The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

14 hours ago, pH said:

I’m sorry - perhaps you misunderstand the purpose of a university education 😏. It is not to acquire knowledge, it is to acquire a piece of paper which will open the door to untold riches.

Thank you, pH, for admonishing me for my incorrect thinking.

God forbid little Tarquin or Jocasta should lower themselves to doing anything so base as acquiring knowledge, skills, expertise and starting a career - it’s almost as bad as going into “trade” 😮

That would never do!

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 4

Some interesting posts about the naming of military vehicles. From the lists provided one could almost believe that the MoD has a sense of humour and was - as they say - “extracting the urine”.

All that got me thinking, what would be suitable names for military vehicles which would reflect today’s society? I came up with the following few:

The AEC Snowflake - Thin skinned, breaks down under anything other than perfect conditions.

The Humber Eco-Warrior - glues itself to the enemy.

The Austin Politician - impossible to pin down but suffers from frequent U-turns.

The Morris “Influencer” - tries to convince the enemy that it is a bigger and more important threat than it actually is.

I shall leave it to your imaginations as to deciding what sort of military vehicle each of the above would be (I’d also like to hear your suggestions for military vehicle names)

Edited by iL Dottore
Rewording
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

A "highlight" when driving East-coast to Perth is "90 mile straight". 

image.png.eae9c589cc6561dfb66ca46fd9865698.png

I wonder how many drivers fall asleep. A lot of US roads are straight for long stretches and I don't care for them. IIRC the Motorways in the UK are required to only run straight for a limited distance.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Busy day coming up. Shopping at moreasons, bag to be packed then off to Canley for what may be less than a fun filled day. Pah!

In between all that I need to try and get my haircut, prepare for the Conference over the weekend and myriads of other, hard to sort out, bits of work. PAH!

Yes , the HE round (High Explosive Squash Head or HEsh) is a very effective round out to about 10km. Army have chosen to us the German Black Bess equivalent which can fir a less effective HEAT round.. such is progress..

Time to get a shift on.. touch to do to drivel on!

Enjoy your day.Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

The long and winding road.....having transport is essential to really get the flavour of the place.  It's not all TT races!

20220519_141434.jpg.235ca4d06bbfbe9d92b621e78b230999.jpg

PS - guide available for visitors - runs on bacon butties and coffee.

That’s my sort of road.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

…Finally for today, I wonder if Flavio may want to try one of these next time he’s in the country? (And I don’t mean the chicken one!)

0134C89B-46FA-413C-9E2D-497E994AED69.jpeg.205b730e879ac3ece10b23306eb263aa.jpeg

Goodnight,

Robert

Thank you for the kind invitation, but I have never - to the best of my recollection - ever eaten anything from Greggs.

In extremis, were I to be starving and every other source of nourishment unavailable, then I would certainly eat baked beans (especially if “improved” by the liberal addition of smoked paprika and various assorted hot sauces). But “CheeZe”? I’d rather live off my fat reserves thank you (which, TBH, would keep me going for a bit).

I don’t understand the mentality of some of these vegans. If they wish to eschew meat and dairy, why the need to have dairy and meat substitutes? (most of which are heavily processed, incredibly synthetic and frequently extremely environmentally UNfriendly).

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

I was going to send something back but I gave up as I my pen ran out of ink while waiting the return label.. Craftly, very crafty these………

I was wondering if someone dropped something accidentally on the keyboard .68B16D1A-EA66-4F98-AF29-8BD63DC9B6C6.jpeg.751d5d372b6ee84ab746f734d75ee1c5.jpeg

Bear has left suitable VERY negative feedback (complete with associated 1-star ratings) for the seller who, er, wasn't.  In response to my message asking how come they'd marked the item as despatched and provided a tracking number they responded with:

The shipping number shows in the order information may confuse you, which was matched by the system automatically after your purchasing.

Huh?  Ar5ebadger.

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

A "highlight" when driving East-coast to Perth is "90 mile straight". 

image.png.eae9c589cc6561dfb66ca46fd9865698.png

A speed cop's paradise......

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I havent caught a train in ages (4 years!)  until today so maybe I'm out of touch but are these " leaning rail" ar5e-resting  things instead  of platform seats a thing everywhere now or just something thought up by the evil geniuses of NSW Cityrail?

PXL_20221027_205216217.jpg.19c8a36abe757cb7a04bc3b463e867af.jpg

It's a F@rt Flap - designed to push the users' cheeks together to minimise the risk of follow-thru'.

Bear here......

Who definitely has an appointment with a paint roller today; at least the ceilings in question are very small and I have a paint roller extension pole; they're not my favourite weapon of choice - but working off a ladder over the stairwell comes a very poor second.....

Bear gone.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not too much trouble from Arthur Itis this morning, just the odd stiff and aching joints that eased up as soon as I started moving around. Not a lot to do today, just dropping off a few items for the club sales stand at tomorrow's show and a bit of shopping. Time to get breakfast on the go, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Once again we’ve had some overnight rain, which has thankfully stopped falling. I will shortly be heading off to the butchers for the weekly meat rations and a pork pie for my dinner. Then Sheila and I will collect Ava, who once again is spending the day with us. We will then head to the Trafford Centre where we will spend the rest of the morning. Ava wants to buy some books, so we’ll probably spend a while in Waterstones first. After that we’ll head off for a drink and a slice before tackling the rest of the shopping. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

54 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear has left suitable VERY negative feedback (complete with associated 1-star ratings) for the seller who, er, wasn't.  In response to my message asking how come they'd marked the item as despatched and provided a tracking number they responded with:

The shipping number shows in the order information may confuse you, which was matched by the system automatically after your purchasing.

Huh?  Ar5ebadger.

A speed cop's paradise......

It's a F@rt Flap - designed to push the users' cheeks together to minimise the risk of follow-thru'.

Bear here......

Who definitely has an appointment with a paint roller today; at least the ceilings in question are very small and I have a paint roller extension pole; they're not my favourite weapon of choice - but working off a ladder over the stairwell comes a very poor second.....

Bear gone.

Tin hat time then PB.

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Talking of armoured vehicles its remarkable that the Americans had no small armoured vehicles such as the bren gun carrier or the Dingo. Apart from a few that never got beyond the prototype stage the smallest American armoured vehicle was the M3 scout car. The M3 was too big and conspicuous to serve as a forward OP, a job where a bren carrier or Dingo was ideal. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

On stealthiness I find it amusing that submarines, which relied on stealth decades before anyone had ever heard of stealth, are growing to ridiculous sizes now. The missile boats and some of the Russian boats are pretty much as big as battleships. They'll end up getting to a point where it doesn't matter how quiet they are because they'll be so big nobody will miss them...... (exaggeration, but still.......).

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4