads of errors.
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

... the upwards movement of the Yellowstone caldera floor and the rising of the Yellowstone plateau have been increasing a lot recently - have declared that a supereruption of the Yellowstone is “overdue”. So if you have places to visit in the US on your bucket list, you’d better visit them “toot-sweet”

The real "see it before it's gone" US national park is Glacier National Park in Montana.

The glaciers are projected to completely disappear by the end of the century.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It’s sobering to reflect that many ERs (including yours truly) would be D-E-A-D had we been born even just 50 years earlier than we were.

Given our demographics, I imagine that perhaps most of us would have shuffled on.

Antibiotics (and doctors having more than one to try) certainly saved me before the age of 30. My youngest was 6 months old at the time.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

47 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Everyone here in Australia is  suddenly incwedibly  interested in soccer now til we get knocked  out in the  next bit whatever thats called.

... and probably via a penalty shootout.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Yesterday's weather was a curious mix. As related by @pH, Vancouver, BC saw snow. So did Seattle. Portland did not, though the Columbia River Gorge (60 miles from the reporting station at the airport and at minimal altitude) saw substantial snow (in the range of 6" - 11") - as did the mountain.

A short-lived warm front pushed though and highest temperatures yesterday (above 8°C) occurred close to midnight; though this did not scour the cold air out of the gorge. This was closely followed by a cold front with rain and wind overnight. Happily my morning walk was dry. After momentary sunshine, it's raining again now.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1