The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Have you seen “Ted”? I think rated “15”. Possibly older in some other countries. 

I believe that means you need a grown up to accompany you but as it's sometime since I've been to see a talkie it may have changed.

Does the organ still come up from the floor he says tongue in cheek.

• Funny 10

One way here people  keep the lid of wheelie bins shut from ferals and cockatoos is to stick old running shoes into the handles/hinge bit. The resistance from the shoes is too much for animals to lift the lid but when the mechanical arm grabs the bin and upends it into the truck the weight of the stuff in the bin overcomes the shoe resistance and the bin empties.

Unless your entire rubbish is tissue paper or bean bag balls, I guess.

• Like 14
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

One way here people  keep the lid of wheelie bins shut from ferals and cockatoos is to stick old running shoes into the handles/hinge bit. The resistance from the shoes is too much for animals to lift the lid but when the mechanical arm grabs the bin and upends it into the truck the weight of the stuff in the bin overcomes the shoe resistance and the bin empties.

Unless your entire rubbish is tissue paper or bean bag balls, I guess.

The food waste bins many of us have are quite small (25L)  and the bin men here tip them into a smaller than usual bin lorry. The clever fox used to knock the bin over onto its side and push the handle into the unlocked position. 

In our district the only wheelie bins are for garden waste. General rubbish and recyclables go in plastic bags. Foxes, cats and birds don’t attack the recyclable bags but if anyone puts a general rubbish bag out overnight it will be distributed over a few nearby gardens. At our previous house badgers would tip the metal dustbins over.  At first we thought it was human intruders, but soon learned otherwise. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, BoD said:

An altogether easy thing to do I have found.

As it’s my birthday I am pushing the boat out and sitting here with a nice glass of red from the ‘pope’s new castle’.  Valerie knows how to spoil me.  There may well be not much left of the bottle before the night is over.  Well, it is only once a year.

Happy birthday.

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The food waste bins many of us have are quite small (25L)  and the bin men here tip them into a smaller than usual bin lorry. The clever fox used to knock the bin over onto its side and push the handle into the unlocked position. 

In our district the only wheelie bins are for garden waste. General rubbish and recyclables go in plastic bags. Foxes, cats and birds don’t attack the recyclable bags but if anyone puts a general rubbish bag out overnight it will be distributed over a few nearby gardens. At our previous house badgers would tip the metal dustbins over.  At first we thought it was human intruders, but soon learned otherwise. 

We don't have "Bin men", just one bloke driving a truck. Or actually 3 blokes driving 3 different trucks (rubbish, recycle, green waste), unless  perhaps its the same truck and same bloke with just  the label on the side  changed each time.

Given the demand for labour in the construction and mining industries, "bin men" would probably bu99er off and get  say an entry level drillers assistant job in the mines where unskilled labour is currently getting the equivalent of minimum 60K up to 75K UK pounds. ($130K Australian, plus on top of that thousands in retention bonuses, meals, accommodation, flights etc...

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

WE don't have "Bin men", just one bloke driving a truck. Or actually 3 blokes driving 3 different trucks (rubbish, recycle, green waste), unless  perhaps its the same truck and same bloke with just  the label on the side  changed each time.

I don’t know how many of each type there are in our district but you sometimes see more than one out and about on bin days, I assume where collection routes cross. The Borough gets split so general rubbish, one week, recycling next week, with some roads on the opposite timetable.  However garden waste and food waste get collected weekly. The garden waste used to be seasonal (not winter) but it is all year round now. In sunny south Essex vegetation grows all year. We do compost a lot but still manage to make use if the garden bin some weeks in winter. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The bins themselves are 'locked' by positioning the carrying handle upright, at least one neighbour has put the handle down and the foxes have had a field day.   

10 hours ago, grandadbob said:

... our food waste bins are like that and it didn't take the local foxes very long to learn how to get them open.  People have tried putting bricks on them and putting them up high on big wheelie bins and that doesn't always work.  I wedge ours and our neighbours in a triangle of no less than three big wheelies.

I was quite proud of the DIY raccoon-proofing I was required to do in the Chicago suburbs. This was pre-wheelie bins and we had  a big plastic bin with locking handles that folded up, grasping a slot around the lid. This was no defence against raccoons. I used short bungee cords (stretchy straps with hooks, I presume these are familiar in the UK) to keep the handles in the locked position, even if the raccoons knocked the bins over.

A similar approach could work with wheelie bins, but they'd have to be removed when the bins are on the kerb/curb.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

kerb/curb.

Kerb - a roadside margin often delineated with large stones or blocks

Curb - to cease, abate, reduce or modify.  

The use of the latter when a kerb is referred to should be curbed

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

bungee cords (stretchy straps with hooks, I presume these are familiar in the UK

Indeed they are.  Though I am mildly surprised you didn't refer to them as "Occy Straps" which is how I came to know them in Australia.  Abbreviated from "Octopus" as they have multiple "tentacles" and can sometimes be linked in the centre but are more commonly just single straps.  Applied in as large or small a number as is thought necessary for the job - usually about six fewer than might be safe with the expression "She'll be right, mate"  

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Home a bit earlier than expected, I got my dates wrong and the event is not until next Thursday. Not long after I arrived home I got an automated call saying that the water supply might be cut off. Not completely surprised as the water company are franticly digging up the roads all over the place. Only strange thing was the message was from the Northumbrian Water Company!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Does the organ still come up from the floor he says tongue in cheek.

Stockport Plaza, which incidentally is celebrating its 90th birtday today, has a fine example of a Compton. It was built for the cinema's opening and was the first to have illuminated sunburst side panels. It is still is use.

https://www.cinema-organs.org.uk/venues/plaza-theatre/

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 12

1 hour ago, pH said:

You mean like this?

Yes, I had exactly the same Rubbermaid bin - only the version before the lid came equipped with those articulated handle locks.

It was light blue.

1 hour ago, pH said:

For bears, the city issued these:

I presume you have to release those locking clasps before setting the wheelie bin out on bin day?

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

3 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I just need to find a way to focus the camera accurately "in the field"

Was it a focus or an exposure issue?

It's hard not to get the image blown out, particularly with high intensity (Jupiter) adjacent to low intensity (moons) without a lot of exposure management.

Can you stack different exposures?

Does the camera show you the image you have taken immediately on a 'decent' size screen?

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Kerb - a roadside margin often delineated with large stones or blocks

Curb - to cease, abate, reduce or modify.  

The use of the latter when a kerb is referred to should be curbed

Where I currently reside, curb is accurate but I like to use both to avoid confusion.

A curb (North American English), or kerb (Commonwealth English except Canada; see spelling differences), is the edge where a raised sidewalk or road median/central reservation meets a street or other roadway.

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Though I am mildly surprised you didn't refer to them as "Occy Straps" which is how I came to know them in Australia. 

I do remember bungee cords as Octopus straps. I don't recall "Occy straps" but it would have been long ago.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday @BoD.. hope the wine was nice!

Garden waste bin left out for collection...hopefully the hoolie going on outside wont mean it gets blown over.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

32 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yes, I had exactly the same Rubbermaid bin - only the version before the lid came equipped with those articulated handle locks.

It was light blue.

I presume you have to release those locking clasps before setting the wheelie bin out on bin day?

We’ve got one of those blue bins as well, relegated to storage of something or other (it’s a while since I opened it).

Yes, we have to take the clips off. If we don’t, then the driver gets out of the truck, selects  one of several possible offences on a pre-printed sheet, attaches it to the bin and drives off without emptying the bin.

The bins have to be out by 7.30 AM, but may not be collected until about 4 PM. In the meantime, with the anti-bear clips off, it’s not unknown for the bears to sample the contents.

Our son was having problems with bears around their bins, so bought a ‘bear proof’ enclosure to hold the bins. Problem was, it wasn’t. In the first week they had it, a bear just demolished it. The store he’d bought it from refused to replace it, but the credit card company did.

• Informative/Useful 13