The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

30 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oh, @Barry O Baz, I have settled on using the sides of the finger sort of in line with the beginning of the nail for the lancet.  It appears I have soft, thin flesh there that needs little needle penetration to get a sample, not too many nerve endings there either!  Trying the pad of the finger never worked well for me either.

I can get blood out of anyone, any place, any time (only twice in countless samplings was I defeated - one was a 3 week old infant [very fragile and fine veins - had to get a peadiatric colleague to do that one] and a fat lady - who was so fat that her upper arm was bigger around than Arnold S's upper thigh [had to send her to ER for a cut-down]).

Of course, though one shouldn't really, the physician's choice of sampling site is very much influenced by patient attitude. It's amazing how the promise of a femoral stick subdues the most truculent....

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Persisting down this morning and Arthur Itis has been doing his rain dance in hobnail boots. A brace of Nurofen sent him on his way. I came upon this item this morning.   https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/10/19/1129965424/how-black-death-survivors-gave-their-descendants-an-edge-during-pandemics

Interesting to know that most of us still have resistance to the black death, though there is a payback.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I can get blood out of anyone, any place, any time (only twice in countless samplings was I defeated - one was a 3 week old infant [very fragile and fine veins - had to get a peadiatric colleague to do that one] and a fat lady - who was so fat that her upper arm was bigger around than Arnold S's upper thigh [had to send her to ER for a cut-down]).

Of course, though one shouldn't really, the physician's choice of sampling site is very much influenced by patient attitude. It's amazing how the promise of a femoral stick subdues the most truculent....

Not a physician so our remit had to be arm with needles.  With lancets the fingers to definitely avoid as you know either from experience or 'common sense' were/are index fingers.  As a needle phobe adding this response to the blog has has surprising effects.

• Friendly/supportive 13

Good morning 

Dull and drizzly this morning although we have missed the thunderstorms so far. They have passed over the dales.

Like @jamie92208 I wonder what the public sector pension increase would be.

I think to save money they should cut MP salary and benefits before anyone else's.

"We are all in in together" allegedly 

Mnemonics I had one for the Geological periods I can't repeat it here as it would break all kinds of rules.

Likewise the one for trigonometry  Sex On Holiday is the only part I can quote 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

With lancets the fingers to definitely avoid as you know either from experience or 'common sense' were/are index fingers.  As a needle phobe adding this response to the blog has has surprising effects.

Since I'm taking multiple blood readings on a typical day, I rotate across all of my fingers (e.g. right side of right index a.m., right side of next finger p.m. and so on across 4 days, then repeat on left sides. Never heard of not taking from index fingers. And sometimes it's like getting blood from a stone, other times it flows easily. Sometimes it hurts, mostly it doesn't. As a Type 1 I'm glad I'm not a needle phobe.

Edited by zarniwhoop
I said inside/outside, right/left is more accurate
  • Friendly/supportive 18

I have just finished reading The Second Messiah, they have put forward an interesting theory to the creation of The Turin Shroud that the image is that of Jacques de Molay the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar. Overall it was a thought provoking read now I am starting another Jack Reacher novel  

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Mnemonics I had one for the Geological periods I can't repeat

But we all remember Moh’s hardness scale don’t we?

Tall 

Girls

Can

Flirt

And

Other

Qu€€r

Things

Can

Do

From 1 to 10 Talc, Gypsum, Calcite, Fluorite, Apatite, Orthoclase, Quartz, Topaz, Corundum, Diamond. 

Our geo-poetry section at uni also included such delights as 

Eulite up my heart

And make my apatite grow

So I’m Cumm1ngtonite

Humite like to know. 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Really? 🤦‍♂️

Oven chips?

Synthetically flavoured cake?

Frozen Yorkshire Puddings?

Microwave Lasagna? etc.

Well, if you say so..... 🤣

Too easy......🤣

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Persisting down this morning and Arthur Itis has been doing his rain dance in hobnail boots. A brace of Nurofen sent him on his way. I came upon this item this morning.   https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/10/19/1129965424/how-black-death-survivors-gave-their-descendants-an-edge-during-pandemics

Interesting to know that most of us still have resistance to the black death, though there is a payback.

It explains why there are so many mutant zombies walking around.....

2 hours ago, BoD said:

Good morning all.

It is raining here too, and forecast to last all day.  There is a met office warning out for ‘thunderstorms nearby’.  A pity that they are only nearby - I love a good thunderstorm.

Yesterday I had my covid booster.  Today I woke up, stood up and nearly fell over.  My balance seems to have gone all to pot.  I am having to hold things to move about and am only really comfortable keeping my head perfectly still otherwise everything seems to spin.  It looks like a day lying down or sitting reading may be in store. Not an unpleasant thought after a few hectic days.

I have read the leaflet that was given to me with the covid booster and this  is not listed as a side effect, not even an extremely rare one.  I hope I have just picked up some sort of ear infection.  I will give it 24 hrs and see what happens.

Have a good day peoples.

Moderna Bivalent?  Bear had the same - disappeared after a day or so.

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all,

It has just started raining again. I can still see Kent but east and west are murky. I didn’t hear any thunder last night, probably because I was asleep. Our weather forecast suggests any thunderstorms will be slightly west of us. 
I was barely awake this morning when Aditi asked me to explain amps, volts and their relationship with kWh. This is due to her recent interest in our electricity bills. She thinks she must have missed that topic at school. Her family moved a lot so she went  to quite a few schools in the first year of her secondary education. She was so good at English and foreign languages she was put straight into the second year of the final school she attended. Hence a number of gaps in her education. Biology was the only science she took at O level. In fact it was the only science any pupil in that school took. Her sister did physics and chemistry too but she had to go to another nearby school for those lessons. 
Tony

Volts?  Big ones hurt.

Amps?  Big ones are good for welding

KWh?  The bigger they are, the more they cost.

Easy.

3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Mnemonics I had one for the Geological periods I can't repeat it here as it would break all kinds of rules.

Likewise the one for trigonometry  Sex On Holiday is the only part I can quote 

Bear knows the one for resistor colour codes.  Very non-pc now.

In other news.....

The Boss of The Big House has just resigned.  Here we go again.

FFS

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

A morning of chassis jig mods. planning - a bit more to do.

Progress was interrupted by a Pizza din dins - why do Pizza's disappear faster than you'd like? ☹️

I've also had a refund for the returned loft ladder - which is handy cos' it's a Deltic plus a couple of spare engines.

In other news.....

MISSING

Concern is growing for Harry the Hedgehog, who has unexpectedly gone missing without leaving a note or forwarding address; he's not been home for two din dins now, which is very out of character.

Notable Features:  Walks kinda slowly, with a spiky haircut.

All information on his whereabouts to Bear Towers.

• Friendly/supportive 17

Rain not stopped it has become heavier. There is a lot of surface water about. It is flooded under the railway bridge at Ferrybridge but passable in Vikingar the Volvo - slowly and cadence braking on the other side of the water to dry the brakes.

Like @woodenhead I was wondering about those undersea cables.

Oh well the Westminster pantomime starts again. How depressingly boring all the hot air coming out of the Commons chamber from both sides should be captured and used to heat London

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All!

Nice weather for the time of year.  Oh, no it's not is it.

Puppers Gone!

Edited by PupCam
Original subject a bit touchy!
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10