The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

My, that's a rather nice lump of shiny stuff you've got there, Puppers......

Does @PupCam's scrap box have magical properties, perhaps?

College Buddy purchased a scrap lump of 75mm round brass bar from Ally Pally several years ago for twenty quid - after a certain Bear mentioned it'd now cost him £125 he was kickin' himself for not buying more; the price of metal has gone thru' the roof lately - brass is just nutz now.  Whenever Bear sees any usable stuff in the scrap bin it's immediately rescued.

A lump of 6” dia. nickel ali bronze (usable length of 80mm) was advertised on the Homeworkshop website recently - for 200 notes; apparently on-line suppliers are asking anything from 350 to 700 notes.  Bluddy Hell.

A couple of hours of sanding this morning; I'll do a bit of filling this afternoon - I'll be needing the fine surface filler very shortly - it's due for delivery on Monday.

Scrap metal ..? Roof?.... I have a need for 50kg of lead😀

The brake for spinny thingy didn't work, heat shrink ordered, I need to get some in as I won't have access to any at work in the future.

Much cutting shaping and surforming later we have a rough blank for the rudder, having mentioned to possibility of breaking the foam, I did, a new bit has been glued in place. That will be shaped tomorrow, then the whole thing sanded down.

Ben the sleeping Collie took me for his full long walk, during that some pink footed geese flew by, they normally turn inland and fly over our house.  This lot didn't and continued down the coast, then about 1/3 turned round and started flying back the way they came.  Most unusual, then as the third carried on every so often a small group would break off to follow the main group. Most odd.

I think it's time to follow Ben's example, 

By for now.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

My new iPad seems fine. Typing this while it is transferring 6+Gb from the iCloud backup. I did try using the “put it next to your old iPad” method but it kept failing. Probably different Bluetooth flavours or something. Cloud version is also quicker it seems.

I don’t think the present backup includes the iTunes content, but that can be sorted later. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I have a minor problem with the car, the tailgate won't stay open. The struts either need re-gassing or replacing, more modelling tokens lost. Still got to do some shopping but not just yet as the schools are turning out, give them another half hour.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, 45156 said:
23 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

As to mentioning Jock land I was sitting on Ruffec station at lunchtime reading Davd L Smith's tales of the G&SW.  I immediately thought of our late colleague Jock 67B.  I miss his daily summaries.

I miss Jock too - more so because we discovered that my late father was his music teacher in primary school, and in a PM to me,  Jock said that he inspired Jock;'s love of music

Yes I think many of us miss Jock.  In my case because we may actually have met many years before there was an RMweb.  His family owned or was connected with what was then Wendron Mine in Cornwall turning it into the tourist attraction "Poldark Mine".  I would have visited that location during his time there.  And by coincidence I was in the area on the day of his funeral and stood, head bowed, at the gates for a moment.  

IMG_3089.jpg.b03c6850886fccd0c4a35d69195f85c7.jpg

The Jock 67B Cancer Ward topic, created here in his memory, remains open for any and all affected in any way by this dreadful disease to talk in as much confidence as the internet allows and in a supportive environment.  

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Scrap metal ..? Roof?.... I have a need for 50kg of lead😀

Every time I visit Italy it never ceases to amaze me at just how many buildings have copper gutters and drainpipes - big stuff, too.  Try that in the UK and it'd have a life of about 0.15mS.....

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

The brake for spinny thingy didn't work, heat shrink ordered, I need to get some in as I won't have access to any at work in the future.

Has @The Q not spent the last year collecting "off-cuts"? 🤣

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I have a minor problem with the car, the tailgate won't stay open. The struts either need re-gassing or replacing, more modelling tokens lost. Still got to do some shopping but not just yet as the schools are turning out, give them another half hour.

Never heard of tailgate struts being re-gassed before; if it can be done then I'd be suspicious that a seal is bvggered anyway, otherwise the gas would've stayed put.

I'd expect a couple of new struts to be a very easy DIY fix anyway - Ebay is your friend....

20 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Well, there was a massive surprise when I picked up my weekly bank statement - I had a larger balance than I expected, due to a credit from our solicitor from the house move - no explanation, and she was unavailable, but 30747 and I racked our brains, and concluded that it was probably the payment in advance which they requested when we instructed them on our move - that was now over a year ago.

Beary Rule of Acquisition Number 7:  Never question an unexpected windfall, just in case they gave it to you by mistake.....

Bear here....

Yet more filling; I've just received a bonus delivery of the Fine Surface Filler arriving early (they were saying Monday).  Oh goody - Bear will be able to.....fill and sand some more.  Turdycurses.  

In other news.....

I see that the Iranian Kickball Team were "singing"** the National Anthem at the start of their match against Wales.  They've been got at.

(**Their lips were moving.  Just).

And finally.....

Some Herbert called Kanye West has announced he's running for The Big House in 2024 - and reportedly he's asked The Orange One to be his running mate.  Can you just imagine the disaster those two would be?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

You can always try for downunda citizenship -  just need to know your Maloo from your Monaro and which end of a snake not to touch. Oh, and theres also a test.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/test-and-interview/prepare-for-test/practice-test-new 

I got 90%. Most of it consisted of common sense.

On the UK one I got 8 right but that included 2 guesses.

Perhaps I should move to Australia. If I do, will have have to bring SWMBO?

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening All!

I see the post quoting option isn't working.   I've tried several times but the 'n' Quotes box isn't clickable.       Those Gremlins have been let loose again or maybe it's another case of "If it ain't broke don't fix it" (...... 'cos it'll be broke after you have!).   Anybody else having trouble?

Anyway to answer @polybear's scrap bin question; not exactly magical but I do take every opportunity to scrounge raw material whenever I can.      That lump of ali actually had the price £5-50 in marker pen on it.    I would say that dates it to about 1988!    I actually scrounged it plus a load more and a chunk of phosphor bronze  for the new Beeza main bearing from a mate.   As he was the one that sold me the Beeza in the first place (to be fair he had no way of knowing what a pile of Carp a Previous Owner had left the internals in).  He may or may not have a twinge of embarrassment about the transaction although he has no need; you have no way of knowing what's been done to any 80+ year old machine that's been through numerous owners during its life.        Caveat emptor applies, the Beeza wasn't expensive (for a pre-war project) and fortunately it wasn't a Vincent or a Brough because I couldn't afford it if it were!

630212798_NewMainBearingSmall.jpg.14b05158233b8b5fc858f25a7d769bce.jpg

In Other News

I made it to St Evenage and back again OK - I won't push my luck tomorrow with a third trip 🤣.

The monitor works nicely with the telescope camera - Tick!

I had a cunning plan to use it as a second PC monitor when it wasn't performing astronomical functions.   Unfortunately I'd forgotten my ageing graphics card was probably built before HDMI was invented,    Drat and Double Drat!     Never mind.

TTFNQ

Alan

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

43 minutes ago, pgcroc said:

I got 90%. Most of it consisted of common sense.

On the UK one I got 8 right but that included 2 guesses.

Perhaps I should move to Australia. If I do, will have have to bring SWMBO?

We dont need any more of those.

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, polybear said:

And finally.....

Some Herbert called Kanye West has announced he's running for The Big House in 2024 - and reportedly he's asked The Orange One to be his running mate.  Can you just imagine the disaster those two would be?

I think the election campaign would be a hoot! The only problem would be that they might get elected.

• Like 2
  • Agree 12

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I have a minor problem with the car, the tailgate won't stay open. The struts either need re-gassing or replacing

I've replaced the struts on the rear lid. It eliminated a lot of frustration and bonks on the head. Best money I ever spent on the car.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Never heard of tailgate struts being re-gassed before; if it can be done then I'd be suspicious that a seal is bvggered anyway, otherwise the gas would've stayed put.

I'd expect a couple of new struts to be a very easy DIY fix anyway

Yes. The answer is to replace the struts. DIY is a maybe, depending on precisely how they are mounted - and you might need a tool to compress them while they are being attached.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Odd weather in the last couple of days.

We finally broke our stretch of 14 consecutive days of no measurable precipitation with about 7mm of rain. Since then it was very foggy here on Wednesday and again yesterday, though as soon as my son and I crested the hill heading north to Portland the whole northern end of the Portland metro was under bright blue sunny skies and remained that way all day. When we returned in the evening we hit the fog in exactly the same spot where we left it.

It was dim and foggy again this morning here. I hadn't noticed the fog lift when I realized it was raining. We need the rain.

• Like 17

12 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

As a bonus I also know what a Monaro is, there are two I see regularly in Douglas, they live within yards of each other.  Never seen another!  Both red, perhaps they only came in that colour in the British Isles, there can't have been that many imported.

Just need a Maloo now!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

I had a cunning plan to use it as a second PC monitor when it wasn't performing astronomical functions.   Unfortunately I'd forgotten my ageing graphics card was probably built before HDMI was invented,    Drat and Double Drat!     Never mind.

Here's the solution to that . 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=vga+to+hdmi+converter&_sacat=0

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Evening All!

I see the post quoting option isn't working.   I've tried several times but the 'n' Quotes box isn't clickable.       Those Gremlins have been let loose again or maybe it's another case of "If it ain't broke don't fix it" (...... 'cos it'll be broke after you have!).   Anybody else having trouble?

Yup....

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yes. The answer is to replace the struts. DIY is a maybe, depending on precisely how they are mounted - and you might need a tool to compress them while they are being attached.

Sounds like a job for hairy string....

Bear is currently watching a film called "The Heat" with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy - it's crackin' me up....🤣

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Tis chilly outside, which doesn't explain why the choke light stayed on on the diesel Landrover...? They use it to indicate that the glow plugs are on, it should go off soon as the engine starts, but it stayed on for a couple of miles...

10 Metres of 0.6mm square wire cut into 20mm lengths and painted brown... The fencing team will be busy again next week.

A jig for jubilee track partly constructed.

Hmm had to reboot this tablet, the keyboard disappeared.

Forgot the pat testing gear for the third week running, there are now six PSUs to be tested.

Since I work in Cal not repair, off cuts etc don't normally come my way. If I need to " borrow" some it needs to be searched for or asked for.

Muggachoccy drunk,

Goodnight Awl,

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13