The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

13 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

Something which will hopefully meet with the approval and amusement of most people here:

https://www.joe.co.uk/news/climate-activists-volkswagen-dealership-364190

I dunno, things are so hard for protesters these days 😄

Just a shame they didn't have a couple of hungry guard dogs to keep them company 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

Following political news makes you more bad-tempered. Discuss... 

If only for the sake of Andy's blood pressure, I hasten to add that was a rhetorical question and a parody of the A-Level essay questions we used to be set rather than a serious invitation. But it does feel like the lunatics are trying to take over the asylum. One consequence I have noticed if I spend too long reading the news is I become more acerbic. I do sometimes wonder if I might have become a cartoonist, though that would have been difficult given my complete lack of drawing skills. (As a certain teacher once noted on a report card, "He has all the enthusiasm, interest and commitment necessary to be an outstanding player of [this sport] except for his unfortunate total lack of ability to play well"). I can enjoy captioning other people's work though... 

QQ.jpg.5cc35c0e376e7a4ab3be8a67100c7fd4.jpg

RN.jpg.dbc5082e9aca0b3ae0949b45e8f7f72f.jpg

378371645_BankingPunishment.jpg.1a8c5dbb442f865ba0f74cfdaabc81cd.jpg

And for anyone who has been offended, please complete the attached form below and submit with a SAE to my circular filing cabinet. 

201653352_Hurtfeelings.jpg.92985e2c63a07af57c2f2cfb38dc6cd5.jpg

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all and welcome to a damp Autumnal weekend. There has been a good deal of rain and we have a yellow warning of more about to arrive. 

We took ourselves out, at Dr. SWMBO’s request, aiming to amble through the trees and around the pond in Barnes before finding a coffee. 

As it turned out the world and every cockwomble in it was on the roads. The 10-15 minute trip as far as Richmond took 40 minutes; after another 30 we were stationary in East Sheen when Dr. S. decided we should park there and look around. We had both become bored with stop-start driving in (mostly) first gear trying to avoid the crazy antics of law-disregarding cyclists / motorcyclists and the lane-butting and general pushing-in of other motorists. One van pulled from a side turning so close in front of us that an emergency stop was required. Being unable to complete hus required right turn he then blocked our path for several minutes until he could push in to the opposite lane. 

The return trip was as bad. Traffic was, if anything, even slower. One cyclist overtook us and cut sharply in front again requiring an emergency stop before she then undertook the car ahead to be first in line at the lights. At those lights the left lane is marked “left turn only” and has a filter light. The filter went green; cyclist didn’t move. I pipped the horn and she still didn’t move. My light then turned back to red, that for going ahead turned green and off she went - straight ahead from the left-only lane and almost collected by the car correctly using the ahead-only lane. Meanwhile I sat frustrated by another red light phase whilst being tooted from behind for not moving on a green. 

As a professional driver and as a cyclist I despair at such things. A total absence of road-craft and consideration for one thing. Lane markings are usually only advisory but when marked “Left turn only” then you may not go straight ahead. Neither may you impede other road users unreasonably. 

In our brief stroll around Sheen we did at least find a good coffee and cake shop. No LDC but the local Italian community there seems to vie for biggest and best of what they can offer. Carrot cake for me; iced chai latté cake for her.

It’s an area I travel through most days but have only once before actually set foot in. Not too bad, actually, but the traffic is apalling.  

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Bolton Abbey is one of Yorkshire's tourist honeypots. 

I agree, it's a beautiful place.  Even though it gets busy it can be peaceful too especially if, as you say, you head to some of the quieter footpaths or the church itself.

It is also the final resting place of ...

1464912932_FreddieTrueman.jpg.af2bd9a374d8fa00bf970f8f715dfb8f.jpg

White roses - how very appropriate.  

• Like 11
  • Agree 8

We have had a busy day doing electrical work in the garage. We have put on an unswitched socket for the power to the new door. Trunking has been fitted too. We have a socket to replace that is on order for delivery tomorrow. We would have got everything done today but we had to keep the power on for the Boss to use the washing machine 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

I know we only usually skirt round the edges of politics in here, but ladies and gentlemen I have the answer to all out problems.... Ringo for PM...!

2089303884_RingoPMDOWNINGST.jpg.bcd6d971e91022d8b0856a6607a4141b.jpg

Sorted!

With that cigar in his mouth, he kind of reminds me of another movie star; Lassie, taking .................................................

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Very little fuss from Arthur Itis this afternoon but the wet stuff is predicted for tonight and tomorrow so that might activate him. I did a bit of cleaning up in the garden this afternoon, just dumping  the ivy I removed from the fence a few days ago in the green bin. Now to nip down to Tess Coes for a few bits.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Very busy day today at our show. Now for a bit of R & R.

Everyone may think BAe took over GEC.. from my experience at Barrrrooow.. it may have been the other way round as the bean counters are heavily in charge now... which is a very GEC thing...

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

It finally rained - not a lot, but enough to constitute a rainy day - perhaps 12 - 15mm. It's the first time we've had this amount of rain since June.

Showers were forecast for today, but so far it has been dry and the sun was shining a few minutes ago, though it is cloudy now.

The forecast is seasonal with rain forecast many days through the week. The change to seasonal weather is a bit of a shock temperature-wise. The average daily temperature (high/low) for the last week was 16°C. Yesterday it was 8°C and will stay in that range.

The house had been closed up all week due to bad air and was consistently around 23°C. Since yesterday it's gradually cooling. I might be considering the fireplace before too long.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

... deep ford over the River Sence, the site where satnavs have led unwary people to take their cars for a paddle ...

I can’t see a depth gauge. How deep is it?

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

40 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I can’t see a depth gauge. How deep is it?

At the moment, after last night's rain, several feet. Normally 2 feet or so. Drivable with a tractor then, but certainly not a Corsa which was driven by the last young lady to try it.

Under the bridge a hundred yards away it was registering six feet above normal this morning.

Edited by Coombe Barton
Extra information
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

9Just ordered a Chinese. The rather fetching young lady behind the counter wearing sprayed on shorts made me forget what to order

It wasn’t a portion of #69, was it? 🤣

• Funny 9