The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Well that's good news at least. The poor women has obviously been ill for some time then. Whilst not wishing to make light of it let's hope she's able to get better for there sake as she is there mother and no child wants to have a poorly parent.

I shall say no more other than I hope they can help her.

• Like 1
  • Agree 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Check the “Theme” drop down option at the bottom of the page. It should be set to your subscription theme. It used to occasionally wander. Also the forum has been dropping logged in status occasionally for me, I think it happens when the iPad leaves some standby state. Easily recognised by the Permissions statement. 

it says RMWEB Premium, though the ads have disappeared again..

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good morning everyone 

Well it’s been chuckinitdarn here most of the night, but it stopped about an hour or so ago. So once again, I’ll be staying inside, where I’ll continue working on the new access hole. Hopefully the last of the brick work will be added and I can do the pointing on the reverse side of the hole I filled, which shouldn’t take long. Once that’s done, I’ll measure and cut the timber for the floor support beam, it’s not really needed as the flooring above seems quite firm, but I’ll put it in anyway. I’ll also add foam to both sides of the bottom edge, (just like the support beam above the hole linking phases 2 and 3) just in case I hit my head, because it hurts like hell, don’t ask me how I know!  

Back later. 

Brian

A repeat offender then by the sound of it.

Rain has only just stopped here but is supposed to be restarting imminently. Bad goes finishing the last fence panel replacement. Watch this space.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Rain-sunshine-rain-sunshine today. Skies are now clear and it looks as if it's going to be a cold night. Just getting this evenings dinner ready, liver & bacon with mash and onion gravy.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

In my experience mathematical modellers live in a different world to the rest of us.   Theirs is an entirely model-centric universe.     On numerous occasions I remember comparison between real-world object behaviour and model behaviour.     When there was a difference

It is very frustrating.  Teaching something like Introduction to Modelling years ago I could see  exactly what you mean. We tried out best to teach modelling as part of a normal technology project, design, implement, test, modify, etc. but ignoring observations was common. 
I once set an exam question that described a mathematical model prediction for the population of small rodents on an island. The “actual” population graph deviated from the model. The question asked what conclusions could the researchers make. The distractor/obviously wrong answer “Add more hamsters until the model is satisfied “ was the most popular answer. Obviously I hadn’t done a very good job teaching. 

• Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

One of my choir pals has a bunch of Lionel O gauge stuff he's no use for and has asked if I might help (as in DO IT) sell it all on eBay. He's never done any buying or selling on eBay before so I may well help him out.

First question I'd ask:  Just how much is "A Bunch Of"?  Discovering it's a shedload of items means a big, big job.....

Bear would suggest giving him a teach-in so he can do it himself - that way it's his Ebay reputation if there are any problems with any items.

As a minimum I'd want to see the items personally and running - or sell as "Untested - sold as seen";  if it's not too many then another option if he's totally computer illiterate is for you to list them but he has to do all the packing and posting - that bit is the biggest PITA in my experience.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The distractor/obviously wrong answer “Add more hamsters until the model is satisfied “ was the most popular answer.

That's an insight into human behaviour though - often seen in "professional" settings.

There's a joke told by the protagonists of the Big Bang Theory (s. 1, ep, 9: The Cooper-Hofstadter Polarization):

"A farmer has some chickens who don't lay any eggs. The farmer calls a physicist to help. The physicist does some calculation and says "I have a solution but it only works for spherical chickens in a vacuum!".

This I found very clever. It is evident in a packing density problem: like how do you determine how many chickens are in a truck - first assume the chickens are spherical. The credit does not belong to Big Bang Theory writers. The joke as origins as the spherical cow. That linked Wikipedia article states that "Postulate a spherical chicken" dates to at least 1973.

• Like 11

Well you'll be pleased to learn that the sea weed wranglers were wrong and it didn't start to pour down this afternoon. Instead there was the odd spit and spot. So I braved the great outdoors and began 'demolition' aka refurbishment of the last fence panel.

Those of you who have been paying attention will have noted the word 'last' in this drivel. Yes it was the final panel of three and they've taking so long because I like to make each panel using timber being thrown away.

It really does sadden me to see perfectly good materials being sent to the tip. I suppose it's a reflection of our throw away society.

Anyway work didn't get far because a new gravel board is now required. I had hoped to avoid this, but as the fence is shared with next door it has been decided that it would be the 'proper' thing to have. To be honest they will seen it more than me so I can see there side. Anyway one has been ordered and will be ready for collection tomorrow. All that will be needed then is for the rain to stop long enough for it to be fitted. I predict flying pigs might be seen.

• Like 19

5 hours ago, PupCam said:

In my experience mathematical modellers live in a different world to the rest of us.   Theirs is an entirely model-centric universe.

Nevertheless, every piece of electronics, every bridge we cross, every aircraft on which we fly; functions due to such modelling.

Testing. of course, helps too.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Nevertheless, every piece of electronics, every bridge we cross, every aircraft on which we fly; functions due to such modelling.

But hopefully not modelled by any of my former students.  Or to be fair the GNVQ Intermediate students I mentioned earlier. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

But hopefully not modelled by any of my former students.  Or to be fair the GNVQ Intermediate students I mentioned earlier. 

Perhaps they all had the same sense of humour as you.

• Like 5
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

A bits n' pieces day today - outside taps all insulated and turned off; I also took the opportunity to clean the area where the washing machine fits - and then in a moment of madness pulled out the fridge freezer and cleaned that area too.  Tick.  After that it was a multitude of bits n' pieces jobs - it kept me amused (ish) for the day and with very little wasted time, so that's a Tick as well.  The downside is I never got any filling or sanding done today - but I can live with that.....

Bear gone.....

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, BoD said:

Perhaps they all had the same sense of humour as you.

The GNVQ Advanced students did. The other lot I mentioned had the student who asked me what group Mark Scheme was in as he always got 100%.

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Bear spoke too soon.....

I now get a World of Railways pop-up at the top of the screen....

Is anyone having any issues when refreshing TNM in order to see new posts - all I get is the circular dots rotating.  At times it'll behave but it's very temperamental.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear spoke too soon.....

I now get a World of Railways pop-up at the top of the screen....

Is anyone having any issues when refreshing TNM in order to see new posts - all I get is the circular dots rotating.  At times it'll behave but it's very temperamental.

I haven’t noticed any refresh problems today.I just revisited TNM and it was fine. However if your delay was caused by perhaps an adserver I wouldn’t be aware as I don’t see ads. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... How many more noses in the trough? You and I have paid for this. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2022/11/23/drifting/

Many years ago I went on detachment to Italy at a time when that country was mired in political upheaval, corruption and rank incompetence. I remember thinking how lucky I was to live in a country that did not suffer such disadvantages. If only I had been able to see into the future.......

Dave

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8