The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Salisbury Oh I be know new Sarum, number 8 bus from where I used to live, An Aunt lived in the grounds of the cathedral and a great Aunt just outside, some years later, GEC paid for me to stay in Sailsbury while I did about 3 months work at Boscombe Down. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16

5 hours ago, southern42 said:

Are "girl", "laddie", "mate", "you chaps", "you guys"... any better? 😲

🤣

I remember them all, in turn, among others! I doubt it will get any better, whatever the next substitution. 

Calling a black adult male "boy" is extremely demeaning. It is a hangover from the days of slavery in the US. Some say it's even more offensive than the N word.

https://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/15/understanding-why-you-dont-call-a-black-man-a-boy/

Edited by AndyID
Link
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis kept popping up all day today, Nurofen has sent him packing. When I was a union rep. I often visited Manchester where the union (GMB) had a training centre at Whalley Grange. The training centre was a former none-conformist seminary. We were warned not to venture out on our own and the area itself looked very run down with many derelict buildings. A few years later the area had been transformed and looked quite smart, gentrified in fact. Another fact was the new residents were Moslem and the GMB have sold the building and it is now an Islamic centre.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I worked for ITT in the 80s and on business trips we were obliged to stay at Sheraton hotels as they in the ITT conglomerate. On one trip I had to go to Hartford in Connecticut. I'd never been to Connecticut before and I thought it would be quite nice - sort of New Englandy.

The Sheraton I was staying at was surrounded by an an eight foot high chain-link fence with a security guard at the gate 😀

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

This is the best I can do. Click on the small image. 
https://dailytelegraph.pressreader.com/article/281835762714333

I can see it now........

Editor:  "Jeez, we can't publish that - the PCC will slaughter us; gerrim' to raise the choo choo up a foot or so and take the bluddy picture again......"  🤣

59 minutes ago, TheQ said:

GEC paid for me to stay in Sailsbury while I did about 3 months work at Boscombe Down. 

Bear's usual haunt was the Red Lion Hotel; we stayed once at The White Hart Hotel and I did stay above a non-smoking Pub in Town (that was in the days when you could smoke in Pubs) a few times - as a non-smoker it was quite a nice place.  The other regular haunt was The Highpost Hotel (they had a pool, plus it was closer to Boscombe) but that was out of town so not so useful for Restaurants.

I recall one night in the Red Lion at about 3am - I heard a key rattling in the lock of the bedroom door, then the door opens and some bloke walks in - which kinda focuses a Bear's attention at 3am....

I called out to him - he does an about turn and walks out again without a word; I stuck my heard out the door to see the Night Porter walking down the corridor - he turns and apologises and says "just checking for empty rooms, Sir".  Like b*llox he was - he wanted a crafty snooze for a couple of hours.  I didn't get much sleep after that, for some reason.🤬  I had words at reception the next morning....

One of the guys from another company we worked with (Leonardo) walked into a Hotel room to discover a couple of the staff "going at it hammer n' tongs"......🤣

32 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Well the ride was rid, and we only got a little wet.  Chilly but heated handlebar grips are a wonderful invention.

Bear had heated gloves - at least they were when I used to stop half-way to work and wrap the paws around the cylinder to defrost....

In other news.....

A bit of caulking where the coving joins the ceiling - the coving is ready to paint now (or at least will be when the caulk has gone off).

And finally.....

Here's a way that Bear hasn't heard of before - I image falling off into the wash would'nt be funny:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63791372

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Trouble with the High Post was the heating didn't come on until the key fob was put in a slot on the wall.. was ******* freezing in the rooms till the heating had been on for some time...

Used the White Hart a few times, 

The Red l;ion once or twice

Tried the Antrobus Arms in Amesbury once.. was a right dump then, never went back.

These were about 1995...

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Trouble with the High Post was the heating didn't come on until the key fob was put in a slot on the wall.. was ******* freezing in the rooms till the heating had been on for some time...

The trick was to use the handle of your toothbrush in the slot instead - that would push the button down and put the power/heating back on...

I recall one December in the early/mid 90's - so before N.I. had calmed down - the Hotel Owner at the time ("Enzo" IIRC) received a call to ask if four guys would be admitted to the Nightclub (which was on the end of the Hotel) as they had a policy of no groups of unaccompanied guys.  Enzo gave the ok, as they'd phoned in advance.....

That evening, four guys turn up in a cab - dressed as Primary School Kids - grey shorts, long socks, ties, caps - the works......🤣  It was obvious they were Pongos (there was a lot of Army around at the time).

The Nightclub Bouncer took one look and said "No Chance"; they pointed out that Enzo had given the ok, so Enzo was summoned.  Enzo appeared and confirmed he had - but hadn't realised they'd be turning up in fancy dress.  Enzo looks at the Bouncer, who says "they're trouble!" so Enzo says "sorry lads - Bouncer has the last word".  So off go four very p1ssed off Pongos in another cab - which wasn't cheap.

It seems that at 2am that cold December morning all Hotel and Nightclub Guests were standing out in the car park whilst Bomb Disposal, The Police and MP's searched the Hotel following a Bomb Scare; amongst the guests were the Tornado Trials Team from Warton.  Meanwhile, a certain Bear - who was working with the Team - was all snuggly wuggly in bed in The Red Lion, following a nice scoff in the Italian in Town.....😁

Edited by polybear
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

For those it may interest:

But Tesco* is entering the battle this week, offering one-litre of Baileys for £10 from Thursday 1 December. The offer is for Clubcard members and gets a discount from Tesco's usual price of £21. The deal runs until Monday 12 December and is available online and in stores, including Express.  You can buy a maximum of six bottles per person

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

3 hours ago, polybear said:

And finally.....

Here's a way that Bear hasn't heard of before - I image falling off into the wash would'nt be funny:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63791372

I wonder how many didn't make it?

2 hours ago, polybear said:

This museum has just been featured on the TV News - looked quite interesting; they had loads of toys that a certain Bear remembers fondly:

https://museumofbrands.com/

Notting Hill, London

I like the H-D 3-rail.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 8

Is this now the true spirit of the Christmas season?

81DA0F21-83F3-4CB1-906A-2D298D5CF278.jpeg.9d86a26eb143a6ba3f9e7326edf35081.jpeg

I’m actually quite disappointed to see this on this particular bakery. Every evening, they give away to charities items that have reached their ‘sell by’ dates that day. A friend of ours used to collect from them each day and distribute to families in a low-rent apartment block. This notice doesn’t seem to fit too well with that.

Edited by pH
  • Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, pH said:

Is this now the true spirit of the Christmas season?

About 5 years ago Greggs ( a chain of bakery product purveyors for our overseas readers information ) had the a nativity scene with the baby replaced with a sausage roll on their advent calendar. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

16 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Churchill had the right idea “In War, Resolution; In Defeat, Defiance; In Victory, Magnanimity; and in Peace, Good Will.” and with mammoth US investment (via the Marshall Plan) the western allies really did achieve the ultimate victory

Churchill was sent packing by the British people during the Potsdam conference. His sentiment was laudable (like most of his speeches) but he had nothing to do with the immediate post-war era being confined to being 'in opposition' in parliament - other than the partnership he and FDR cultivated bloomed into the "special relationship", even when in new hands.

Demonstrably the Marshall Plan was a self-interested one by the US. By propping up new democratic governments in the countries that lost the war, prosperity and allies were created - far better than the traditional European approach of periodic, regular warfare contesting continental hegemony since the wars of the reformation.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9