The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Never knew there was a difference between bread and butter pudding,  and bread pudding,  either way bricks were served..

Never been at a company that gave wedding days off , several gave deaths a day off, parents, brothers sisters and children.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its natural habitat is the  tropical rainforests of  Queensland and  northern NSW  so I don't know - maybe Wales?

If the Welsh can survive in Wales they are probably resustant to the plant 8n question.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Funny 9

6 hours ago, polybear said:

imagine such plants being let loose to freely grow outdoors, if indeed our climate is suitable

They like subtropical rainforests so I would imagine that they wouldn't thrive, but given that "life finds a way" is prevalent in the plant kingdom, it wouldn't surprise me to see them mutate an offspring that likes temperate forest.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

From Basel no less.

They were able to track down a Basel resident who left behind a number of bags through identifying documents left in one of them. 

Perhaps a neighbour of the Captain's Festung Cynical?

All this talk of 'fly tipped' garbage with ones name on it reminds me of this (the unofficial anthem of Thanksgiving, at least on classic rock radio stations):

"Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that envelope under that garbage."

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

51 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

If the Welsh can survive in Wales they are probably resustant to the plant 8n question.

Their "rainforest" habitat can actually be quite dry at times, but apparently the area does get 1,600mm of rain annually so on par for much of Wales. Wetter than Cardiff apparently. The one that stung me was on the dry (inland side) of the plateau (~971mm of annual precipitation).

It's a very nasty plant.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 14

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I have seen a number of items on the Cunard cruise ships to keep Australian passengers happy at tea time but I haven’t seen fairy bread. Perhaps send some to the Queen Mary 2.

It would be interesting to see if they could cater an Aussie birthday party for the nippers:

• Fairy bread
  • Chocolate crackles
  • Caramelllo Koalas (or Freddo Frogs for the truly 'old school')

Apparently when I was very little and attending a birthday party of some sort, being introduced to chocolate crackles for the first time, I ate it, cupcake paper and all.

• Like 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Bread Pudding should never be confused with bread & butter pudding. 

Rick, what distinction would you make?

"Random" online recipes:

Bread Pudding:

6 slices day-old bread, torn into small pieces

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

½ cup raisins (Optional)

2 cups milk

¾ cup white sugar

4 large eggs, beaten

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

(Easy) Bread and butter pudding:

1/4 cup (55 grams) butter, at room temperature

10 slices soft white bread, cut diagonally

1/2 cup (55 grams) golden raisins, or sultanas

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1 1/2 cups (350 milliliters) milk

1/4 cup (50 milliliters) heavy cream

2 large eggs (free-range)

4 tablespoons white sugar, divided

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, grandadbob said:

There's a fair bit of rugby on the box over the weekend, not sure I'll be able to fit in all in. 

I’m off to watch Falcons play Bath tomorrow - which somehow expands to fill most of the day - and then on Sunday is the last day of the year volunteering at the NT so I will miss most of it.  A pity as there look to be some good games.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

@BoD I see George Merrick is on the bench Warren. Met him once as his cousin was Abbie’s boyfriend for a couple of years. He got me some free tickets for Quins  when he played for them. HIs first club was my old club Mitcham.  Enjoy the day!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

"Random" online recipes:

Bread Pudding:

6 slices day-old bread, torn into small pieces

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

½ cup raisins (Optional)

2 cups milk

¾ cup white sugar

4 large eggs, beaten

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

(Easy) Bread and butter pudding:

1/4 cup (55 grams) butter, at room temperature

10 slices soft white bread, cut diagonally

1/2 cup (55 grams) golden raisins, or sultanas

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1 1/2 cups (350 milliliters) milk

1/4 cup (50 milliliters) heavy cream

2 large eggs (free-range)

4 tablespoons white sugar, divided

A lot of the images on the internet seem to be mixing them up too. For me, bread pudding is a rather dense product, quite dark and made with old bread. A sort of organic Kevlar if it is anything like the version my mother made.

Bread and butter pudding is much lighter in texture and is even sometimes made with brioche. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t actually recall too many Australian children on cruises.

I wouldn't imagine so. While you see Australians everywhere, overseas, these are generally not children. Pre-pandemic, my cousin took her late-teenaged children on a Med cruise (their last big 'family' holiday with 'captive' children) but they were not little 'kiddies' at the time.

'Most' cruising chases the grey pound/dollar/Euro etc. There certainly are exceptions - like the Disney cruises in the Caribbean. They have their own "island" in the Bahamas. They advertise the presence of Disney characters to entertain children. Swap Captain Mickey and Goofy for Pirate Parrot Pete.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Bread Pudding. Made with old or stale but unbuttered bread. Usually sold / served as a bakery item on the cake counter. 

70D6609E-2DC3-46CF-85C5-D4142DBFDC9F.jpeg.d26a65a7ead6f6ddd3d7b66935410d47.jpeg

Bread & Butter Pudding. Made with a custard and using fresh and buttered bread. A dessert dish. 

D0B6D25C-8F77-4461-9FF7-292BE1F44A7E.jpeg.f276ffb028d35e4fb3861f57746f884f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I wouldn't imagine so. While you see Australians everywhere, overseas, these are generally not children. Pre-pandemic, my cousin took her late-teenaged children on a Med cruise (their last big 'family' holiday with 'captive' children) but they were not little 'kiddies' at the time.

'Most' cruising chases the grey pound/dollar/Euro etc. There certainly are exceptions - like the Disney cruises in the Caribbean. They have their own "island" in the Bahamas. They advertise the presence of Disney characters to entertain children. Swap Captain Mickey and Goofy for Pirate Parrot Pete.

My Cousin Matt worked on the Disney Aurora for a while back in the noughties

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

On the European cruises any onboard Australians were generally good sources of information about shipboard life. Some of them had been on board for multiple cruises. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, BoD said:

Remember "Second Life" about 15 years ago - wasnt it pretty much the same thing and look what happened to that!

It was basically an online land where you could create a  fantasy character and   walk around and meet people and so on in an imaginary environment.  It was pretty big at the time, .it was apparently going to replace actually going out and interacting, everyone would have a Second Life character and do everything there instead. I think it broke up marriages etc at the time as online characters met and "Had affairs", others visited virtual brothels and so on and their Real Life partner found out.  Given many people swapped their genders  online, so the Japanese geisha girl you thought you were sending love messages to was actually a Hairy Biker in Real Life  it was all a bit twisted when you think about it.

Our sales rep from Sun Microsystems who we bought our servers etc from tried to convince us to set up Second Life presences in order that we could have virtual meetings with them, since they were on it.

Although the thought of being a giant rabbit dressed in bondage gear meeting the  Sun sales team beside a giant chocolate waterfall or whatever was appealing, we never got around to it and I think World Of Warcraft came along and everyone became mages or trolls or whatever over there instead.

I recently checked out some youtube videos of people who have joined Second Life in order to wander around now just to see what is left of it, like those people who wander abandoned theme parks, business parks and so on. There were still a surprising number of survivors going about their online lives, seemed a bit post-apocalyptic, like they were  the few left after everyone else has died of a virus or something. 

But at the time similar stories to the one you posted popped up occasionally - I recall at least one story about a Second Life house selling for one million dollars of Real Life money. heres one about a lady who became a Real-Life millionaire selling real estate on Second Life.  I hope she cashed in before the bottom dropped out.

I wonder how those buyers feel now, though they are probably the same people who more recently spent heaps collecting imaginary animals in Pokemon.

Seems a lot cheaper to make an imaginary world on a 6 by 4 baseboard instead!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5