The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Sodium Chlorate weed killer, creosote as mentioned before, TBT a boat antifouling that worked..

Oh yes, SC....you could have "fun" with that stuff.  Mind you, the Teachers were less than happy when a certain small furry schoolcub put a match to some in the boy's changing rooms at a Sailing Base during a Games lesson.  Seems they got panicky when clouds of smoke went billowing past their office window, which was directly upstairs.  Got a team b*llockin' but nothing worse, fortunately.

As for Creosote, still available I believe but in 25L drums to Farmers etc.  Rumour has it that old engine oil mixed with white spirit is a DIY substitute, but without that lovely smell.....

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9Afternoon all 

Bathroom refit continues apace so have been missing for most of the day.

Can i add Verdone weedkiller to the list.

Oh and I don't think Brasso is as good as it used to be. Maybe it was because it was Brasso wedding o bought.

Upvc cleaner doesn't seem to be as potent these days. I got some from a customer of ours in around 2003 it was brilliant shifted ingrained dirt. Some had leaked down the side of the bottle and it ate through it like putting poly cement on expanded polystyrene.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Twp triggers so far  - hydrangers - snap replanted a number today and Chrisf - not god that you are in constant pain but you gave the reminder that I will be at Tolworth with Salisbury's Bodmin General.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Windoze 10 deleted the wireless driver for my printer last month - just like that, because it felt like it.  Took about an hour to sort out, a very annoyed ranty hour.

Kitchen's finished, and mates rates turned out to be less than I had allowed for - bonus.  Cracking job, he's a proper craftsman, very happy.  An un-rant?

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 3

1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

Twp triggers so far  - hydrangers - snap replanted a number today and Chrisf - not god that you are in constant pain but you gave the reminder that I will be at Tolworth with Salisbury's Bodmin General.

I was hoping to be there too but it's not looking good - the evil combination of computer related trouble and bodily pain

Chris

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Recent conversation/observation/squabbles on police vehicles puts me in mind of old the Top Gear.

In this country they were routinely similar, usually large sedans from the likes of Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet. (The Bluesmobile is a good example, though I cannot comment on whether their cigarette lighters function.) They interested me little and I preferred to avoid any interactions with them.

One of the weirder outcomes of the law of unintended consequences resulted from what became known as "1033" - from Section 1033 of the National Defense Authorization Act of Fiscal Year 1997; (which had a precedent from 1990) where the "Defense Logistics Agency Disposition Services, Law Enforcement Support Office" (LESO) coordinated the transfer of excess military equipment to non-military law enforcement agencies. 

It resulted in  police forces owning and operating 'tactical' vehicles that no police agency in a democracy should have any business operating under 'normal' circumstances, leading to silly behavior like this Portland-area episode a few years ago.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

17 minutes ago, chrisf said:

I was hoping to be there too but it's not looking good - the evil combination of computer related trouble and bodily pain

Sorry to hear of your woes Chris. 

All being well I will be visiting Tolworth at the weekend, probably on Saturday but that may change.  Look forward to (hopefully) meeting you Peter after missing you at the Farnham show.  Along with Epsom this is the nearest show to home and is only a 15-20 minute drive away.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

The last time I saw a village police station was when I tried to report a lost dog - it was running loose on an A road and I couldn't catch it myself, so drove in to the nearest village and to my surprise, found one. Unattended, he/she/they were dealing with other things, so just left a message. 

Theres one just up the road from here, someone has given it 5 stars on Google reviews.

Thats a tradie parked out front, its not the Police Ute.

2115848287_Screenshot(550).png.c3b65de8396fc0ca7a5113c3d98bd621.png

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, chrisf said:

When I do remember to buy tickets I get a lucky dip.  What if one or more of the tickets that I should have bought had been a winner?

Just imagine  though, if you bought tickets with the same numbers rather than lucky dip, forgot one week, and …

… ouch.

Sorry to hear of your various trials and tribulations. Hang on in there.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Because of that I had to merge some files, transfering graphs, at one point I'd transferred the graphs saved the file, then shut it down ... When I turned it back on the graph was missing, it did it again in front of a disbelieving witness ...

Just wait, you'll be missing all this fun next year.....🤣

Bear here......

An evening of fun at the M.E. Group at College, including watching very clever buddy - he's a retired Jeweller - making the stuff [very, VERY top-end stuff too] silver soldering some bits of a steam engine one of the other guys is making.

Bear managed to finish the mods. to the chassis construction jig - a bit of minor bench work at home left to do and that's it.  Result - and all without blood or pain.

• Like 13

Evening All,

Absent again due to preparations for the upcoming exhibition and earning brownie points to make sure thing run smoothly. 
Still feeling cr@p, still got head cold and now a bit off a cough.Thought I might try Baz’s cure but didn’t really fancy anything to eat at teatime so th3 curry Ive got will have to wait. I’m hoping it’s be a bit better by the weekend but it’s awfully close now. Up to Normanton tomorrow to fetch 35 tables and then the set up begins. As I’m not taking a layout I’m hoping to be away a bit sooner than the usual Friday time. 
Anyway Goodnight,

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

@BoD, @Two_sugars.. this is a baz alert. I shall be arriving in Horden at about 14:30 tomorrow.  Off to our school reunion at the Coms Club later then back to Leeds on Saturday for a Kaiser Chiefs gig (and yes we are in the mosh pit!)

No concussion after my accident but boy are my neck muscles giving me jip!

Sleep wellall!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

For most of the day I’ve kept thinking that today was Friday! Anyway, the shopping is now done and this leaves tomorrow free so we can both go to the RHS Bridgewater and take a walk through the woodlands. Given its location so close to the M60 it’s a very peaceful and quiet walk and we both enjoy it. 

After dinner, I headed downstairs to the office and did a bit more work on the turntable circuit board diagrams. I redrew the circuit board for the variable speed controller for the turntable drive motor. I then went through all my drawings and deleted all duplicate drawings, of which there were quite a few. I then set up 2 separate files, one for my original set of drawings, with 4 pole relay boards and the other for the modified drawings, with 2 pole relays. Each file has a full set of drawings in them. 

This evening after tea, we sat down and watched this afternoon’s episode of ‘The Repair Shop’ and then we finally got round to watching the first 2 episodes of the current BBC drama about the origins of the SAS. Surprisingly Sheila enjoyed it. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2