The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Perhaps the law should be changed so that whenever a pedestrian NOT on a pedestrian crossing walks out in front of a car and is injured or killed, the driver would be rewarded for “aiding and abetting Darwinian selection

Quite frankly I can’t see any downside: either pedestrians stop walking in front of cars or the species looses a number of its more (ahem) “disposable” members. 🤣

Any way you look at it it’s a win-win solution.

… and give the mobile phone they were using at the time to a charity.

Win-win-win.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It was a number chosen at random.

But with the average UK salary being about £31000 (https://standout-cv.com/pages/average-uk-salary) this equates to about £16 an hour, so £100 an hour would be good going. One source I quickly reviewed, gave an hourly IT consultant rate of between £50 and £105. Another source gave a top executive consultant rate at about £400,000 a year – which equates to about £210 an hour.

According to the source for the executive consultant rate, (a) hourly fees are highly confidential (and are kept so by the contracts made) and (b) they can charge whatever they can get away with…

Nice work if you can get it.

It seems that getting the sack was rather a good move for a certain Bojo after all.....

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/boris-johnson-earns-315000-30-25249272

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

To be blunt (and unpopular) I think vaccinations - of all kinds - should be mandatory unless contraindicated by a valid and verifiable medical reason (e.g. impaired immune system). Failure to comply would be met by heavy fines and/or jail time. The overall health of the nation is more important than the individual. National health is the one area that is more important than individual “rights”

And anyone who requires treatment on the NHS cos' they were too f.stupid to have a vaccination gets the bill - the whole bill.....

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, polybear said:

Today was a slice of Quiche - 160C for 15m (plus 3m pre-heating) in a 1700W oven volume of 5.5L; doing it in the Miele 3500W fan oven would've been 180C

I believe some care needs to be taken with the comparison. The big oven may not have continually used 3.5kW for the 25minutes. On our Miele, the fan oven is a 2.1kw element with a thermostat.  The other elements aren’t used in that setting, apart from the grill for a short time to rapid heat the oven. The air fryer probably did have its 1.7kW heater on continuously. It probably was a bit cheaper but not as much as one may think. 
Tony. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

Happy Anniversary to @simontaylor484 and the Mrs.

BIN day, very full BINs for no accountable reason! All sorted and the BIN vans seem to be running in silent mode today, hardly heard them.

Today will be busy!

Somehow, I have to punctuate work with an 11Am visit to discuss more water mitigation between us and the neighbors, probably a French drain.

Later, afternoon visit/meeting with our lawn/shrub maintenance guy to discuss tree/shrub trimming at the rental place.

THEN!! Whitney returns around 4pm as both Jemma and Brendan are off on trips.

Finally, I'll head to the pre-rehearsal happy hour for a cider and pizza followed by choir rehearsal. <phew>.

Bit nippy first thing, 3C, breezy and overcast, chance of showers later and a high pushing..... 8C WOW! 

Later.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I believe some care needs to be taken with the comparison. The big oven may not have continually used 3.5kW for the 25minutes. On our Miele, the fan oven is a 2.1kw element with a thermostat.  The other elements aren’t used in that setting, apart from the grill for a short time to rapid heat the oven. The air fryer probably did have its 1.7kW heater on continuously. It probably was a bit cheaper but not as much as one may think. 
Tony. 

Bear would love to do a test, reading the IHD before n' after to see what the oven costs vs. the AF costs to cook the same thing.  Only problem is they haven't sent Bear an IHD cos' they say it'll not work with the smart meters.....

Ar5ebadgers.

Yep, that's a Rant.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Happy anniversary Simon and Missus.

Afternoon All

Much skippng due to laptop being used for more "serious" matters - generic greetings are on offer.

Plumber came last week, plumber rendered bill last night - bill paid at bank this morning, as I refuse to do online banking or use the app!!!  Bank is, of course, now in Leominster, as Ludlow is closed!

Not a lot more to report.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, 45156 said:

I refuse to do online banking or use the app!!!

I try very very hard to only use online banking. The only problem we had is that our bank was a bit slow in setting up a method to pay in cheques at home. Anyway it now seems to work for those people who insist on still using cheques to pay us. As the treasurer of the French group Aditi is in won’t contemplate online banking they have to use PayPal for transactions. Aditi has pointed out that anyone who has received a cheque from the society will know the sort code and account number and can pay into the account if they wish to. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear would love to do a test, reading the IHD before n' after to see what the oven costs vs. the AF costs to cook the same thing.  Only problem is they haven't sent Bear an IHD cos' they say it'll not work with the smart meters.....

Ar5ebadgers.

Yep, that's a Rant.

Can't you just read the meter itself?

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Nipped down to Tess Coes for a few essentials and I noticed that the price of petrol has gone up 1p per litre. Not surprised the way the £ is going.

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Din dins scoffed - with 'arry the air fryer being used for the sixth time.  Today was a slice of Quiche - 160C for 15m (plus 3m pre-heating) in a 1700W oven volume of 5.5L; doing it in the Miele 3500W fan oven would've been 180C for 20-25m - plus pre heating the 71L volume.

Opinion of AF so far?  Everything cooked has been as good as/better than if it'd been cooked in the fan oven, only quicker and cheaper.  Seems like a result to this Bear.

Any downsides?  Well I discovered yesterday that fitting a full-size pizza into an AF doesn't work......

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Tony. 

Most air fryers are fitted with a thermostat like a fan oven. I use my conventional oven so little nowadays that its not possible to compare. But compared to the microwave it uses about the same amount of power. Speaking of air fryers the liners arrived the other day, to all intents and purposes they look like paper plates. For people like myself and @polybear who live alone the air fryer is very useful if you use it as a compact fan oven.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Barry O said:

@BoD I was hoping to get to the show in monkey hanger land but I may have to go to Seaton Sluice on a cricket mission tomorrow.  Enjoy the show and send my best regards to @Two_sugars if you see him.

That’s a pity Baz.  As you know Paul usually puts a darn good show on.

Strangely enough, even though we have certainly attended the same shows, I have never actually met John.  So, @Two_sugars if you are reading this, wear a  Pom-Pom hat and stick a red carnation in it and I will say hello.

• Like 13
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1