The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning All!

12 hours ago, Barry O said:

Mathematics.. or rather Pure Mathematics  is something I have always enjoyed. Applied Mathematics was a chore but I tolerated it. For some reason I decided to become an Engineer which involves a lot of Mathematics.

I always preferred applied maths, I wish I could appreciate the beauty that I know to be present in abstract pure maths.  It's just that I could never find it let alone take a good long look at it!

It was only when I started engineering and experimentation I a) twigged what the point of a lot of maths was and b) realised how useful it all is!    Now I'm retired, feet-up and poking about in astronomy there's still lots of complicated maths to get my head round 🤣

4 hours ago, polybear said:

B H........

Ruff

B G

Consequence of the double jabbing?

No, I think it's much more likely to be the thought of yet more blxxdy decorating!

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The bins themselves are 'locked' by positioning the carrying handle upright, at least one neighbour has put the handle down and the foxes have had a field day.

Our bins are more cunning than that;  they are locked when the handle is down (-45 degrees ish) and vertical, the handle has to be somewhere around or just above horizontal to unlock the lid.     That would be one really clever fox ....

In Other News

Been doing some "Life Admin" this morning that's been hanging around for far too long.   It wasn't that painful in the event and the chap on the telephone help line was, well, very helpful.   Shame about the telephone hold muzak ... 

Yesterdays pottering in the garage, assessing the various bits of engine provided very mixed results.  I've got two good mating crankcase halves which provide good main and timing bearings, good cam follower guides, cam followers to go in the guides, possibly a couple of oil pumps to chose from (once fettled), probably  a good crankshaft*  and a reasonable barrel, piston, head and valve gear.  Unfortunately, there's no suitable timing idler gear or anything to put it on.    The one from my original engine is not suitable as the timing gear was substantially altered and the two types are not compatible by a country mile.   Turdycurses then!     Still, two steps forward and one step back and all that.

* The good one has a non standard thread on the end which retains the primary drive sprocket.  Why? WTFK!

Did I mention that I've got the two shaft encoders working with the astronomy gadget the other day?  At work that would have been referred to as "an integration exercise".   The one on the Right Ascension axis (that's the axis that is driven by a motor so the telescope constantly tracks a heavenly body and no it's not Miss Miggins!) is actually mounted on the telescope.   I left the telescope tracking continuously for ~24 hours and over that period it lagged by about 10 minutes (time not arc) so the 'scope drive is running very slightly slow.  As far as I know there is no adjustment of the (stepper) motor's speed.  Maybe there's another Arduino project lurking then to build a replacement, adjustable motor driver?   That could easily develop into a full blown GoTo mount if I'm not careful.  Will it never end! 🤣

TTFNQ!

Alan

Edited by PupCam
Use the correct word Puppers ...
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I had an interesting comment from an oil trader today. He was remarking on crazy resale values for tired and worn out old oil tankers just now. Tankers are getting prices 2-3x what they'd have gotten 6 months ago, he asked the question - what possible reason could there be for that? He was speaking rhetorically, elements of the oil and shipping sectors are making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s from the....ahem....unusual conditions.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

Thinking of bins I have three ,all emptied fortnightly:

One for garden waste 

One for recycling

One for everything else.

They are all simple wheelie bins.

The concil do not collect glass or food waste separately because it would cost too much as most of the county is very sparsely populated.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

OK. Someone here might know. Two external speakers wired to 3.5mm jack plugs which are plugged firmly into the turntable’s “Aux Out” sockets. 

Sound still comes from the inbuilt speakers  not the plugged in ones. 

Turdycurses. 

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

OK. Someone here might know. Two external speakers wired to 3.5mm jack plugs which are plugged firmly into the turntable’s “Aux Out” sockets. 

Turdycurses. 

Aux Out sockets are usually ‘line level’ which needs amplification before going to speakers, although they are not normally 3.5 jacks.  What make/model is your turntable.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Turdycurses. 

The AUX OUTs should be plugged into the AUX INs on a receiver/amplifier.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, BoD said:

Aux Out sockets are usually ‘line level’ which needs amplification before going to speakers, although they are not normally 3.5 jacks.  What make/model is your turntable.

TEAC LP-R550 

I was following its own and nerdwork instructions. 

If the amp was under-powered for the speakers I would have expected no sound or very little through the externals rather than normal levels through the inbuilt. 

3 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Ah. Not what the instructions say. See above. 

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

15 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Ah. Not what the instructions say. See above. 

Given that the sockets are 3.5 jacks and the turntable seems to have its own amp and speakers,  they may not be using the term Aux Out  as normally applied in hi-fi set ups.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, BoD said:

Given that the sockets are 3.5 jacks and the turntable seems to have its own amp and speakers,  they may not be using the term Aux Out  as normally applied in hi-fi set ups.

Rick may have a different model but the line out on the back of the unit I found an instruction book had what are commonly called phono sockets. Phono plugs and sockets were once called RCA plug/sockets. The turntable (for the one I looked at) also has a headphone socket and USB out. I can’t imagine Rick has shoved 3.5mm plugs into a phono socket. 
More volume from the Teac unit is going to require either an external amp and speakers or a couple of active speakers (they have built in amplifiers. ). Either of those would get the signal from the Teac unit. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Rick may have a different model but the line out on the back of the unit I found an instruction book had what are commonly called phono sockets. Phono plugs and sockets were once called RCA plug/sockets. The turntable (for the one I looked at) also has a headphone socket and USB out. I can’t imagine Rick has shoved 3.5mm plugs into a phono socket. 
More volume from the Teac unit is going to require either an external amp and speakers or a couple of active speakers (they have built in amplifiers. ). Either of those would get the signal from the Teac unit. 

I looked at the instructions too and agree.  I have messaged Rick to check that I am looking at the instructions for the right model.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A brief pause will be enjoyed before meeting up again at 30:00

16 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A strangely UNinebriated but nonetheless very happy ID

UNinebriated? 
Or do you always use the 48h clock?

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Me I would have said Benny Hill but then the Thought Police would have been hot on my trail.

Have you seen “Ted”? I think rated “15”. Possibly older in some other countries. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3