The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

15 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Yeah, right.

I'm quaking in my boots

CC

Im about to doubt your  PS4 zombie killing skills if you've never wielded  the giant stuffed donkey in Dead Rising 2!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 14

15 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I was thinking the local wildlife sounded interesting. Whenever we go anywhere the wildlife seems to be hiding. Aditi has still not seen a moose. However I expect Singapore isn’t the best place for moose spotting .

My nephew is in California and has been to Yosemite for a few days and managed to see some chipmunks and squirrels. He has also seen some big trees. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love to see the wildlife, but not snakes!

Went to Florida a long time ago and was impressed by the wildlife while others were impressed by Disney Land etc.

I did however really, really enjoy two days at Cape Cabaveral.

Better get a move on!

• Like 16

1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

Oooh, goooodie

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!

Quite frankly, I can't be ars3d.

I have better things to do than indulge in playing with stuffed toys.

Captain Cynical

p.s. I want to make it ABUNDANTLY clear that @iL Dottore is not involved in this petty squabble between CC and the "Acolytes of Donk". He is totally blameless. Captain Cynical.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

... Flu and covid jabs this afternoon oh deep joy I hate needles. I was subjected to an allergy test when I was 3 some sadist stuck a load of needles in my leg to see what I would react to.

Does anyone need to be a doctor to know that the answer is highly likely to be 'some sadist sticking needles in my leg'? Now I bet if they tried that on Donk, the survivors just might come up with a better, less invasive procedure. Perhaps you could send him an invite for a little holiday on the mainland? 

4 minutes ago, Kelly said:

.... next job is to drag the scooter out of my old car (which might be interesting as the battery has gone totally flat and the central locking not working means the boot won't open!) and test them after a full charge....

I had a similar access problem recently - I found a manual override option mentioned in the handbook and after some crawling about, managed to get it open that way. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Fortunately, the symptoms are abating and I reckon with judicious use of antipyretics and antitussives I should recover quickly and without any sequelae.

Strepsils and a box of tissues? That's what I've had to hand. It's clearly doing the rounds of those who had previously escaped.

35 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Still, it’s not pleasant, the worst things being the intermittent dry cough and the fatigue. Nothing unmanageable, but tedious.

Yes, it's the cough that lingers.

Now the really odd thing about my current bout of covid is that the symptoms and progression are pretty much the same as I had in February 2020, before there were many known UK cases. Indeed the lingering cough - two to three weeks - has been a feature of my annual nasty cold for the last decade or more. One theory is that I have been susceptible to earlier variants than covid-19.

The teenage son of a friend was really ill in January 2020, with symptoms that were subsequently realised to be those of the early covid variant - strongly, if anecdotally, suggesting that covid-19 was circulating in the UK several weeks or even months before the first officially-recognised cases. 

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Does anyone need to be a doctor to know that the answer is highly likely to be 'some sadist sticking needles in my leg'? Now I bet if they tried that on Donk, the survivors just might come up with a better, less invasive procedure. Perhaps you could send him an invite for a little holiday on the mainland? 

I had a similar access problem recently - I found a manual override option mentioned in the handbook and after some crawling about, managed to get it open that way. 

Will have to see later if we can find the manual for the car and figure opening the boot, as it'd be much easier if that were possible. The car is pretty much scrap, but it is not a priority to deal with presently.

• Friendly/supportive 16

4 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love to see the wildlife, but not snakes!

I quite like snakes, they are fascinating creatures. When I was studying herpetology as a university elective, I much preferred to handle snakes (non-poisonous ones, obviously. Poisonous snakes are handled with great respect and very carefully by experienced people) than handling frogs and toads. Lizards are also quite pleasant to handle, although the big ones can give you a nasty bite with the associated risk of a very nasty infection due to the bacteria in the lizard’s mouth.

Interesting Frog Factoid: South American Tree Frogs secrete either a hallucinogen or a toxin according to species, but a South American Treefrog, whether hallucinogenic or toxic, raised in captivity in Britain will not even give you a headache – no matter how long you suck on it. The reason being it is what the tree frogs eat in the wild that is metabolised into either a hallucinogen or a toxin.

Frog Sucking” now that’s something for the jaded, louche nouveau riche…. A new TikTok craze?

Edited by iL Dottore
Correction
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, DaveF said:

the seat slowly descends to its lowest level.  If I take my weight off it and pull on the lever it rises again.  After doing this about three times it stays up for about half an hour before sinking again. It must be about 14 years old and has seen a lot of use.

When I worked in an educational computer centre for a London Borough, after lots of comments the centre manager decided to replace all the admin staffs chairs. Those of us on teaching contracts asked,if we could have new chairs too and as ours were usually the ones deemed too bad for other staff we were pleased to be told we could have some too and even have a choice of colour and arms or no arms. However there was a condition that the chairs had a limit of 100kg, and if this was an issue to inform the head of centre who would make arrangements for suitable seating. Now this all seemed very reasonable but one of the programmers was absolutely livid about this and felt he was being discriminated against by having a suitable chair provided due to his weight. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6