The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

You need to grasp the  vast emptiness of outback Australia... That stretch is pretty well smack bang in the middle of 2 police stations - which are 1500km apart. Not too many cops will go 700km to sit in the desert with a speed gun.

Go as fast as you like, but you'll probably hit a camel or a roo!

I thought Australia drove on the left, in the picture they are driving on the right.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, southern42 said:

When we had soft drinks in bottles, Tizer, for example, whether from a shop or the weekend delivery truck, there was a tariff added which you would claim back (6d.in old money per bottle, IIRC - cost of an ice-cream) on return of the empty bottles. Why not a similar system on recyclable batteries including suitable return points, a local store which sells them, for instance? Or is that too simple?

' morning all from red dragon land.

Sunny. Clear, if a bit hazy, blue sky, 11.2°C.

Indoors up a bit - 19.2°C - but I did have the oven on yesterday! <<For dinner not heating 😆>>

Late breakfast this morning as I was having my arm jabbed at 9.06, the third of three jabs. Warned I may feel unwell for a couple of days. <<Here we go again!>> Already had a quick toot on the flute before it sets in!  I shall mull over a bit of muddling and see how far I get...<<hmmmm?>>

In the meantime, I shall start thinking about the rest of my day <<oh, yeah?>> over a mugadecaf.

Take care, be good, be adventurous*...

*<<hmmmmmmm?>>

Polly

When we went to Croatia, the shops had 2 prices for bottled items the price if you just bought say a bottle of beer and a lower price if you returned the bottles.

We had the Corona pop man come when we were little. That was glass bottled with a deposit on them.

We did used to "borrow" bottles from the back of the local off licence and take them back in for the deposit back off the bottle we were going to buy

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Hroth said:

It looks a fairly uncomfortable bum-prop. The angles a tad steep and its too close to the wall!  Our local bus stop bum-props are at two heights, but still suffer from an uncomfortable rake and closeness to the back of the bus shelter.  They've obviously been designed by a young stick insect....

I think many of the uncomfortable seating designs are to prevent homeless people having a lie down on them. Spikes and arm rests breaking a bench into individual seat widths also appear more often. 

• Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, 40F said:

I thought Australia drove on the left, in the picture they are driving on the right.

I think the image with cars on the right is the JSB contribution from the US. I can’t see any vehicles on the Australian road to Perth image. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

When we went to Croatia, the shops had 2 prices for bottled items the price if you just bought say a bottle of beer and a lower price if you returned the bottles.

Wouldn't it be the other way round?  Otherwise everyone would buy the cheapies whether or not they intended to return the empties.

ISTR when Bear was a wee Cub the deposit on an empty was 10p; I suspect that if similar schemes were (re)introduced now then the deposit would have to be fairly noticeable otherwise many will just be too lazy to bother returning them.

12 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

We did used to "borrow" bottles from the back of the local off licence and take them back in for the deposit back off the bottle we were going to buy

That was a National Pastime when Bear was a Cub; sadly the local "Offy" got wise very, very quickly and soon put paid to that one.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

That was what finished Bismark, a torpedo hit near the rudders and at least one of them jamming. 

... and I was named after the pilot who fired it.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

and I was named after the pilot who fired it.

I don’t believe my Dad hung around to find out the name of the German machine gunner who shot up the rear steering on his scout car. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Landrover not ready, collect Monday afternoon..

This means a rescheduling of the weekend and Monday.

So now,

Tomorrow, big Shopping Expedition Norwich, ah just thought !! What roads are open?

Sunday Sailing, had email from friend who works at a sailmakers, had a good offer on price, £100 cheaper than elsewhere... Must email him back.

Monday jabs Mk 4, then to collect Landrover 

Many WW1 tanks were distributed to councils after that war. Sadly most then didn't look after them, most were scrapped at the start of WW2, as we needed the steel..

A few were put to strange purposes.

One I remember reading about, was used to hide an electricity substation inside. That would make elves and safe tee have kittens today.

• Like 8
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BoD said:

As all the top chefs keep telling us, it's just a matter of presentation ...

beans.jpg.c5f9d8f753b4319ef3f95b3d4b822f49.jpg

Thirty quid to you, Sir.....

Chips are extra.

Reminds me of a Hotel Bear stayed at in Gosport - as recommended by one of the Cal. & Maint. Boys.  There weren't many Restaurants around so I decided to scoff din dins in the Hotel (which I very rarely do).  I don't recall the meal but I do recall the chips.....

There were three laid on the plate, laid parallel to each other and perhaps spaced 1cm apart; the second layer was the same again, but at 90 degrees to the first, and the top layer was the same again but at 90 degrees to the second layer.  And that was it - 9 lousy chips.  Bear could've cried.  They didn't get a tip.

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t believe my Dad hung around to find out the name of the German machine gunner who shot up the rear steering on his scout car. 

I'd hazard a guess that he had a name for him....

In other news.....

The second (and final) coat of paint is now stuck to the first coat - and all without incident.  Big Tick.  Bear's Buddy from over-the-road is coming over at 9am to assist with the installation of the new hinge-down loft hatch.

The trial bottle of "friendly" paint stripper was delivered this afternoon, so I'll probably give that a test on the stair stringers tomorrow as well.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I don’t understand the mentality of some of these vegans. If they wish to eschew meat and dairy, why the need to have dairy and meat substitutes? (most of which are heavily processed, incredibly synthetic and frequently extremely environmentally UNfriendly).

Flavio, for the most part, the people I know who choose not to eat animal products (aka vegans) are quite willing to manage with natural foods like rice/beans/vegetables, etc.

They don't seem to be the primary customers for plant-based animal product substitutes being offered by food processors. From what I can tell, the plant-based marketing is mostly directed at encouraging people who eat animal products to eat less of them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Landrover not ready, collect Monday afternoon..

This means a rescheduling of the weekend and Monday.

So now,

Tomorrow, big Shopping Expedition Norwich, ah just thought !! What roads are open?

Sunday Sailing, had email from friend who works at a sailmakers, had a good offer on price, £100 cheaper than elsewhere... Must email him back.

Monday jabs Mk 4, then to collect Landrover 

Many WW1 tanks were distributed to councils after that war. Sadly most then didn't look after them, most were scrapped at the start of WW2, as we needed the steel..

A few were put to strange purposes.

One I remember reading about, was used to hide an electricity substation inside. That would make elves and safe tee have kittens today.

Just back from my day out, takeaway pizza and a botyle of Kriek consumed.  A good day has been had.

As to the WW1 tanks.  IIRC there were over 100 given outvas war memorials, mostly mk4 and mk 5's.  The army used to unliad them at the nearest railway station then drive them to their display area, not always without causing damage.  Then they smashed the working parts of the guns and engine with sledgehammers and caught the train back to barracks.  By the 30's most were in a sorry state and most were seen as reninders of war by the active peace movement and werecthus sold for scrap before WW2.  I think that very few survived.  Believe it or not several survived in the USSR as war memorials having been left behind in 1921.  I think that there is a project run from Lincoln to catalogue the fates of all of them.  The first tanks were built by Fosters at Lincoln.  I think thevproject is called something like The Lincoln Tank.

One was sent to Lancaster and I want to have a diorama of the tank being unloaded at the horse dock on Green Ayre.  It was displayed in front of the Castle.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3