The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Dd, My tooth breakages always seem to coincide with holidays and wherever we go the dentists all seem to be on holiday. My brother first started taking DIY dentistry kits abroad with him when working in remote parts of Nigeria. When we first had Robbie I tripped up a few times trying to avoid him but I soon learned just to keep going and not try to avoid him as he can move much quicker than I can. Are cats less likely to move?

Tony

"Are cats less likely to move?"

Probably not, but it's the moving that makes one flounder - if it stayed still I would not have a crack in my tooth (Which is getting more irritating by the minute!).

Also, it only has to be too slow to move once!

• RMweb Premium

I am quite convinced one of the cats is a hired killer in disguise he waits until I am at the top of the stairs then dives through my legs, On the tooth front I have two false teetth after an incident with a 14 year old armed with a spade unfortunately the dentist made healthy sized replacements so now I look like a beaver as the rest of my teeth are small/

Guest tony graham

Whitrope pencilled in for Monday, BoD, as I make a point of doing the trackbed run an walk over Sandy Edge once a week for fitness purposes!

I suppose tomorrow wouldn't hurt either though. It seems that personal contact with Whitrope is an itch that requires frequent scratching!

Dave.

I know the feeling, off for the next 9 days so may have to take a trip up one day, that is if SWMBO hasn't anything planned for me

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Back in the home after a few well needed days away - now fully caught up with the events of the last few days, including Gordon's brother's case (hope all goes well there) BoD's Broadband - could be a problem with the phone line itself, and then the ISP has to raise a fault with Openreach - that can (and does) take time to investigate and rectify - Dave's episode of the downs - yes I agree that it is probably all down to modern life and the strain of virtually permanent bad news being blasted from the media - I've been through some bad recessions in my time, and survived the terms of Wilson, Heath, Wilson, Callaghan, (to name but a few).

Had some excellent days away, even if in two of the Travelodges we stopped in we had to ask for room changes - in one, the leg on the bed broke, and in another, the curtains wee hanging off, and only half the lights worked. Cheap to me for a hotel means inexpensive, but to that chain it appears to be poorly maintained.....

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Cheap to me for a hotel means inexpensive, but to that chain it appears to be poorly maintained.....

I've never stayed in one of the Travelodge type hotels in the UK but when I was working I can recall some very odd places that I went to at conferences. The sort of hotel that probably thought Fawlty Towers was a documentary showing good practice rather than a comedy.

Matthew and I did quite well with the shopping but we did forget pillows! We did have lunch at what I thought was Mr Ed's Diner but Matthew reminded me that Mr Ed was a horse and it is just Ed's. As I said Matthew could choose it was likely to be there or Wagamama. Aditi didn't join us. She thought her work was ready to send to the printer/binders but decided just to check the bibliography. This should have been generated by some cite while you write software but there were errors to be tracked down!

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks for all the support guys. Felt better today and after walking Abi in the park I came back and set about some models in the shed. I had four blue & grey Bachmann Mk1s whose roof ribs needed rubbing down and repainted. They've been hanging about for the last four months and finally I've got them out from under my feet. I also primed and painted the chassis for my NB Scott 4-4-0 so this may well be running under power this week after which I can concentrate on getting the loco looking nice and finally commission it into service. After this it was tea at the outlaws and when I got home, I got a visit from our Tony Graham and we've spent the evening putting the world to rights with some nice falling down water.

I should count myself lucky I'm easily repaired!

Off to Whitrope tomorrow, all being well, for my weekly test of stamina.

Six days of relative purgatory follow, but I'm not the only one in that boat so let the war dodgers in the offices do their worst. It'll be next Monday before I know it!

Dave.

Morning All,

It appears to be another nice morning here. It was quite chilly first thing, but is warming up fairly quickly. However, there is a nip in the air that signifies Autumn is upon us.

My experience of Travelodge hasn't been too good either. It seems to very much depend upon which Travelodge you end up in, but some (like the one I stayed in a couple of years ago) appear to be very run down. However, they are cheaper than most other Hotels.

Having said that, a grotty room and breakfast at a Little Chef... Enough said.

On a completely different subject - here's a picture I took while down in Munich. Certainly around here, a double-headed diesel-hauled train isn't something you don't see every day. These two made quite a noise as they pulled out with the train (which was heading over to Zurich). I didn't count the carriages, but I reckon it was only about eight up, so it must need two locomotives to deal with the gradients.

Quite nice to see a train going off the wires!

Have a good day everyone...

tnsid651893441midAKhy2BFcAAJCtToAP2.jpg

• Like 1

Good morning all.

Ouch Dd. It sounds as though your impact with the furniture must have been a painfull experience at the time and subsequently.

Nevertheless, enjoy your holiday when it comes about.

I'm thinking of Gordon golfing and Dave doing his Whitrope thing today. Best wishes to both of you.

Nothing to report from this part of the world today.

Have a good one all.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Looking sunny hereabouts and as it was much the same yesterday, we went for a long walk in the afternoon, collecting a basketful of chestnuts in the woods. We'll most likely do another trip to the hardware store later today as we plan to improve our rabbit-proofing measures in the living room.

Cheers everyone...

Pete, somehow I didn't see your question from Saturday about my giving up smoking.

My Doc gave me prescription for a nicotine mouth spray. It comes as a set of 4 vials, each with a reduced strength of nicotine.

I didn't even finish the first vial before it became unnecessary! I'd been a smoker of 30+ a day for 50 years, so expected to find it difficult, however it was unexpectedly remarkably easy.

Edited by DonBradley

Good Monday Morning Everybody! Waking up is better than the opposite........

I'm impressed, Don. The last time I tried my Dr. prescribed a tablet that did not stop my craving but even worse made me feel psychotic! Began with a Z is all I remember - my wife threw them out just in time.....

I do need to quit but admit I enjoy them too much.

Remain cool, Dave, may the Soundtrack running through your head be pleasant. :sungum:

I say that because all the time I'm awake I have music of some kind running through my head - I never thought whether it was just me! Right now it's "Good Times, Bad Times".

Cheers, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Oktas seem to be clearing though they have been leaking. Apparently it's Monday. I know that as SWMBO has told me she is off to work! Nice quiet day sorting the layout for a Beaconsfield show next weekend would seem to be in order.

You are not the only one with a soundtrack in your head Pete. Unless I am actually listening to something my mind replays music incessantly. Most days it's not a problem but on occasions it can be annoying if I have been listening to something too "catchy" recently. Must be something to do with many years of endless hours of rehearsals. I can still pick out all the different parts of some pieces that I rehearsed seriously 20 odd years ago. Scary thing the old noodle!

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Maybe it's because we are musicians?

Since 1966 I've been trying to imitate Eric Clapton's solo on "Steppin' Out" from the John Mayall's Bluesbreakers "Beano" album (not because I want to perform it but because it was a formative part of my guitar heritage).

It's actually fairly simple - it's the nuances that Eric plays/manipulates due to the interaction between him, the Les Paul and then his Marshall amp that I still can't get right! Plus it always irritated me that he "peaked" one verse too early with a flurry of notes that I can play several different ways without it sounding riight.

My point is that I can go over his complete solo in my head (even slowing it down but keeping to pitch) so I can analize it when on a train, for example.

Right now things are just flowing and at present I'm hearing Petula Clark's "Downtown" - which was a great single of it's time but not really my thing and I have no idea where it came from!

Best, Pete.

Guest Max Stafford

Good morning lads. Pete/Dave, I know exactly what you're on about and I think the technical term for this is 'earworm'!

Most days I'll wake up with a tune in my head, sometimes a known one, other times I wish I could write down the notes and sell the tune to a publisher! :D .

Enjoying tea and a roll in the conservatory. Abi will be off to the park soon, then Whitrope calls!

Well done with your smoking efforts Don. Although I was a bit on-off when I did it, I finally chucked it 11 years ago, just by going 'cold turkey' and amazingly just stopped and never bothered with it again!

Dave.

Dave, Is there a decent book on the Waverly Route that is a good read?

By the way sorry if anyone's got "Downtown" now stuck in their head - I've now moved onto "Don't Sleep in the Subway, Darling" - the mind is a wonderful thing is it not?

Best, Pete.

Morning all!

Have had 2 rest days from running now, so will go for a short-ish one tonight, and a long one on Wed.

Mixture of fast moving oktas and blue sky here. The Metcheck forecast for race day has windspeeds of 393mph on Sunday afternoon...

Edited by sixoh8sixoh