The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Hopefully the spam in my email box will decrease as of Wednesday.

Just about every day in the last week is "branded" and leveraged by electronic marketing, except Sunday. (I guess the NFL still owns that.)

Thanksgiving

Black Friday

Small Business Saturday

(Sunday)*

Cyber Monday

Giving Tuesday

* NFL week 12?

I don't mind an occasional email (and usually can easily unsubscribe) but I've been getting as many as three different emails every day from some retailers every day for about a week. Hopefully that will slow down.

• Friendly/supportive 16

3 minutes ago, pH said:

Our power has just gone out.

Hope it gets reconnected soon and everything is back online by morning. It's no fun in the dark with snow on the ground and no central heating. 

Don't open the freezer. It should be 'good' for 24 hours.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Hopefully the spam in my email box will decrease as of Wednesday.

Just about every day in the last week is "branded" and leveraged by electronic marketing, except Sunday. (I guess the NFL still owns that.)

Thanksgiving

Black Friday

Small Business Saturday

(Sunday)*

Cyber Monday

Giving Tuesday

* NFL week 12?

I don't mind an occasional email (and usually can easily unsubscribe) but I've been getting as many as three different emails every day from some retailers every day for about a week. Hopefully that will slow down.

You forgot one Oz

Give Captain Cynical your cash Wednesday 

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning to all and of course Sundry.  @chrisfI hope thatbthings go as well as they can. 

Here it is still dark but the fire has been rejuvenated  and it is warm in the house. We had a bit of frost on the car windscreens yesterday.  Time to put the duvet cover on the lemon tree.  The ironing awaits so some suitable music will be chosen.  Not a lot else to report apart from the fact that Beth and I watched and enjoyed the football last night.  The politics surrounding Iran being sent home by the USA must have been interesting.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning to all and of course Sundry.  @chrisfI hope thatbthings go as well as they can. 

Herecitbis still dark but the firevhas been rejuvenated  and it is warm in the house. We had a bit of frost on the car windscreens yesterday.  Time to put the duvet cover on the lemon tree.  The ironing awaits so some suitable music will be chosen.  Not a lot else to report apart from the fact that Beth and I watched and enjoyed the football last night.  Thecpolitics surrounding Iran being sent home by the USA must have been interesting.

Jamie

And not I suspect good for the Iran football team. Had they won, they would have been heros at home and the " authorities" couldn't have touched them.. But now not singing their anthem and losing to the USA....

• Like 2
  • Agree 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

43 minutes ago, TheQ said:

And not I suspect good for the Iran football team. Had they won, they would have been heros at home and the " authorities" couldn't have touched them.. But now not singing their anthem and losing to the USA....

Being thrashed by England in the opening game won’t have done them much good either. England is regarded in a very low light  - perfidious Albion indeed - because of political manoeuvring in the 19th century during the Great Game and the protection of our interests in India. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, chrisf said:

This moring's news is not entirely welcome.  I have started chemotherapy.  More ruddy tablets ...

Unpleasant news, I agree. But I shouldn’t grumble too much - without these “ruddy tablets”  you wouldn’t be with us today.

Medicine has transformed itself over the past half-century, especially in Oncology. When I started in the 1970s, a diagnosis like yours was pretty much a guaranteed death sentence. Nowadays, many cancers - if caught early enough - are not just treatable but in many instances curable.

Many of the 15 Medical Milestones flagged by the BMJ were already in place in the 1970s (https://www.bmj.com/content/medical-milestones) but it was the rocket fuelled development of computer technology in the 1990s which lead to a tsunami of advances in molecular biology which in turn led to the monoclonal antibodies - a mammoth advance for the treatment of cancer.

It’s sobering to reflect that many ERs (including yours truly) would be D-E-A-D had we been born even just 50 years earlier than we were. Verily, until quite recently, life for most people was indeed “nasty, brutish and short” 

Now to do something about obesity, alcohol, smoking and other lifestyle related disease, which - according to a number of reports I’ve read - eats up about 40% of the NHS budget

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

You didn't by any chance come across a Tonka Test Pilot called Dave Tanner alias Uncle T amongst the team.  He's a mutual friend of myself and Dave Hunt.

Jamie

Sadly not - the Guys I dealt with were either Flight Test Dept. (but no Aircrew), the Armourers or the Mech & Avionics Guys from the Hangar.  Good times - we had a pretty good crack.

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Oakland had a bad reputation for a good reason. 

A quick Google found this (based on 2019 - I somehow suspect that things are worse now):

Crime in Oakland, California

Crime is ranked on a scale of 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)

Oakland violent crime is 75.5. (The US average is 22.7)

Oakland property crime is 81.2. (The US average is 35.4)

A certain Bear has just crossed it off his Bucket List....

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

You forgot one Oz

Give Captain Cynical your cash Wednesday 

And the most important one of all:

Give Bear your Cake Thursday 😁

Bear here.....

MIUABGAD - starting with new labels to go on the parcel to be collected; Evri failed yesterday as well (it wasn't booked, but I did think they might anyway as they failed on Monday).  The buyer has been advised....

After that I think I'll start pondering the installation of small decorative ceiling roses for the Hall and Landing Ceilings - I already have the roses (one is plaster, the other is MDF).  

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Firstly, VSBT's to @chrisf......

57 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

I also need to sort out my car insurance renewal although I've still got a couple of weeks go do that.  

From the Money Saving Expert Website:

"Your renewal notice from your insurer will show the new price for next year (and the price you paid last year). It's usually sent around 28 days before your current policy ends. If you do nothing, it'll usually automatically renew at that new price, so always have your renewal date in your diary to take action. 

The cheapest time to get quotes is 23 days ahead of your renewal date – cover becomes more expensive the closer you get

Our analysis of over 70 million quotes from February 2020 to February 2021 from the four biggest comparison sites – Compare The Market, Confused.com, Gocompare and MoneySupermarket – showed a policy costs an average of £1,198 a year on renewal day. But 23 days earlier the average is just £694 a year, a MASSIVE £504 difference.

In general, the closer to your renewal date you get quotes, the more of a risk you're deemed to be (we've heard that it can show insurers you're a bit disorganised). But getting quotes too early, for example, 28+ days out, can also push the average price up – likely as fewer insurers will provide quotes that early". 

HTH

Bear gone.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It’s sobering to reflect that many ERs (including yours truly) would be D-E-A-D had we been born even just 50 years earlier than we were. Verily, until quite recently, life for most people was indeed “nasty, brutish and short” 

I've read that the modal age of death in England and Wales was 0 until the early 1960s, such was the prevalence of infant deaths.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Some of the electrical noise on the systems has been traced.. When the outside lights came on the noise levels doubled, there is a second system in the lab now with a routing running on it keeping a measure of when these noises show up.. 

LED lighting?  They are awfully electrically 'noisy'.

Morning, late on here due to full on domestication, but the washing is done, and now as it is a sunny 8c, I'm off for a walk to the Post Office.

Best wishes sent to Chrisf, iD's pills should keep you well.

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

Today I’m on door answering duties as Sheila will be grappling with the iron and bedding and when this is taking place, she does NOT like interrupted!

Hmm......playing Doorman, or risking an 'umpy SWMBO?  No-brainer.

Bear is MIUAHGA - some prep/planning associated with the Great H/S/L refurb (that is taking FAR longer than it should - the antics of certain brush-wielding fellow ER'ers are putting a Bear to shame.....) plus a little checking/planning regarding a possible new mod to the chassis construction jig.

Right, time to empty the kitchen bin cos' it's bin day tomorrow. 

In other news.....

@chrisf Any news on the iffy legs - any better?

And finally.....

Bear is rather impressed with @PupCam's machining exploits - sadly such projects that require time-consuming and very careful setting up become a no-no when you only have an evening to do them it ☹️

Bear gone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1