The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A friend of mine had occasional serious episodes of vertigo - very like the symptoms you describe.

The only situation in which I get vertigo is lying flat on my back, under a sink, and looking up as I work on the plumbing. 

(Apart from the “whirling pits”, of course, and it’s a long time since those were provoked!)

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, pH said:

Please! Please! Please! We desperately need a “GROAN” button!

I thought you would be more Hardy but if you are suffering you could always dial 111.  

Edited by BoD
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

5 minutes ago, PupCam said:

If I recall it's something to do with little crystals / lumps floating around in the fluid in the tubes in the ear triggering the little hairs that sense motion

I don't know if it is this in this case but the exercises for head movement mentioned previously are designed to park the crystals / lumps or whatever at the ends of the tubes out of the way of the active bits. 

That's very like to the explanations my friend gave me.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In aviation (and definitely not political) news (because we would never, ever do that) apparently the Boeing 757 nicknamed "Trump Force One" is airworthy again, and in West Palm Beach.

CNN: Donald Trump’s Boeing 757 rehabbed and back in West Palm Beach

Hmmm.  I wonder if that means Boris is going to get his bike out again too? 🤔  

That might be leading to a road down which we are not allowed .....  😂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

3 minutes ago, PupCam said:

No, not General Electric (but I can see where you are coming from 😀) but the conglomeration of all of Britain's once proud aviation industry  into what was British Aerospace.   Without going into too much detail, both the Bear and I started in Hatfield which started off life as the wonderful de Havilland.    de Havilland had long since ceased to be by the time we turned up but I have to say I'm quite proud of my, admittedly rather tenuous, connection to that illustrious Company.

Alan

Ah!, now I understand.
I have read quite a bit  about the British aerospace industry in particular  TSR2 in relation to the amalgamation of various separate companies. I have recently read ‘Project Cancelled’ (Derek Wood) and  ‘Empire of the Clouds’ ( James Hamilton-Paterson). Both interesting if frustrating books.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The nearest I've been to having vertigo was after a few pints of Green King Christmas Ale, the effect only lasted a couple of hours though. Arthur Itis woke up again this evening but a couple of pills stopped him and sent him back to sleep again.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 9

45 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Whereas all  the open cut coal mines ... are  Beautiful

That's a tremendously beautiful coal mine, so beautiful, and we love coal mines, don't we folks, so many jobs! Those wind farms, whir, whir, whir, they cause cancer and all the dead birds, beautiful dead birds everywhere, so sad; and the toilets, why don't they flush anymore? You have to push the handle five, ten, twenty times ...

OK I need to go sit on the naughty step now.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Sent her the Groan button the reply

It's going to get Depressed 😭

You definitely  need this and pleasecforwsrdcit to the LadybofvthecAwl with my regards.

image.png.7df6ab5cf50ec8b1bc20128b1e3d45f3.png.e8a04f4c9761d69f5213b18885013a2b.png

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Ah!, now I understand.
I have read quite a bit  about the British aerospace industry in particular  TSR2 in relation to the amalgamation of various separate companies. I have recently read ‘Project Cancelled’ (Derek Wood) and  ‘Empire of the Clouds’ ( James Hamilton-Paterson). Both interesting if frustrating books.

In many ways the British aircraft industry mimicked the railways and in the 20th century did what the British railway companies did in the 19th and early 20th centuries.   

Hundreds of small companies gradually coalesced into fewer and fewer large companies.  In the end there were basically just two left; Hawker Siddeley and the Britsh Aircraft Corporation.  In the 60's the famous  Handley Page tried to resist and go it alone but the Government effectively said it was only going to deal with two "big ones" and so, as many of Handley Pages contracts were military and their main customer had said "you'll not be getting any more contracts from us" they finally succumbed and disappeared off the face of the earth (1971 IIRC).  Those two (plus a few stragglers) were then nationalised in 1977 to form British Aerospace and then privatised a few years later.      After British Aerospace it just  gets far too complicated to even imagine so we'll stop there!

If Hawker Siddeley had painted all their aircraft Apple Green and BAC had painted all theirs Crimson Lake the comparison would have been even greater - but you can see the parallels!   

I wouldn't mind betting (and I'm not a betting man and also, as you are aware I know nothing on this topic!) there were probably hundreds of British pharmaceutical companies originally and over the years they gradually coalesced into fewer and fewer bigger companies .....   I'm not certain about the nationalisation and privatisation bits and what colours they chose to paint their drugs though 🤣

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

I read all over RMWeb about people doing model projects that the skills they need have been provided for as part of their employment. A great deal  of what I learned at University wasn’t relevant to my career and most of what I learned since is of no use in retirement.  living out of my job  and should learn the skills I feel I’m lacking. So little time and so much to learn and so much time wasted on here!

Ditto

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4